Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California SB100 Title and Registration

Post Thanks / Like

California SB100 Title and Registration

My SB100, California Title and Registration Process Part 1 -- The initial research

First a disclaimer: At least some of this information will be changed or different when you actually get into the registration process. Some of it is because different DMV offices, and even different DMV personnel in the same office, interpret all this stuff differently. Some of it will change because even the DMV’s own procedures change on a regular basis. An example is that I could not get a 90 day temporary license, the procedure is only a 30 day now, but she gave me one through the end of February, that for me is almost 60 days (54, but who’s counting.) So be prepared for some unexpected issues, and be flexible and go with the flow. And for sure, go in with your happy face. Don’t tell them how to do their job with an attitude from you. I did offer to tell my rep that there is a DMV memorandum, VR-2002-25, to follow (twice) but she said she didn’t need it, so I let it go.

The SB100 process is to title and register a car using the exemption for all the smog devices in the car. Under the SB100, a specially constructed car (known by the DMV as a SPCNS) is smog-ed under the 1965 rules requiring only a closed crankcase and PVC system. The car is still considered a current year automobile, i.e., a 2017 car.

The whole process started with searching the forums, and collecting documents. Here are just a few:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...cess-for-SB100 (or http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776/SB100_Registration.pdf )
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Sequence-SB100
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-insu...nia-sb100.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...istration.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-insu...ion-sb100.html
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ration-Process

To do a search, use the format like this from your browser:
    site:http://thefactoryfiveforum.com SB100 or
    site:http://ffcars.com California registration , or any search term you want. This is the best way to search for anything on the forums (Thanks EdwardB). There are bunches of threads on the California SB100 title and registration process.

Other good sources I found:
    http://bauerltd.com/the-magical-sb10...in-california/
    http://www.replicarclub.com/Newslett...California.pdf

AskTheRef.org is the BAR site (or at least “a” BAR site). This site https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Verify_License.html , or a google search for Brake and Light inspections will get you a station for those.

Prior to the actual application, I downloaded DMV form REG 343 (Application for Title or Registration https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES ), and REG 5036 ( Statement of Construction https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES ). With the aid of my receipts and MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin), I filled out these forms the best I could.
    Last edited by boat737; 03-06-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

2. Thanks soaringDude, the911s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My SB100, California Title and Registration Process Part 2 -- The first visit to the DMV

On 1/5/2017 I went to the DMV in San Pedro, without an appointment. I showed up at 7:15, 45 minutes before the doors were opened at 8:00am. I was 7th in line. I started the process at a few minutes past eight, and by 9:40 I was walking out with the DMV forms, receipts, and the SB100 sequence number. The actual SB100 sequence number certificate is mailed and shows up in about 10 days or two weeks, but the DMV clerk will tell you what your number is before you leave.

Since I bought my kit from a private party, I had to write down on form REG 256 (Statement of Facts https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES ) that I bought an unassembled kit, took delivery of parts, and the car was not driven. So if you have any special notes like that you can down load that form as well.

The DMV partially fills out another form, REG 124 (a multi-part carbon copy form, you cannot download that one), which the CHP will use to assign the VIN.

I paid the fees and CA Use Tax, and I was given an “incomplete” registration, along with a 60 day temporary license to drive the car. The instructions on this registration itemized the following three inspections to complete the process: A smog certification, a CHP VIN assignment and major components verification, and a brake and light inspection. The note about the smog was very vague and didn’t specify who or where to go, but the DMV person said to take it to a BAR site (didn’t mention anything about a referee, I’ll have to check on that.)

Work on the car stopped for the month of January since I had to go out of town and was tied up with job training. February was sporadic as well. In retrospect, it would have been better to wait on starting the DMV registration process, but my type-A wiring in me just couldn’t wait on getting the SPCNS (SB100) sequence number. I know it’s a non-issue these days, and that the state will have plenty of numbers, probably throughout the rest of the year, but I wanted to at least start the whole big process. Oh well, it’s done and started now.

I called the CHP to check on appointment dates, and they were only running a week out, so I waited to make my actual CHP VIN and components verification appointment. During this first call, the officer did say I needed to have the body on, so that pushed back the process, since I have to get through my school and couldn’t get the body on until mid-February.

More in a month or so when I have time to get the body and lights on and other appointments scheduled.
    Last edited by boat737; 03-07-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the detail!

Post Thanks / Like
    My SB100, California Title and Registration Process Part 3A -- The CHP inspection

After a few cancellations (due to work and weather), I finally got my CHP VIN verification and assignment. The appointment is set up for a 2 hour process, but I was out in just under an hour.

To start, it is by appointment only, and it seems to be hit and miss as to how far out you have to wait for an appointment. The first time I tried, it was only running a few days out, but by the time I finally got my last appointment scheduled, I had to wait about 2 1/2 weeks. I was told to make copies of everything I had (all DMV forms, certificate of origin, all receipts-for the major components anyway, my drivers license, and certificate of sequence-the SB100 SPCNS number.) I was told to bring all originals and all the copies. Of course I forgot about my drivers license and didn't have a copy of that, but he smiled and said he would take care of that one. He looked over all the original documents for about 3 or 4 minutes, then looked at the car for 10 minutes or so. He looked at the FFR frame number, and asked if there was any other place, besides the driver side cross member, that the frame number was stamped. To my knowledge there is not, so that's what I told him. He seemed to know right where that frame number was stamped, so he may have been familiar with these cars.

He caught me off guard a bit by asking what the standard Horse Power rating is on the car, because he saw on the certificate of origin (I think) a note from FFR that if the car has more than the standard H.P. then it is to be used offroad only. At that point I thought I was screwed, because he's looking right at my brand new 427, and I know, that he knows how much H.P. is in that sucker. But again, he just smiled and moved on. Whew...

He didn't look at the engine block number, or transmission number, or any other number, so I guess he just took those numbers off of the receipts.

After that 10 minutes, he said it would be about 35 minutes to run the frame and component numbers in the databases. Almost to the exact minute, 35 minutes later, he walked out with the DMV form REG 124 (which the DMV partially fills out) completed with the VIN number. He used the FFR frame number as the VIN, which was nice, but not necessarily required. He said that since FFR has a unique number, that suffices. He also noted the dollar amount of the sum of the receipts that I took in, and mentioned that the DMV may collect additional fees on amounts above what I already had. He didn't really say if it was labor, or additional parts or what, so that will probably be another surprise by the DMV later.

The last thing he mentioned, was that it would be a good idea if I were to find one or two other inconspicuous spots to stamp or engrave the the VIN, to help identify it in case of theft. I'm thinking maybe do the same on the major components like the engine, trans, rear end too.

With the new VIN, while sitting in the truck in front of the CHP office, I called the BAR and was lucky enough to get an appointment the same day. More on that when I get home from the BAR.
    Last edited by boat737; 12-08-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: just a typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting your experience. I will be facing this same thing in SoCal soon and had a lot of questions about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My SB100, California Title and Registration Process Part 3B -- The BAR inspection

The closest BAR to my house did not have any appointment times for a week, but the one in Huntington Beach had an opening in 3 hours. So a leisurely 40 mile drive later I was waiting for my BAR inspection.

From the start, I got the impression that, again, I was screwed. Not that the referee was grumpy or surly, but he certainly was not happy or jovial. A permanent semi-scowl on his face, not mean or nasty, just quiet and hard to read. First thing he asked was if I had my Brake and Light inspections done yet, and I did not. He then hem's and haw's and tells me the BAR inspection is generally done AFTER the VIN, light, and brake inspections. I thought at that point he was going just walk away and not do it, but he stood there a bit longer, in silence. Since I trailer-ed it to the referee station, he asked me if I could get it off the trailer. Being as low as it is, I barely got it on in the first place, and wasn't looking forward to trying to get it off without tearing something up. I told him I could, but it's going to be a pain. Again, a non committal groan (or was it a grunt) and then he disappeared back to his office. Oh, he did comment about something on the paperwork, "in case it doesn't pass." In case it doesn't pass? Now I'm getting worried.

About now another fellow drives up with a question on a CHP noise citation that he got, and my inspector told him to come back after he gets an appointment, because he is all backed up today, and quote, "this one is going to take some time", meaning my inspection. OK, now I'm definitely worried.

Without any fanfare, he had me sign a couple of forms (authorization to work on my car.) He disappeared for another 10 or 15 minutes, in which case I still wasn't sure how this was going to turn out. He came back and told me to take the air cleaner off. He looked at the fitting that connects to the PS breather to the air cleaner, then he looked at the PVC valve in the DS valve cover. Next he told me to start it. After 2 or 3 seconds, he said to shut it off. That was it for the inspection part.

He went back to his office for another 15 or 20 minutes before finally coming out and have me sign two more of the same forms I'd already signed. At some point, he came out and asked if I wanted to smog it by "Body style", and I said yes. (the other alternative is to do it by "engine block year", which is another whole ball of worms. Doing the BAR smog by body style is the best way to go for these SB-100 SPCNS, but it's your choice. See the links in post #1.) Another 10 minutes or so, (to my great relief) he showed me two completed forms that I was to take back to the DMV. I passed. Up until that moment, I wasn't sure I was going to.

Lastly, he had to put a smog exempt sticker someplace on that car that was not removable. About the only place away from the heat, fluids, and fumes is the firewall. I wanted to put it in the footbox someplace, but there was no place where there is no insulation. He didn't really like that idea anyway. So the firewall it is. Two things when he put it on: 1-he didn't clean the area off, and 2-he put it on crooked. Crooked, as in not level. There goes my OCD going off, and I can't even see it while I'm driving. But I know it's there, crooked.

Before I left, he warned me in no uncertain terms to not clean the sticker with ANY fluids. No cleaners, solvents, or even moisture of any kind. The sticker is not real permanent, and can be easily destroyed with chemicals. He suggested to get a plastic cover and mount over the sticker to keep it clean. I think I will go one step further and make an aluminum plate to cover up that gawd-awful crooked sticker completely. A few nutcerts and 6-32 screws and it will be easily removable in case some official actually wants to see the ridiculously skewed and not level sticker. Did I mention the sticker is not straight?

Bottom line, I got my BAR inspection completed, but it took an agonizing 1 hour and 45 minutes. Next up is the brake and light inspection. That is tomorrow's project.
    Last edited by boat737; 03-07-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added note to smog by bodystyle

8. Likes rezell3d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Well written, I was suffering with you.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Did I mention the sticker is not straight?
    You could always take the car apart and rebuild it all askew

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    You could always take the car apart and rebuild it all askew
    It was all I could do, and it took all my skills, to not do that the first time. But I like the way you think. BTW, the sign in my garage says, "We do precision guesswork".

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the dimensions of the sticker? Thinking of having that plastic window pre made and maybe give here guy a target area for the sticker in advance. Might just upset him though..
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    What are the dimensions of the sticker? Thinking of having that plastic window pre made and maybe give here guy a target area for the sticker in advance. Might just upset him though..
    It's 4 x 2-3/8 inches. Of course that is adjusting for the un-straight, skewed, crooked, cockeyed, awry, and twisted sticker that I have.

I'm on the east side of the hill. Where you at? and do you mean #8969 on your signature?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 03-07-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My SB100, California Title and Registration Process Part 3C -- The Brake and light inspections

Today was the Brake and Light inspections. Once again, I thought this would be a breeze, but no. The big glitch I had was my own doing though. I forgot to mount the license plate light. Again, I trailered the car to the brake and light inspection shop.

The brake inspection was pretty much just that, a visual inspection. All good. The lights went fine, till he asked me about my license plate light. Oh crap. I have been putting that off due to the fact that the little hump in the MK4 trunk is a little low, and a little off center. I was going to "have the body man fix that". (Sorry Bat). The wires were there, just no bracket/light. I offered to hook up a test light to the wire, but he said no. I said I could go get it and hook it up to see it light up, but he said it needed to be mounted to the car. So home I go, make a crappy little bracket to screw into the hole where the trunk latch handle goes, and then used two wire nuts to hook up the two wires. Back to the shop, and one final visual look and all was good. He also said that the backup/reverse light is required too, so I'm glad I went to all the trouble to put that on.

Another big time consumer of the whole deal was that the inspector/mechanic did not no how to enter the year of the car, or the model of the car. Of the dozen or so pieces of paper I have collected for this title and registration project, I think you could find about a dozen different model names, and a few different years. We finally decided on model year of 2017, which I think is correct for the CA DMV, and something like SPCNS 1965 Cobra Replica as the model. No one really knows for sure. I suggested Roadster, but he wanted something off of an official piece of paper. We found that one on the BAR certificate I think. So there ya go.

From start to finish, it took in the neighborhood of 1 hour and 45 minutes. It would have been 45 minutes without my trip home in the middle, and probably 15 minutes if we (he) knew how to fill out the forms with the proper info.

I drove by the DMV just now, and the line was out the door, so I think I will get going early tomorrow, and walk in without and appointment, and see if I can get this paper project done and finished. Stand by.

On another note, the inspector today really studied my BAR/smog exemption sticker. I would like to think he was figuring out how to fill out his brake and lamp forms, but deep down I think he was mesmerized and dumbfounded by the way the sticker was placed on the firewall. Crooked! Then again, maybe not.
    Last edited by boat737; 03-08-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This car will forever be known as The One With The Crooked Smog Sticker, even if it's covered up.

Glad to see you're almost there...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    This car will forever be known as The One With The Crooked Smog Sticker, even if it's covered up.

I know. I KNOW! A real pisser it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also on the east side. PM me. Love to see our build. And yes, my signature line was wrong. Should have been 8901. 4969 was just the Stewart shipping number apparently.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post

A long time ago when I had mine done at BAR, I didn't like the location either. So, when I got home, I took out my heat gun, removed it slowly, and put it in another spot out of sight (and straight). Then put a coat of epoxy over it. No harm, no foul.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    A long time ago when I had mine done at BAR, I didn't like the location either. So, when I got home, I took out my heat gun, removed it slowly, and put it in another spot out of sight (and straight). Then put a coat of epoxy over it. No harm, no foul.
    Now you got my attention. PM with the details and specifics on how, what epoxy, etc. Did you have to use anything to get it to re stick itself?

Post Thanks / Like
    My SB100, California Title and Registration Process Part 4 -- The second trip to the DMV

I went to the DMV first thing today, without an appointment. I got there an hour and 20 minutes prior to opening at 9:00 am, and the line was already 20 deep. By the time the doors opened, there were probably 20 more in the appointment line.

The good news is, it didn't take THAT long, and I am finished. (well, except for the part when the personalized plate comes in and I have to go back and have that assigned.)

So I actually started at 9:15, and was walking out the door at 10:00 with new registration, title, and plates. She kept most everything I had accumulated: receipts, the MSO, the inspection certificates, and DMV forms. Yesterday I stopped off at FedEx Office and made copies of everything, so at least I have copies of the whole thing.

Now the bad news. She did add everything all up and charged me another $1859 in more taxes. I half expected that, but I also sort of thought that they had already gotten the engine, trans, etc stuff on the first visit, and it was even tallied on one of their forms. But she was sure that the only tax I had paid so far was on the FFR kit only. Bummer.

Oh well, it's still a pretty big hurdle to get done, and I'm happy about that. Ya just never know how bad it's going to be when you have to work with the government. I have to say, it wasn't an easy or flawless process, but I held my nose and managed to get through it "one step at a time" as they say. (Who are they that say that's what they say?) Considering this is California, It's actually pretty doable.
    Last edited by boat737; 03-08-2017 at 03:38 PM.

21. Thanks B Campbell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did make up a little SB100 checklist if anyone is interested. Tried to upload the .pdf, but this site will not let me.

Review Forums and threads, gather info and ideas
    Obtain Manufacturer’s statement of origin (MSO)
    Obtain Receipt/Invoice for Motor
    Obtain Receipt/Invoice for Transmission
    Obtain Receipts/Invoices for major components
    Obtain/Download DMV Form REG 343, Application for Title-Registration
    Obtain/Download DMV Form REG 5036, Statement of Construction
    Obtain/Download DMV Form REG 256, Statement of Facts (if needed)
    1st DMV visit-Request to Register Specially Constructed Vehicle, or SPCNS
    Pay fees and tax (Tax may be deferred til end?)
    Obtain SB100 Sequence Number, Local DMV office calls Sacramento, verbal only
    Obtain Temporary Registration, the pink window tag
    Obtain partially completed DMV Form REG 124, the CHP will complete
    Leave DMV with Receipts/Invoices, DMV Forms, and Sequence Number all together

Receive SB100 Sequence Number in the mail
    Make CHP VIN inspection and assignment appointment
    Make Brake & Lamp inspection appointment
    Make BAR/Referee/Smog inspection appointment
    Obtain Insurance (liability, collision, comprehensive?)
    Complete CHP VIN inspection and assignment
    Complete Brake and Lamp inspection
    Complete BAR/Referee/Smog inspection
    Make Copies of ALL forms, receipts, paperwork
    Final DMV visit-Complete all paperwork
    Registration Documents/forms
    Temporary Registration Certificate
    Brake and Lamp Inspection Certificates
    BAR/Referee/Smog Inspection Certificates
    DMV Form REG 124 CHP VIN Certificate
    DMV Form REG 343, Application for Title-Registration
    DMV Form REG 5036, Statement of Construction
    DMV Form REG 256, Statement of Facts (if needed)
    SB100 Sequence Number SPCNS certificate
    Original MSO Certificate
    Receipts for all major components (kit, engine, trans, etc.)

23. Thanks B Campbell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on completing such a drawn out process. I would pay someone big money to do all that for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    Congratulations on completing such a drawn out process. I would pay someone big money to do all that for me.
    I did pay big money. And I still had to do it myself... (Although, the CHP and BAR visits were free. Maybe if the BAR wasn't free, my sticker would be straight.)
    Last edited by boat737; 03-09-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am surprised that the BAR and CHP were free. I did not think any state agency in CA would be free. Does Sacramento know they are doing something free. Heads will roll I tell you.

27. Likes tbl100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When are you coming by to take me for a ride?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    I am surprised that the BAR and CHP were free. I did not think any state agency in CA would be free. Does Sacramento know they are doing something free. Heads will roll I tell you.
    If I remember right I paid the DMV almost $3000 for this registration process! Nothing is free here in the peoples republic.
    Unless of course you do not want to work, then you get lots of free stuff. Sorry, I digress.

(Edit; $3721.00 to be exact.)
    Last edited by BB767; 11-04-2019 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Amount
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

30. Likes tbl100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys know what % of costs they use to determine total tax amount?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy O View Post
    Do you guys know what % of costs they use to determine total tax amount?
    No, I really don't know the methods or procedures they use. My first visit was for fees and use tax ($1214), and the last visit they got me for more "taxes" (don't know what taxes, but it was $1859). Bottom line, $3073. The annual renewal is about $340.

Post Thanks / Like
    @boat737 when you say Obtain Receipts/Invoices for major components what other major compenets are they looking for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sh1nn3r View Post
    @boat737 when you say Obtain Receipts/Invoices for major components what other major compenets are they looking for?

During the CHP inspection, the inspector/officer wanted all receipts I had. The big one's were engine, transmission, FFR kit, and some misc ones like the stereo and tires (I think.). Basically he just wants to make sure none of the build is from stolen parts. He takes all the serial numbers and (I assume) runs them through some data base to verify none stolen. In my case, I had to get bills of sale from the original buyer for the rear end, transmission, etc. of my FFR build, since I bought it second hand. The whole visit was less than an hour start to finish.

I would assume, since you bought the car complete, that one bill of sale would suffice. But on the other hand, it would probably be better if that bill of sale listed the VIN, engine serial number, transmission serial number, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the detailed write-up - huge help! I am about to start the process and reading the report definitely gave me a much better idea of how the process goes.
    MKIV complete kit #8523, IRS, Coyote Engine, TKO 600, 3.55 rear end, PS, and a whole lot more! Graduated in May 2021.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Amazing. Here in Florida I can't even TITLE my Mk4 because the state changed the rules in 2020. Used to be a piece of cake. Coulda done it in 30 minutes in 2018 or 2019. Now the manufacturer has to be registered with the state to title the car. FFR is not registered. Car sits in the garage.
    I lived in California for 74 years. I shoulda stayed there. I knew about SB100, but I moved to Florida to retire. Shoulda built the car before I left.

Sad Jeff
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^

Well that's a switch!

Post Thanks / Like
    From my first exposure to the SB100 process, I always said that it was very uncharacteristic of the CA political atmosphere. It is a bit tedious, but definitely doable and a welcome addition to the DMV procedures for us builders.

Jeff, been following your troubles in FL, but don't lose hope. Where there's a will, there's a way. Keep in touch with F5R, and hopefully between you, F5, and FL DMV you'll get it all done. Then you can pass it all along on the Forum and be a hero to the next guy. All the best.
    Last edited by boat737; 06-04-2020 at 07:56 PM.

39. Thanks Mrallsport32 thanked for this post
    Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What ever happened to the crooked sticker? Did you successfully fix it?

I really need to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh.... The old crooked bar sticker....

Well, I didn't want to try and pull it off, and probably ruin it, so.... I covered it up. Can't even see it. And it's protected from the engine bay elements too. The plate can come off by removing the four screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello to everyone I recently bought a FFR from San Diego area the car has been titled and registered for over 20 years I can not fined any kind of VIN tag on
    the car does the CHP attach a vin tag they used the FFR# but in those days FFR was not stamping the frames . I am a little concerned about this . It did come from a licensed dealer and there is some what of a paper trail so don't think there is any funny business going on .
    Thanks for the great thread
    Kato

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not positive, but when the CHP assigns a VIN with no other frame number, they attached (by rivets I believe) a small blue metal tag with the VIN. Check all around the engine bay, and under the dash on a frame cross member. Possibly in the door frame area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response .I have looked everywhere I can think of no tag do you think I should call CHP ? don't want to open a can of worms that can't be closed.

I have spoken to the dealer they won't be back in the shop until 1/4 /21 they are porsche restorer so I'm hoping they have some experience with sort of thing

Thanks again
    Kato

Post Thanks / Like
    the ffr number is located on the drivers side rear wheel well inside the square tubing between the seat and tire you have to remove the tire to see it its actually welded in not stamped they have never issued a VIN number

Post Thanks / Like
    OK thanks I will see if I can find it
    Kato

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acmikee View Post
    the ffr number is located on the drivers side rear wheel well inside the square tubing between the seat and tire you have to remove the tire to see it its actually welded in not stamped they have never issued a VIN number
    Only on the early cars, anything Mk3 and up, are under the dash on the drivers side
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast