Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Holes in bottom of frame rails?

Post Thanks / Like

Holes in bottom of frame rails?

I've been looking at build threads lately and a couple days ago, I noticed a feature that I'm sort of curious about. After looking at the galleries on Factory Five, I see the feature in a few places on the frame. At either end of the 4" tubes, there are two vertical bars. At the front, these make up the left and right structural braces for the X-brace and for the suspension pick up points. At the back, At the back, these vertical beams help define the rear deck, the forward position where the suspension mounts and the bulkhead behind the passenger compartment. To these beams, there are two more rectangular beams that run along the long axis of the vehicle, over top the suspension area. Why are the ends of these tubes not capped off? The four along the bottom of the vehicle bother me the most, prime positions for getting dirt and grime inside the frame.

detail-1-694x413.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charlesshoults; 01-13-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are only on the rear. No real need to cap them off.
    Mike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I purchased "Cavity Coat" and used it on the all open ended tubes.

It was cheap insurance and was likely not necessary, but gave me some "Piece of Mind" since I live in a high humidity environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Mike said, the only "opening" is at the back. Those vertical square tubes go through both the top and bottom of the 4-inch round tubes. What you're seeing is the open end of that vertical square tube. The only place on the frame that's like that from what I can tell. There are 20 years of builds out there, some with incredibly high miles (search "Ralph Button" for example), and the integrity of the frame over time isn't a reported concern. There are certainly exceptions, but for most of us these are fair weather drivers. So typically don't get as much exposure as DD's. I'm under my Roadsters regularly cleaning them up (and I know I'm not the only one) and I've seen no deterioration going on. I also agree it's not something you need to be worried about.

BTW, nice pics.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Except for the large 2-inch horizontal bar I used black plastic plugs in the smaller frame openings. I think 3/4-inch...
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ralph Button Traveler Video:

https://youtu.be/bZX5_op_k1I

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb, I suppose I could have asked permission before I referenced your pictures. I'm impressed with how well documented your project is. I like that you even include part numbers for most items. Since I'm also looking at a coyote build, it's a big help.

Post Thanks / Like
    The tube end in the rear of the car is inside the trunk aluminum.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesshoults View Post
    Edwardb, I suppose I could have asked permission before I referenced your pictures. I'm impressed with how well documented your project is. I like that you even include part numbers for most items. Since I'm also looking at a coyote build, it's a big help.
    Thanks. Glad you find the information helpful. No problem at all using the photos. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    The tube end in the rear of the car is inside the trunk aluminum.
    Not the ones the OP is asking about. As pictured, the openings through the bottom of the 4-inch main chassis tubes.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.