Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for an alternator suggestion (351w complete kit)

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for an alternator suggestion (351w complete kit)

Just as the title states. I'm looking for something at a local parts store. Nothing crazy. I'm just not sure what make/model i should be asking them for. I would like it to be compatible with the Ron Francis harness. Any help is appreciated.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just installed a Tuff Stuff one wire alternator that I got through March Performance this weekend.
    It's a 100 AMP single wire unit.

To install it I cut the connector off of the Ron Francis Harness and tied the two red lines together per the FFR wiring diagram.
    The other two small lines were capped off and are not needed when converting to a single wire system.
    I confirmed this with Factory Five and Sir Edwardb (Forum Member) before going down this path.

Hope This Helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Francis harness is plug & play with a Ford 2G alternator. Walk into any parts store and pick one up for a 1990 Mustang GT. Some will tell you that it will burn the car down...yes, there have been instances of this occuring in Fords from the 80s-90s era BUT those have been traced to mechanics ignoring the recommendation to replace the electrical pigtail when changing out a 2G and simply reusing the old corroded connectors which can ultimately overheat due to high resistance. Since all of the plugs and connectors in the Ron Francis harness are new this is a moot point.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    How about pulley setup.. I don't have power brakes or steering. Just running a standard rotation water pump and stock style balancer. Am I looking for the alternator bracket and crank/water pump pulleys from a 90s mustang?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also... water pump wise. What setup are you guys running?? Standard flow are counter clockwise?? I'm trying to get all of my front accessories lined up before the motor gets here. Thanks.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    March Performance
    #30305 / Water Pump Rotation
    #30315 / Reverse Water Pump Rotation

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo.. part numbers arnt the problem, matching the correct pump, water pump pulley, crank pulley, alternator and bracket are!!

Post Thanks / Like
    93-95 95A F-150 alternator from Rock Auto, www.cvfracing.com for pulleys and brackets (can be configured for different balancers and pumps)

Post Thanks / Like
    So my balancer is a professional products 28oz part number 80006. Its a basic 4 bolt balancer. I plan on going with a standard flow water pump. The above mentioned alternator will probably be what i go with. My issue is now a crank pulley as well as an alternator bracket and probably pulley to use a v groove belt. A crank pulley shouldn't be that difficult to find off of a 70's mustang with a 351w. The problem that i have is i'm not sure that the alternator bracket from that same 70's mustang will fit. I'm not sure if power steering and brakes play into how the bracket is created. I'm not looking to break the bank with a set from march. Something simple is all I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    After looking for a while today I came across this company. Anyone ever use any of their products??

http://www.cvfracing.com/Ford-302-V-...alt-system.htm

It seems like an affordable solution to what I am looking for. Comes with the pulleys and alternator bracket in either billet or black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    After looking for a while today I came across this company. Anyone ever use any of their products??

It seems like an affordable solution to what I am looking for. Comes with the pulleys and alternator bracket in either billet or black.
    That is what I used, wanted the v-belt look. Bought the parts separately rather than a kit, I needed the flexibility to make things fit right. Nice stuff, cheaper than March, think I paid less than $200 for pulleys, brackets, spacers, etc. Check your water pump rotation first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alig2; 01-09-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice guys

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the CFR bracket setup (based on a tip from Jeff Kleiner I believe) for a 302 Mustang 5.0 engine. Here's a link to the bracket set and here's a photo of the final result:

Img_0137.jpg
    Last edited by jakester888; 01-10-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I notice that they also offer an alternator so you know you are getting a combination where everything fits.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I think I'm going to go with the cvf system. Thanks again guys for all of the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my Concept 1 billet brackets, chrome a/c compressor, chrome alternator with all the bolts and spacers from your engine builder. They are a little pricey, but what isn't.

Glen

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent an hour and a half at orielly auto parts trying to piece a system together and ended up empty handed.. without the year make and model of each pulley they are lost!!

Post Thanks / Like
    And the timing cover and belt system calls the shot for the water pump. TriStar gave me all the part numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like you've settled on v-belt, but for those wanting serpentine belt here is the Breeze front dress for a 351 based engine (shown on Ford Racing 427 Crate Engine). I designed our crank pulley to work with the HIPO balancer supplied on the Ford Racing crate engines, without the use of a spacer. This means it will not fit with a stock style balancer.

The belt is not installed in the photos but it takes a kidney shape with the back of the belt riding on the water pump pulley for reverse (CCW) rotation.
    Last edited by Mark Reynolds; 01-10-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark that's a nice setup there! Unfourtunaly I'm running a standard rotation pump and I like the simplicity of the v belt setup. I actually ran across and fairly inexpensive gilmer drive setup but that's a bit overkill.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found a few setups using serpentine belts with standard rotation pumps and the alternator on the passenger side. If that is the case, I should be able to just grab a set of underdrive pulleys from a 5.0. I may need a spacer for my blancer but that should be it. Can someone correct me if I am wrong here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it just dawned on me. Why can't i run a stock 302 crank pulley and water pump pulley?? It will be a 6 rib belt of course but it seems that its the same as some people are running. I just think going with the v belt is causing me headaches and more money than i really need to spend.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't give you any specific recommendations for your setup. There are just so many variations. But I can tell you from two SBF builds, one where I was determined to stay with V-belt, and the most recent where I went serpentine, there are many more options with serpentine. They're pretty much where the industry has gone for quite some time now. I think you're making the right choice.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many more options is correct. I can grab a stock crank shaft pulley and water pump pulley to go along won't the 6rib on the alternator. Then it's just a matter of an alternator bracket and spacer for the crank pulley. I will probably be at about 125 for the whole setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found a few setups using serpentine belts with standard rotation pumps and the alternator on the passenger side. If that is the case, I should be able to just grab a set of underdrive pulleys from a 5.0. I may need a spacer for my blancer but that should be it. Can someone correct me if I am wrong here?
    Don't run under drive pulleys, they can cause low RPM charging issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually found an explorer motor 5.0L at a local junkyard. I am going to grab the water pump pulley and crank shaft pulley and alternator and bracket off of it. I will replace the alternator itself and blast and paint all of the pulleys. I also have a .950 crankshaft spaced on order to match up with my balancer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd bet that the explorer uses a reverse rotation water pump. Is the pulley smooth or groved? Smooth=reverse rotation (CCW) groved=standard (CW). Pulleys are direction specific and have different bolt paterns so one for a reverse pump won't fit standard and vice-versa. Save yourself a bunch of grief with fussing around mixing & matching and just make a call to Mike Everson:

http://www.replicaparts.com/standard...ump%20page.htm

Combine this with the 2G alternator I mentioned in an earlier post and the whole works will be a painless "plug & play" deal.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize the pulleys were direction specific. If they are... can't I just grab a water pump pulley for a sbf? If not I may get mikes setup

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have pictures of mikes setup. I just realized it includes the water pump for the 300. That's not bad at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the pulleys have a slightly different diameter for the 4 bolt pattern between the grooved and smooth. Ford did this so that back in the day, when there were many cars of both designs being worked on, only the correct pulley would fit on the pump. Now you can find almost any combination pulley. So you need to verify the bolt pattern diameter w/ a ruler.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks craigS. I went ahead and ordered Mikes kit.