Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New idea for exhaust smell reduction/elimination

Post Thanks / Like

New idea for exhaust smell reduction/elimination

I have come across something that is specifically designed to eliminate exhaust smell. I was wondering what you guys think about the idea. How can we be pretty sure it would work on the 818? Buying the part? Yeah, at 438 bucks coming from a Porsche 918, you better be sure. lolll

Maybe we could design our own roof air deflector like the Porsche's?

Also see starting at 14:39 on this video and listen at 15:12.

Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    It might work but will require a lot of trial and error. The aero on each car is different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think step one would be some testing as to the current airflow and the path the exhaust takes to the cockpit. It will be difficult defeating something without knowing the current flow path.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting, Frank. That little scoop atop the windshield adds a little positive pressure to the cockpit, I suppose. I'm looking forward to somebody making a similar little scoop on an 818, and the results. I would make and test it but now my topless 818S is an enclosed 818C.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I would think step one would be some testing as to the current airflow and the path the exhaust takes to the cockpit. It will be difficult defeating something without knowing the current flow path.
    Yeah which is why trial and error saves our lives. loll But it takes usually a hell lot of time and efforts.
    My premise is that there is airflow coming back as it seems to happen to everyone here. The question like you mentioned is exactly which path it's going through, without blocking this precise path chances are that scoop wouldn't work. Or maybe if the positive pressure added in the cockpit is sufficient it would block the path no matter where it's coming from, I don't know and aerodynamic is some time tricky.

I have on my post-registration list this to-do to build something to test it and try to find that path this way. Of course that won't happen until summer 2018, so if anyone's interested (and has an S) in testing the concept before me, feel free and plz post your development and results.

Pete, chop off that roof and give it a try. lolll Joking.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021