Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First start....finally!

Post Thanks / Like

First start....finally!

Well, I tried to get this thing going on Sunday but couldn't get it to start despite my various attempts. What I thought to be a wiring issue was really a bonehead move by the builder (me) for completely ignoring a small detail. Apparently Coyote's really do need a pulse ring! I saw it, had no idea what it was, and promptly tossed it into a box. The complete removal of the transmission, bellhousing, clutch and fiywheel was the penalty for my ignorance. So, without further adieu, I give you the first start of Mk4-8863.

https://youtu.be/r-_mHK8VJxs

Thanks to all you guys I hit up with a bunch of questions for your patience.

Dave
    San Jose

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Amen, Amen & Amen!

Another One Of God's Great Gifts To The World Was Born Today!

Okay, it's just a really, really, really cool car, but you had the faith and the gumption and you did it!

Congratulations From The Swamp Lands Of Louisiana!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Nice looking Mustang as well!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a pulse ring? Never heard of that and have no idea if I have one installed.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Pls tells us a little about that white Mustang.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CalR80 View Post
    Well, I tried to get this thing going on Sunday but couldn't get it to start despite my various attempts. What I thought to be a wiring issue was really a bonehead move by the builder (me) for completely ignoring a small detail. Apparently Coyote's really do need a pulse ring! I saw it, had no idea what it was, and promptly tossed it into a box. The complete removal of the transmission, bellhousing, clutch and fiywheel was the penalty for my ignorance. Dave
    San Jose
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is a pulse ring? Never heard of that and have no idea if I have one installed.
    I assume we're talking about this piece, seen in the center of this pic while I was installing my flywheel and Quicktime bell housing. It's a toothed wheel that triggers the sensor at roughly 2:00 in this picture. Senses the rotation and position of the crankshaft. In a modern distributorless engine, one of the things that replaces the rotor in the distributor. Nope, engine won't run without it. Congratulations on the first start!

Last edited by edwardb; 01-13-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang all that new-fangled, wiz-bang technology.... glad you found the source!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Congratulations. Pls tells us a little about that white Mustang.
    Thanks,
    The 66 was a project my son and I restored. It is a 4 speed w/289 (and NO pulse ring!)