FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hagerty Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hagerty Insurance

I recently sold my 33HR which was insured through Hagerty (I've had Hagerty for a number of years on various cars) and asked them to transfer the coverage onto my 818. They told me they won't insure the 818 because it is not a replica vehicle. This is in Massachusetts so I'm not sure if that makes any difference where it would be classified as a "specialty Vehicle". Now I'm off looking for a new insurance firm.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Canada, where we also have Hagerty which I've used for other cars. Who decides if it is a replica or not? I've got the 818C so what if I say it's a replica of a Porsche Cayman? I do think it sort of looks like that. I haven't approached them yet about insurance.

What sense does it make whether a kit car is a replica or not? Does it make it more or less safe?

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Robbin, he is a broker and has obtained insurance for my with Cobra replicas. I don't get Hagerty's position that because the car is not a replica, they cannot insure it. So that would mean they will not insure a GTM either. Sometimes I just believe these insurance salesmen don't know or understand what they are writing insurance for. Robbin understands the industry and the hobby. Given him a call and it is likely he can help. Have recent pics from all sides, interior and engine compartment available as they are required to determine a insurable value. I list of components and values will also be useful.
    He wrote insurance for my MK4 both during and after construction. He provided insurance on my current Mustang restomod during the build.

Robbin R Terry
    POB 229
    Auburn, IL 62615
    www.midwestclassicins.com
    Office - 217-438-6235
    Fax – 217-438-3347
    Hours 8:00am – 4:30pm CST Mon-Fri
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    New project, 1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered restomod. Started 10/14/16.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    I recently sold my 33HR which was insured through Hagerty (I've had Hagerty for a number of years on various cars) and asked them to transfer the coverage onto my 818. They told me they won't insure the 818 because it is not a replica vehicle. This is in Massachusetts so I'm not sure if that makes any difference where it would be classified as a "specialty Vehicle". Now I'm off looking for a new insurance firm.
    Had the same issue with Hagerty and tried them multiple times over several years to insure my 818. I also have 5 other cars insured with them. The 818 is insured with American Classics. They have been good to deal with, but have not had a claim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    Had the same issue with Hagerty and tried them multiple times over several years to insure my 818. I also have 5 other cars insured with them. The 818 is insured with American Classics. They have been good to deal with, but have not had a claim.
    Correction: American Collectors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m getting closer to finishing my 818 so I would ask what value you agreed upon for your car? I’ve spoken with my agent about bundling with my other policies and he was favorable to an agreed amount coverage assessed by an independent appraiser. Am Fam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    I’m getting closer to finishing my 818 so I would ask what value you agreed upon for your car? I’ve spoken with my agent about bundling with my other policies and he was favorable to an agreed amount coverage assessed by an independent appraiser. Am Fam
    Agreed value $25,000 with no appraisal and certainly less than I have in it. Premium $890.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got my Hagerty renewal. $401 for one year. Agreed value $22.5K. I get it thru:

Robbin R Terry
    POB 229
    Auburn, IL 62615
    www.midwestclassicins.com
    Office/Text – 217-438-6235
    Hours 8:00am-4:30pm CST Mon-Fri
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up insuring it through Grundy. $500 deductible, $25,000 value (can increase if I get an appraisal) $500k liability. Only $380/year!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got mine through National Corvette Museum. $35K agreed value. About $350/yr.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Canada as well. Having issues finding insurance for my 818 - insurers state that you must be 35 years old to get kit car insurance. Seems to be consistent across different companies.
    Wondering if anyone has this rule on their policy and if there is a way around as I won't be that age for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeraj Ahluwalia View Post
    In Canada as well. Having issues finding insurance for my 818 - insurers state that you must be 35 years old to get kit car insurance. Seems to be consistent across different companies.
    Wondering if anyone has this rule on their policy and if there is a way around as I won't be that age for quite a while.
    So if you are over 35 in Canada, who can you get kit car insurance with?

Post Thanks / Like
    canada is hard to get insurance, we cant get the US insurance. I am 49 with a perfect record and the only way I could get insurance was thru facility. I did have Zehr insurance but they dropped me after 2 years said I should not have gotten the policy in the first place, they dont not cover the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    The issue may come down to precedent, repair cost and risk aversion. Insurance (and real estate) rely on "comparables" for price estimates and taking on risk. Hard to find 818 and GTM comparables.
    You will likely find similar circumstances for a hand built original. Uniqueness and volume are factors. A discontinued car makes it less attractive to insurance companies. They may look at custom fabrication and no service/part support as justifying the car as a likely write-off in any claim. They establish rates or reject coverage as the car being a worse case scenario when damaged. I do not know, but I suspect the majority of typical insurance policy claims are not "totals".
    jim