Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: using chevy sb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile using chevy sb

received rear end from moser, great crate packaging. just got call from stewart trucking, will get 33 next thur. or fri. wow!, i'm ready to start. any one have advice on using chevy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo is putting a sbc in a roadster. It's not a 33 but it's something!! Good luck and have fun!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using SBC power. There is plenty of room for the Chevy motor and you just can't beat the old school look and inexpensive power. The bottleneck is the exhaust and that's the same for any engine you choose. IMO, this is a big miss on the part of the FFR design. If you choose to use a big inch heavy breathing engine you will be choking it down on the exhaust side if you route your exhaust the way FFR intended.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Take a look at these manifolds from Speedway Motors.
    They are the exact port size for a Dart Iron Eagle 215-CC head.
    They come in Cast Iron, Cast Stainless & Cast Polished Stainless:

https://youtu.be/jKfkUO2Uu7E

Sanderson Headers also makes some nice manifolds and all sorts of headers.
    Shorty headers for a C-2, C-3 and C-4 Corvette (1963-1991) may work too.
    1992-1996 is the newer the SB-2 platform (LT-1/LT-4) and may not work.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-13-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    33wanabe, call Courtnie at FFR and have her send you the SBC info package. They have already done much of the experimenting with what works -- the info they provide gives part numbers for items you'll need specific to SBC installation in their 33Hot Rod. That will include headers that mate to their exhaust system. If you are not interested in big power, the headers & exhaust they have spec'd should work for you. The info they provide will answer many of the questions you will have regarding installing SBC power.

Post Thanks / Like

using chevy sb

Quote Originally Posted by 33wanabe View Post
    received rear end from moser, great crate packaging. just got call from stewart trucking, will get 33 next thur. or fri. wow!, i'm ready to start. any one have advice on using chevy?
    I'm using a SBC too and have already learned from this thread. I'll be following it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Gents,

I looked long and hard at the 33 Hot Rod so I can't wait to see your Chevy Powered builds.
    Good Luck!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I work for Blueprint Engines. Check out our SBC engine packages for Factory Five kits. The components were picked out by the techs at Factory Five. So you know they'll fit. Here's a link to our fuel injected 383, but we also have a carbed version as well as a 400 carbed and fuel injected.
    http://factoryfiveengines.com/bluepr...-fuel-injected
    There are several options to choose from, including transmissions and front drive accessories.

These 33's are so cool. I would have a tough time deciding what to put in it. I think I'd be looking at an LS or a flathead ford.

What ever you choose...Congrats and have fun!
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 01-20-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    I am mid way through my build with a Chevy Performance SP350 crate engine from Summit and I don't think you will have any issues fitting any 350 in the front of the hot rod. The only place you would need to be careful is on your front end accessories to check clearance for any low left and right mount accessories. I used the March Performance high mount system for my alternator and AC compressor and it looks great and fits well. Talk with Courtnie at FFR (she is amazingly helpful) and she will give you the specific model of headers that mate up to their exhaust adapters, everything else is up to you.

A couple notes on fitment:
    - you will have to rotate the powersteering unit downward to clear the oil pan if you use one
    - If you are running a manual transmission with a gm TKO, the FFR manual transmission kit is set up for a ford throwout bearing arm (a cable that "pulls") where GM transmissions and throwout bearings require a "push" from either linkage or a longer cable that loops around. My recommendation is go with a hydraulic clutch (Courtnie will send you the info you need on that and the bellhousing in the SBC info they have) and don't order their clutch quadrant and cable. Let me know if you need more detail on this one.

My build page is here: www.achromeandcottonhome.com

Everything else went pretty smooth since there is plenty of room to play with.

Drew

11. Likes Higgi56 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    I am mid way through my build with a Chevy Performance SP350 crate engine from Summit and I don't think you will have any issues fitting any 350 in the front of the hot rod. The only place you would need to be careful is on your front end accessories to check clearance for any low left and right mount accessories. I used the March Performance high mount system for my alternator and AC compressor and it looks great and fits well. Talk with Courtnie at FFR (she is amazingly helpful) and she will give you the specific model of headers that mate up to their exhaust adapters, everything else is up to you.

A couple notes on fitment:
    - you will have to rotate the powersteering unit downward to clear the oil pan if you use one
    - If you are running a manual transmission with a gm TKO, the FFR manual transmission kit is set up for a ford throwout bearing arm (a cable that "pulls") where GM transmissions and throwout bearings require a "push" from either linkage or a longer cable that loops around. My recommendation is go with a hydraulic clutch (Courtnie will send you the info you need on that and the bellhousing in the SBC info they have) and don't order their clutch quadrant and cable. Let me know if you need more detail on this one.

My build page is here: www.achromeandcottonhome.com

Everything else went pretty smooth since there is plenty of room to play with.

Drew
    I looked at your page and this will be one Fantastic 33 Hot Rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Darth, is that a long or short water pump? I like the March unit you installed -- part number??? I also went with a juice clutch but not the one FFR recommends. I went with a kit from American Powertrain #HMGM01101SR and the Wilwood master cylinder bolts up directly to the Wilwood pedal assembly making this an easy install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Short water pump, Used the Inward Mount Ultra since the fast burn heads I have on my SP350 are the same mounting points as vortec heads. If youre interested in a March kit, give them a call, they are super helpful and know exactly how their kits fit (but then buy through Summit since they are cheaper).

Also, I bought the hood with extra clearance, not sure if I will actually need it, but having the Alt and Compressor tucked up there made me worried it wouldn't fit.

I actually didn't use the recommended hydraulic throw out bearing either, I got one from Macleod Racing paired with a Wilwood master (.75) and it seems to be working so far, I go karted today! Still need to firm up the brakes, but everything else ran great.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by DarthTedious; 01-22-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: additional info

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Darth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Darth
    If you are in Houston Heights I would really like to see your build. Looking at buying a 33 stage 1.

thanks
    Kevin
    713-447-9056

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    I am mid way through my build with a Chevy Performance SP350 crate engine from Summit
    Nice blog Drew - following!

I just placed my stage 1 order today, AND using sbc, so I'll be reading everything you wrote very carefully

Post Thanks / Like
    383 using March system with AC. Had to shim the engine back an inch but I like it much better the the high mount system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the new build! I've upgraded your account for full access. If you need any help posting pics or whatnot, let me know!
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tures-in-posts

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    This entire thread takes me by surprise. I emailed FFR less than 1 year ago and asked them if the 33 could take an old school motor like a sbc instead of the computwr controlled nightmares of today and they told me no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
    This entire thread takes me by surprise. I emailed FFR less than 1 year ago and asked them if the 33 could take an old school motor like a sbc instead of the computwr controlled nightmares of today and they told me no.
    How strange. That doesn't make sense! I've been talking to them about the 33 for a few years and SBC has always been an option.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess my email was answered by an employee that is uninformed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess my email was answered by an employee that is uninformed.
    Mick
    If you still have that E-mail post up the specific sentence they used. They may have said something like " it isn't supported by FF", meaning
    it's not a bolt in deal that they have sorted out the details on like motor mounts, driveshaft, exhaust, oil pans, trans mount and so on.

Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Mick
    If you still have that E-mail post up the specific sentence they used. They may have said something like " it isn't supported by FF", meaning
    it's not a bolt in deal that they have sorted out the details on like motor mounts, driveshaft, exhaust, oil pans, trans mount and so on.

Dale
    Definitely a confusing statement? I haven't paid attention and I'm sure someone will chastise me for this, but, If I were going chevy I would look at the Aluminum LS to keep weight down. May not be as easy or inexpensive as the classic SBC, but at this point it is well supported by the aftermarket.

Open to hearing opinions on that. FWIW FFR told me there isn't a package for a 55 Desoto Hemi either. Unbelievable

Post Thanks / Like
    The LS platform is a great choice. Lightweight in the aluminum block version, robust design, the architecture has the potential to make lots of power, and there is plenty of support in the aftermarket. I can't see there would be any major issues fitting one in the 33 HR. Doesn't cost a whole lot more to hot rod than the 1st Generation SBC but it just doesn't have that same old school look that the 1st Gen SBC has. You could always go with a carb and hide the coils from view and it would look a bit more old school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually the LS is my least favourite engine. I have a 2001 Corvette and the LS is way too wired for my taste. GM has already stopped producing the brains for these up to 2000. As time goes by they will stop supplying later years. The coding in the computers is proprietary and usually cant be fixed. The vette community will be buying up the brains from wrecks and eventually the LS will turn into a door stop. I dont want a computer deciding if my engine will run or not so SBC or SBF is my choice. Yeah the weight savings is huge and the hi performance parts are abundant but I dont want crank position sensors, knock sensors, electronic trannys etc. Thats a recipe for disaster in my book. I guess I am old school to the core.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually the LS is my least favourite engine. I have a 2001 Corvette and the LS is way too wired for my taste. GM has already stopped producing the brains for these up to 2000. As time goes by they will stop supplying later years. The coding in the computers is proprietary and usually cant be fixed. The vette community will be buying up the brains from wrecks and eventually the LS will turn into a door stop. I dont want a computer deciding if my engine will run or not so SBC or SBF is my choice. Yeah the weight savings is huge and the hi performance parts are abundant but I dont want crank position sensors, knock sensors, electronic trannys etc. Thats a recipe for disaster in my book. I guess I am old school to the core.
    Hallelujah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And here is where you can find those Corvette parts if you need them:

Dino's Corvette Salvage
    Address: 3545 MS-43, Picayune, MS 39466
    Phone: (601) 749-8686
    Hours: Open today · 8AM–5:30PM

Dino's is the largest Corvette only salvage yard in the country.
    As a favor to our forum family members, feel free to reach out to me if any of you need me to make a milk run to inspect any parts from this place.

Also, a lot of folks have used Dino's for their GTM builds.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-12-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe its just me but it bothers me to have a car that only survives through a salvage yard. No sir, I wont do that with a Factory Five build. But it sure is nice of you to do that for forum members.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Maybe its just me but it bothers me to have a car that only survives through a salvage yard. No sir, I wont do that with a Factory Five build. But it sure is nice of you to do that for forum members.
    The GTM uses many parts from the C-5 Corvette.
    Buying these parts (New Old Stock) at your local dealer can get expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mick, when you look at the FFR website on the "order a kit" page the options include mounts and driveshaft options for a SBC and choice of trans. Search forum, there are multiple finished cars with a SBC and some being built now. I will be adding my name to the list soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Post photos when you are done!

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been getting phone calls for months from guys saying "Hey, I saw on the forum to call you regarding a small block chevy install in your 33." I'm glad I finally found this post to make everyone's lives a little easier. Follow the link below, this is our PDF file on installing a SBC into our Hot Rod

http://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conten...ment-rev-D.pdf
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support