Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie Signing On

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Signing On

Greetings,

New member signing on. I've watched the videos, got the information packet, selected my options, got a quote for shipping, picked out a drive train, settled on a color, and am otherwise ready to pull the trigger on a MK4 complete kit...just have to sell a rental property first to pay for everything. Even the wife is on board and excited about the project.

In the meantime, I'm preparing the garage, organizing my tools, and gathering information, which is why I joined this forum.

Looking forward to exploring everyone's challenges, ideas, and solutions.

I live in the northern Virginia area, and am an airline pilot by trade; any other MK4 builders nearby? Would love to hear from you.

Thanks and regards,

RJD

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, I am very close to ordering a complete kit also. I just sold my 72 Corvette to make room in my 1 car garage.There are several cars and builds in the northern Virginia area. I'm a 24 year Eastern Airlines vet. Haven't been around an airport since '94. I still miss it. This and the other forum are full of knowledgeable folks.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the family

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome RJD!

I've got a pal who is in McLean who just got his MK-4 back from the paint shop.
    How close to that little town do you live?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Welcome RJD!

I've got a pal who is in McLean who just got his MK-4 back from the paint shop.
    How close to that little town do you live?

Steve
    Hi Steve,
    Your pal is less than 30 minutes down the road from my house.
    Last edited by RJD; 01-14-2017 at 01:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bil1024

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Welcome, I am very close to ordering a complete kit also. I just sold my 72 Corvette to make room in my 1 car garage.There are several cars and builds in the northern Virginia area. I'm a 24 year Eastern Airlines vet. Haven't been around an airport since '94. I still miss it. This and the other forum are full of knowledgeable folks.
    JR
    Great. We'll compare notes when we get our cars and do some hanger flying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. It's a great project. What are some of the specifics of your build plan for the drivetrain, options and color?
    I'm also an airline guy. Couple of us here on the forum. Who are you with?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Welcome aboard. It's a great project. What are some of the specifics of your build plan for the drivetrain, options and color?
    I'm also an airline guy. Couple of us here on the forum. Who are you with?
    Great!

Here's my initial pass at options, but a as I keep reading the forum, gather feedback (which I would appreciate), and check out the excellent builds of others, things could change:

Complete kit w/body cut outs traced, roadster seats, titanium grey metallic paint, powder coated chassis, engine - 306 c.i. w/fuel injection, TKO 600 transmission, 8.8 Ford rear axle, no power steering (feedback welcome here), wind wings, and 17 inch Halibrand wheels.

On the fence: powder coated vs. chrome roll bar, plus one for the wife; polished stainless steel vs. bare steel side pipes; vintage vs. modern gauges.

I'm with UAL on the A-320.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    Great!

Here's my initial pass at options, but a as I keep reading the forum, gather feedback (which I would appreciate), and check out the excellent builds of others, things could change:

Complete kit w/body cut outs traced, roadster seats, titanium grey metallic paint, powder coated chassis, engine - 306 c.i. w/fuel injection, TKO 600 transmission, 8.8 Ford rear axle, no power steering (feedback welcome here), wind wings, and 17 inch Halibrand wheels.

On the fence: powder coated vs. chrome roll bar, plus one for the wife; polished stainless steel vs. bare steel side pipes; vintage vs. modern gauges.

I'm with UAL on the A-320.

Thanks.
    The increased caster available with power steering makes for a nice upgrade in drivability. Research that a bit would be my suggestion. Plenty of great cars built without power steering though.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum and Cobra crazies, RJD!

I'm retired from Delta, B767-400. Last flight was a 3 day Munich trip, November 2014. I'm borrowing a saying from a good friend ... "Retirement does NOT suck"!

I'm driving a Challenge Car (street legal) and have a Gen 3 Coupe on order. Glad to hear your wife is onboard with the project. If Mama's not happy, nobody is happy!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post
    Welcome to the forum and Cobra crazies, RJD!

I'm retired from Delta, B767-400. Last flight was a 3 day Munich trip, November 2014. I'm borrowing a saying from a good friend ... "Retirement does NOT suck"!

I'm driving a Challenge Car (street legal) and have a Gen 3 Coupe on order. Glad to hear your wife is onboard with the project. If Mama's not happy, nobody is happy!

Garry
    Thanks Garry. My father in-law constantly tells me how much he loves retirement. He's a retired G.M. exec and drives a Corvette but he's drooling over my MK4 build plans. I've no doubt he'll be in on the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    RJD,

I am probably not far from you. Come by and check out the build. I will send you a PM with my info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    RJD,

I am probably not far from you. Come by and check out the build. I will send you a PM with my info.
    That would be awesome. Thank you! What a great community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    The increased caster available with power steering makes for a nice upgrade in drivability. Research that a bit would be my suggestion. Plenty of great cars built without power steering though.
    Thanks. Will check it out.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Pm Sent

Post Thanks / Like
    Pm Sent
    Got it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just pulled the trigger - nothing like waiting until the last minute to take advantage of the winter sale - sale ends today.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A Big Congratulations From The South!

I also sent you a P.M. that may be of use to you.

Take Care!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    A Big Congratulations From The South!

I also sent you a P.M. that may be of use to you.

Take Care!
    Got the PM. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming. Regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the garage bay is ready, the chassis dolly is built, and the rear end was delivered. The rest of the kit should be delivered next week. Can't wait to get the ball rolling.
    Bay.JPG3Link.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you're ready for delivery. Good luck and keep us posted. I've been building my MK4 since delivery in late Mar. If you are on the other forum I have my build there.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Amelia just west of Richmond. My son (builder, painter, tuner) and I (go-fer, grunt, banker) just finished the build of 8469. I sent a pm with a link to his documentation that I edited for the VA registration process. It would be great to get all the local cars together in NOVA for a meet. I'm sure there would be quite a few stories on the build and enjoying the drive. While I knew I would get attention, I was unprepared for the amount of interest it draws at gas stations and just driving around. I went through Gatlinburg recently and it was like I was in a parade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you're ready for delivery. Good luck and keep us posted. I've been building my MK4 since delivery in late Mar. If you are on the other forum I have my build there.
    JR
    Yes, thanks for your build forum. I've been watching yours and others and taking copious notes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ej95Cobra View Post
    I sent a pm with a link to his documentation that I edited for the VA registration process. It would be great to get all the local cars together in NOVA for a meet. I'm sure there would be quite a few stories on the build and enjoying the drive.
    Thanks for the registration info!!!! I made an initial inquiry into the VA registration process when I was deciding whether or not to pull the trigger on the kit, but I certainly didn't get all my questions answered. It'll be a huge help. And count me in for a NOVA rally when the time comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!
    Thanks Scott.

Post Thanks / Like
    RJD there is a guy on this forum his signature is old a4guy it has been a while since he has been active but he is in Great Falls and he had what I thought was a very good thread on his registration process.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Start, Welcome to the madness!

Post Thanks / Like
    RJD there is a guy on this forum his signature is old a4guy it has been a while since he has been active but he is in Great Falls and he had what I thought was a very good thread on his registration process.
    JR
    Cool. I will check it out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrod View Post
    Great Start, Welcome to the madness!
    Thanks. I'll fit right in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, she's finally here and I'm loving it. Stewart Transportation did a great job of delivering my kit yesterday. Don the driver skillfully maneuvered his big semi into the townhouse subdivision and we had everything in the garage in less than an hour. The body dolly worked great, thanks to everyone who posted their designs for reference. I couldn't stop smiling through the whole process. I'm still smiling, even after inventorying box after box yesterday, with more to do today, tomorrow, and probably the next day. The wife was in awe when she saw it for the first time in the garage.

As a bonus, last week, I also got to see the real deal when I stopped by the California Automobile Museum while traveling through Sacramento.
    Arrival.JPGUnloading.JPGGarage2.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome man! That silver color.. thats the one.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations