Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK4 Power Steering Bracket

Post Thanks / Like

MK4 Power Steering Bracket

Has anyone installed power steering on an MK4 with a 5.0 Coyote engine? What bracket did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    EdwardB did check post #151 of his build thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...iversary-Build

I'm down in the Buckhead area and my kit should arrive in about 3 weeks. I'm also going with the coyote.

I'm doing power steering too, but ordered the FFR coyote power steering set up with my kit
    Last edited by Jdav; 01-10-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Has anyone installed power steering on an MK4 with a 5.0 Coyote engine? What bracket did you use?
    I did. Used the FFR coyote ps kit. Pictures in my build thread.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a direct link to the power steering info I put in my build thread. Save you wading through 150 posts before then.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post222823
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Here is a direct link to the power steering info I put in my build thread. Save you wading through 150 posts before then.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post222823
    Wading through your build thread is helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    The factory five bracket works well. No reason to re-invent the wheel. Check with them I am sure they will sell you one.

that KRC set up Paul (EdwardB) is using is real nice! But yikes its $500
    Last edited by FFinisher; 01-10-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is KRC's latest setup for the Coyote with an integrated tank attached to the pump. Its not listed on their website yet but it is available. I have the KRC setup with a remote tank (same pump as shown) and with their smallest flow valve it is great. The output of the pump has an O-ring'ed AN fitting with different sized orifices to control the flow. The #4 on my cast iron pump is just right.

IMG_2152.JPG

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    Here is KRC's latest setup for the Coyote with an integrated tank attached to the pump. Its not listed on their website yet but it is available. I have the KRC setup with a remote tank (same pump as shown) and with their smallest flow valve it is great. The output of the pump has an O-ring'ed AN fitting with different sized orifices to control the flow. The #4 on my cast iron pump is just right.

IMG_2152.JPG

Kevin
    Nice, I like that with the attached tank, I would paint it black so it didn't look so aftermarket.

How much is that baby?
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Too much It comes with their aluminum pump which makes the whole package much more expensive. About $900!

Mine should be here soon. I will send a report and document its install in my build thread.
    MKIV complete kit #8523, IRS, Coyote Engine, TKO 600, 3.55 rear end, PS, and a whole lot more! Graduated in May 2021.

Post Thanks / Like
    The differential between this and my setup with the cast iron pump, KRC remote reservoir, and additional 8AN feed line/fittings is somewhere between $200-$250...

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Great. I pushed my kit out to early March. Finishing up another project (hardwood floors) and need time to clean up from that and set-up the garage. Lets talk more as we build and share lessons learned as we go. Do you know about the the car show "Caffeine and Octane"? It's a monthly car show.. This Sunday 8:00-11:00 AM on Ashford & Dunwoody RD.
    David
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 01-13-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb, another question about your build. I see you uses a Coyote engine. So am I, with the wiring kit/control pack from Ford racing. Will this wiring harness set-up tie into the kit car's harness or did you have to do (or have done) additional special wiring?
    Thanks,
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Great. I pushed my kit out to early March. Finishing up another project (hardwood floors) and need time to clean up from that and set-up the garage. Lets talk more as we build and share lessons learned as we go. Do you know about the the car show "Caffeine and Octane"? It's a monthly car show.. This Sunday 8:00-11:00 AM on Ashford & Dunwoody RD.
    David
    I haven't made it up to the show yet, but with the weather being so nice I might try to this weekend.

We should definitely stay in touch, but I'm definitely a novice at this. I've found that reading through all of EdwardB and WarEagleScott's build threads have been very helpful in planning my build. EdwardB is on his 3rd build and his build thread is great at documenting the build with the coyote. WarEagleScott is also finishing up a coyote build, but this is his first and his thread is wonderful for someone who doesn't have a lot of wrench turning experience. They are also both very helpful with specific questions (and I took a roadtrip over to see Scott's build in progress before I pulled the trigger on mine).

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb, another question about your build. I see you uses a Coyote engine. So am I, with the wiring kit/control pack from Ford racing. Will this wiring harness set-up tie into the kit car's harness or did you have to do (or have done) additional special wiring?
    Thanks,
    David
    By "kit car's harness" I assume you mean the Ron Francis harness supplied by Factory Five. As opposed to a donor harness or some other brand. My experience is with the Ron Francis harness. There was no additional special wiring. Basically what you end up with is the Ron Francis harness powers the chassis, lighting, dash, accessories, etc., and the Coyote harness takes care of the engine and related systems.

Integration between the two is pretty simple, although there is quite a bit of harness to deal with and it's "interesting" to package it all together. Integration are these points: (1) They share the same power source, so battery power required to each, (2) Coyote system controls and powers the in-tank electric fuel pump, but the Ron Francis harness is used to carry the power from the dash area to the rear of the car, (3) An ignition sense wire is needed from the Ron Francis harness to tell the Coyote system to wake up. Typical to use the Ron Francis "Coil/EFI" wire, (4) A start sense wire is needed from the Ron Franics harness to tell the Coyote system to initiate start. Typical to use the Ron Francis blue start wire. (5) Main alternator wire from the Ron Francis harness needs to go to the Coyote alternator. (6) Engine sensors for the dash need to be wired into the Ron Francis harness and installed on the Coyote. Typically these included the oil pressure and water temp. Could also include an oil temp, but I didn't install that one. (7) Finally, a tach connection is required to the Coyote. Unfortunately Ford didn't include this in the new Coyote controls pack. So it's necessary to break into one of the coil-on-plug harnesses to get the signal. In simple terms, the Coyote setup with power runs itself. It just needs fuel, a wake-up call, and a start signal.

Note the above description assumes using the Coyote controls pack to 100% control the Coyote start function and also 100% control the engine cooling fan. The Factory Five instructions show a different approach for the start function using a firewall solenoid (not necessary IMO) and the option of using the Ron Francis harness for the cooling fan. Also not necessary IMO. The Coyote harness has both completely covered.

Almost all of this is covered in detail plus pictures in my build thread. There's also a link to a spreadsheet with wiring details.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-13-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the harness supplies by FF, and Coyote controls pack. My kit is due to be complete the end of Feb. Pushed it out so I had time to finish other things. Play to order the engine, etc soon. I've been reading some of your threads, but haven't had time to read all.. LOTS of great info. Thanks for sharing.
    David