Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Coupe Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coupe Questions

Couple of questions about the new generation 3 coupe. I keep hearing about a possible window option. Does anyone know if this is true and in what form they will be? Glass street rods have had roll up windows for decades, so is the new coupe still going to have the sliders? Second. Is the new coupe actually bigger enough to get in and out easier? Would anyone know if it's comparable, say, to a new Corvette? I sat in a generation 2 coupe and it was a deal breaker. Had trouble getting in and out. I'm 6 feet tall at 190 pounds, so I'm not that large.
    I have restored and built 10 vehicles , so I'm not a novice. Half were ground up built street rods.
    Thanks for any info that can be provided. Interested in building a gen 3 coupe , but need to be sure it fits , literally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Studi,

I would recommend finding one close to you or going to the factory. The interior is much bigger and the doors are wider too. Mine is just being built and I am a bit smaller than you so I will have to move my seat forward to reach the pedals. I know its not a lot of info but being this early in the builds, it's the best I can do. I m in SW FL if you're in the area and you are welcome to come see it. Garry Bopp stopped by today to visit me and see the Gen III.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    When looking at how hard it is to get in and out pay attention to the seats in the car. My roadster w/ hard top is similar to a friends Gen2 coupe. When I went to an ultrashield seat it got worse because of the high sides so I modified the seat.

See the low wide top on the outer side of the seat. That allows me to be probably 2.5 inches lower at the critical point where I am swinging my left leg in and getting my head under the edge of the roof.
    Last edited by CraigS; 01-06-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Studebaker396 View Post
    I'm 6 feet tall at 190 pounds, so I'm not that large.
    Interested in building a gen 3 coupe , but need to be sure it fits , literally.
    1. My brother and I went down to "Cruising The Emerald Coast" specifically to see the Gen-3 Type 65 Coupe.
    2. He fit, but it was tough for him to get in and out, but he's 6'4" @ 235-lbs with a 36" inseam and size 15.0 feet.
    3. I'm 5'10" @ 175-lbs with a 32" Inseam with size 9.5 feet and I fit great in the car.
    4. The wide Kirkey seats would give you even more room.
    5. In the attached video you can literally see him step out of the engine bay of my MK-4 so I'm not pulling your leg about his size.

If Bubba Could Get In & Fit In The New Type 65 Then So Can You!

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-06-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The gen 1 and 2 can be made to fit taller and larger drivers quite easily. Mark D can fit in mine and his head doesn't hit the roll bar. It does require dropping the floor. very doable when the body is off, doable with the body on just taking longer ( i.e. costing more money).

My coupe now feels like a production car. I wouldn't have it any other way.

So if its just a matter of fitting or not look at the gen 1,2. If you are up around PA you can sit in mine, it's at Mark D's. Come the spring if you are around MO it will be here and you are welcome to give it a try. I liked it so much I had the passenger side dropped as well, I end up spending half the time in that seat anyway. There is no significant or apparent weakening of the frame. with the added plates welded in place i suspect it is equal or even stronger.

there are pics of all this on the other forum.
    Mike M.