Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dashboard questions/wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Dashboard questions/wiring

So if anyone has kept up with my build you realize that I am going with factory fives padded dash. The question I have is how do I go about go carting without installing the dash; and still have my guages working?? I do still have the dash supplied with the complete kit.. I was going to send it back but I may be able to use it. I would hate to have the padded dash in and get messed up during all of the sanding. I may install it after body work is done.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Only two gauges I had on my go kart were oil pressure and coolant temp. Dash was not in - the gauges were just zip tied to the square tubing.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as Chris, but never go carted it. Just slapped on the body, popped a GPS on the dash, and drove it over 5,000 miles that way till I painted it. You'll be good to go! Have fun!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Usudno,

My complete dash and stereo are in so after I get through the Go-Kart stage my game plan is to bag the chassis, then put the body back and do the body work. Disposable plastic car covers only cost around $10.00-15.00 dollars so I'm expecting to bag it with two or three covers before I start that process.

If you make it by the house this weekend maybe we'll both come up with a better plan; however, that is what I am expecting to do for now.

Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-06-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any reasons to definitely keep the body off until you have the dash completed? Can you mount the dash after the body?
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    Are there any reasons to definitely keep the body off until you have the dash completed? Can you mount the dash after the body?
    1. You can't access all of the screws if you mount the dash per the manuals instructions once the body is on.
    2. Also, some trimming MAY be required to the rolled edge of the body that butts up against the dash.
    3. Many folks make drop down tabs so that they can get to the screws with the body on, which is what I did.
    4. Others have created unique mounts on the back side of the dash. (See Edwardb's Build Thread)
    5. Please pay really close attention to this part of your build because your interior is always on display so take your time to get it right.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-06-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    1. You can't access all of the screws if you mount the dash per the manuals instructions once the body is on.
    2. Also, some trimming MAY be required to the rolled edge of the body that butts up against the dash.
    3. Many folks make drop down tabs so that they can get to the screws with the body on, which is what I did.
    4. Others have created unique mounts on the back side of the dash. (See Edwardb's Build Thread)
    5. Please pay really close attention to this part of your build because your interior is always on display so take your time to get it right.
    Those are all interesting points. I am planning on mounting my dash with industrial velcro - a tip I picked up from the build school.
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed my gauges while the dash was still uncovered and used numbered connectors so I could take the dash out at any time. I clamped the dash to the frame for my first start and go kart so that I had full instrumentation and could address any issues before the body was on. I too made drop down tabs and then mounted dash with the cover on and test fit the body. With some minor adjustments the dash fit nicely between the frame and body. I removed the dash and sent off to paint. When it returned with the body mounted and gaps set, I no longer had sufficient clearance to fit the dash between the frame and body. I had to very carefully use a multi-tool to fit behind and gradually grind about 1/32nd to 1/16th of the back of the rolled lip of the body to increase the gap until the dash slid into position. If you want high stress start grinding away at a freshly painted car. In hind sight I should have left the dash installed and covered it before sending off to paint.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Usudno,

My complete dash and stereo are in so after I get through the Go-Kart stage my game plan is to bag the chassis, then put the body back and do the body work. Disposable plastic car covers only cost around $10.00-15.00 dollars so I'm expecting to bag it with two or three covers before I start that process.

If you make it by the house this weekend maybe we'll both come up with a better plan; however, that is what I am expecting to do for now.

I did the "bag the chassis" thing when doing my bodywork, too - great at keeping all the dust from fitting doors, hood, and trunk lid from getting down in all the nooks and crannies.

I used bodyshop plastic, not one of those one-time-use covers, though - a large roll of this stuff is cheap and works for lots of other purposes, too.

Note that it was on casters, too, so I could roll the whole thing around my shop.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gumball/Chris,

Thanks For Making This Post!

I'll pick up those casters so I can move it in and out of the shop!
    Did you paint the body on or off the chassis?
    Any assistance will be appreciated regarding "Bagging The Chassis!"

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo I like the idea of bagging the chassis!! Gumball seems to have executed it very well. Gumball did you mount the body through the plastic?? Just cut a slit here and there for attachment points??

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't want to hijack the thread, but since the OP asked.....

Here's a link to my bodywork thread - the covering process begins with post #83 on p.3. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...is%27+bodywork

And for Steve - I painted it on the bodybuck, but not until I did all the gaps and a full mock-up (including dash, windshield, seats, etc...) while the body was still on the chassis.

When I pulled the plastic off the chassis, there was zero mess to clean-up!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chris >> aka: Gumball

You just saved me and a bunch of other folks some Figure It Out As We Geaux issues!

Thanks-O-Million!

Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-06-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    So if anyone has kept up with my build you realize that I am going with factory fives padded dash. The question I have is how do I go about go carting without installing the dash; and still have my guages working?? I do still have the dash supplied with the complete kit.. I was going to send it back but I may be able to use it. I would hate to have the padded dash in and get messed up during all of the sanding. I may install it after body work is done.

Any ideas?
    Well, I've used the box the gauges came in as a "dash" for a first start then later popped them in a of piece of sheet metal so the owner could take a cart run.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that Jeff!! This forum is great!! From this one post I have figured out how to have gauges during carting and how to mask the frame for body work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Others have installed the gauges in the dash and clamped the dash temporarily to the 3/4x3/4 tube.
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...8-7d9f2af7b850
    You just need to be careful to use something to keep the clamp from marring the vinyl.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assembled the dash before the vinyl so it would be up and running for the first start and go-kart. Removing the gauges and putting the vinyl on was not difficult when it can time to do that step. No worries about damaging the vinyl.
    20141102_123205.jpg
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    JIMOCO, I'm using the padded dash from Factory five. It will already be covered. I think I'm going to use the box method. I won't be concerned much with RPM or fuel level. If i can see water temp and oil pressure and trans temp I will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just wire the dash so that it can be removed. I completely wired my dash and have had it in and out covered and not several times.