Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build School -- Worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Build School -- Worth it?

I've been thinking about a Roadster build for years, and am finally getting serious about it... I saw the build school stuff on the FFR website and thought that might be a great place to start. I skimmed the build manual over the Holidays and while most of it seems pretty doable, I have a ton of questions already. Plus it seems like actually seeing one built would be awesome.

Just curious if anyone has attended, and was it worth it?

Thanks!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    YES, If You Feel Unsure About Building A Car!

Attached are some really good videos which you may have already seen that may help you decide:

https://youtu.be/oFVZr3YYVb0
    https://youtu.be/b88XnNX8rnc
    https://youtu.be/V96-AQ1FghI
    https://youtu.be/MKsh3yTzGYA
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-03-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally didn't attend the build school before my first build. But it's local to me here in SE Michigan, and I've cruised to the school which they encourage on Saturday. Gives the students the chance to see other completed builds. I am very impressed with the facilities and the instructors. It's a true hands-on experience which allows you to see the product, assess your interest and ability to build yourself, and also get a lot of great tips and ideas. I've heard nothing but positive from many students, both here on the forum and also builders in our local club. Highly recommended!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My son and I attended the build school in May 2015. was a great weekend and well worth the time/money. To me the best part was the hands on experience. You can do as much or as little as you desire and try somethings your likely to have not done before, such as flare brake lines and rivet aluminum panels. You bring home a printed manual which will have many of your own notes and get $250 off your kit purchase. Allow time to tour the Rousch facility on Monday.
    Daily Driver 2011 Ford Mustang Convertible
    Donor 1997 Mustang Coupe
    Someday a Type65 Street Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I attended the school 2 months ago. Worth every dime. Came home and ordered the kit. Going to the school before ordering the kit was definetly worth the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved it! I already had a decent bit of experience wrenching on cars, but attending the class tied everything together. Also, because they are not paid by Factory Five you get some really great insights into what parts are worth swapping out. If nothing else, it ended up being a huge timesaver because I have avoided some really common mistakes. In hindsight, I would have ordered my engine and kit AFTER attending.
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I attended in July of 2016 and loved it also. You will not only see one built you will help build it. Take lots of notes and pics and ask questions. Enjoy.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    The build school a great deal
    I highly recommend it.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    x2 what Lahrs37 said.

Definitely go. You will realize how doable this project is. I attended shortly after my kit was delivered, and boy am I glad I did. Also, where else can you talk down-in-the-weeds details about car building for three days?

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    You will get your money back with interest on the time you save on your build...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Just do it. If I were going to attend again, I would take more notes and more photos. (I thought I took a lot of notes, but now I look at them and say "why didn't I write more about that?") Try to get involved in every task. It was a real confidence booster for me.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate all of the great advice! Now I just need to convince my wife that we need another car in the driveway (hers!)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where are you located? There are a ton of FFR's in So-Cal; maybe you could meet up with someone and get a look at their build.

I've never met anyone who didn't think build school was worth attending.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 all the responders who went to build school and have "1st hand" experience to share. I went in the spring of 2012. The instructors are knowledgeable and made good suggestions on practical options and 3rd party add ones. The best thing I found about build school was it removed any inhibition about tackling the project. The kit goes together quite easily and following the manual will yield a nice dependable ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. I'm up in Agoura Hills for now, but considering a move down to either Huntington/Newport/CDM or possibly nearer to San Diego (job change). I plan on looking up events to see what others have done, and may reach out to forum members as I get a little closer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I attended the build school in 2005. I was amazed how simple it was to build the car in 3 days. Also helped to understand the proper tools needed and "gotcha" items. I do recommend this. At the time 12 years ago, FFR was offering $1000 off the purchase price of a kit if you completed the 3-days. So I think it pays for itself (not sure FFR still does this, however).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester888 View Post
    I attended the build school in 2005. I was amazed how simple it was to build the car in 3 days. Also helped to understand the proper tools needed and "gotcha" items. I do recommend this. At the time 12 years ago, FFR was offering $1000 off the purchase price of a kit if you completed the 3-days. So I think it pays for itself (not sure FFR still does this, however).
    $1000?? Oh man! Now it is $250, but it still pays for itself in other ways.
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build