Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In need of steering shaft for 87-93 power rack and Mk3.1

Post Thanks / Like

In need of steering shaft for 87-93 power rack and Mk3.1

Hi all,
    Been awhile since i've been here on the site but I need help. This past year I was diagnosed with MS, yes it sucks but i'll muddle by. It has left me with a weak right arm and so I have decided to put power steering on my Mk3.1 that I built in 2006. With the help of a few of my great Cobra family here in Austin we got most everything done except the steering shaft. I didn't know the splined rack shaft to the F5 steering shaft was different so I am trying to find the right part.
    Breeze only had the shaft for Mk1 or 2, and Factory Five is out of stock of the right shaft for the Mk3.1 with power so I am scrambling to find it. I guess it was the one shipped with the original kit since many people just used the donor rack even without power.

Anyway, long story short, if anybody has a steering shaft for a Mk3.1 and a power rack they are not using I will gladly buy it from you and pay shipping.

Many thanks and hope everyone has a wonderful new year!
    Tom Harrison

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. But I applaud your determination to deal with it. Pretty sure you don't need a complete new steering shaft. Just the proper power steering adapter. Part number #14554. It should plug onto your existing steering shaft and an 87-93 PS rack. I don't have one around (sorry) but maybe someone else does.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    My memory is fuzzy on the 3.1 steering shaft but be aware that the shaft piece w/ the two flat sides can be bought by itself and then cut to whatever length you need. I think that this, plus the adapter EdwardB mentions, will get you going.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...FZVWDQodHsYIIQ
    Double check the dimensions of this to be sure it matches.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. But I applaud your determination to deal with it. Pretty sure you don't need a complete new steering shaft. Just the proper power steering adapter. Part number #14554. It should plug onto your existing steering shaft and an 87-93 PS rack. I don't have one around (sorry) but maybe someone else does.
    Yea, the shaft I have does not have a provision to replace the adapter. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same adapter issue with my 3.1. You maybe able to use a mixture of a shaft and new universal joint fittings from these people. http://www.woodwardsteering.com/
    Hope it helps.
    Marlin
    Mk 3.1, 3-link coilovers, 302 carb, kit bought prestarted, re-started by me 06/15/2012, 1st start 03/21/2014, go cart 04/20/2014, body to SRP 04/30/14 - 10/03/14 pickup, DMV done 01/07/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin View Post
    I had the same adapter issue with my 3.1. You maybe able to use a mixture of a shaft and new universal joint fittings from these people. http://www.woodwardsteering.com/
    Hope it helps.
    Marlin
    Wow! That may just work, I can make up the whole shooting match, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,
    If your car was built in 2006 it is a Mk3, not a 3.1 (3.1 was introduced in 2008). Their steering shafts are entirely different from one another. If it is a Mk3 your steering shaft will look something like this and the part number 14554 adapter won't work.

To couple a Mk3 shaft shaft to the rack you'll need a Unisteer #8050500

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/uis-8050500

Good luck with the both PS conversion and your health challenges!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, as usual you are correct! Its been awhile since I've been active working on it and forgot it is a Mk3. And that part is exactly what I need! Ordering right now, many thanks and I feel I have stopped this dreaded disease with Chemo and rebooting my immune system so hope to be here well into the future!
    Bless everybody here!
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the FFR shaft is .650 so larger than the 9/16. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooops, sorry looked at the caliper wrong............ It looks like .550 so perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Although Unisteer joint recommend above may make the connection, I would stay away from it. The reason is the joint is so massive that the pinch bolts can't compress the splines and so have little to no clamping ability and both spline connections will be loose. If you do get it I would recommend a. returning it and finding the Woodward pieces that fit (Weld to existing shaft) or b. having a machine shop continue the saw cut into the opposite side of the joint or significantly turn down the OD so the small pinch screws have a chance of compressing the splines.
    As we discussed on the phone the easiest thing to do is trade with another Mk3 owner with the black shaft that is switching from power to manual.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to find somebody that has a part they don't need. I'll buy it or give them a manual rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another good source for steering components/parts: http://www.flamingriver.com/
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom,
    I have one, actually I have two, lower steering shafts for Mk III with power steering. If you'll pay shipping, you can have one. I'll send you pics to your email if you like. I have found a way to get U.S. shipping rates from Montana to you, so not as bad as it used to be. Let me know your address if you want one.
    Cheers
    Bill
    FFR6843 Finished May 2010 - Sold
    FFR7366 Finished Sept. 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobracing View Post
    Hi Tom,
    I have one, actually I have two, lower steering shafts for Mk III with power steering. If you'll pay shipping, you can have one. I'll send you pics to your email if you like. I have found a way to get U.S. shipping rates from Montana to you, so not as bad as it used to be. Let me know your address if you want one.
    Cheers
    Bill
    Hi Bill,
    Im at:

9509 Woody Ridge View
    Austin, Tx.

Can't thank you enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    And let me know how to repay you.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomh440 View Post
    And let me know how to repay you.
    Thank you!
    What did you screw up ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, I sent you a PM.
    Bill
    FFR6843 Finished May 2010 - Sold
    FFR7366 Finished Sept. 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    What did you screw up ?
    More than you know.