BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Future of DIY Painting...

Post Thanks / Like

The Future of DIY Painting...

... looks bleak, or is it?

I just got off the phone with Pop, who was at the shop that resprayed a trunk lid for him this week and the painters there told him that if I wanted to paint another car in the near future, I'd better get the materials this year before they're gone. I've painted five cars (including my Mk II) and it seems like whenever I get to that point every five years or so, the materials have changed completely and living in the SF Bay Area, they're only available greater and greater distances away (for the Mk II I had to drive 100 miles south to Salinas). Now it looks like they won't be available at all.

Is this really the case? Does anyone know what's happening in the automotive paint industry over the next few years?

As it stands right now, my current project car, a '75 Lotus Elite, will probably get its colors by vinyl wrap!
    Last edited by bwwooster; 01-13-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All I know is that California is it's own universe and what happens there has very little bearing to what is happening in the real world.

It is my understanding that CA is working toward allowing only water based automotive paint.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    I work for a large retail/commercial auto parts company and am involved in inventory and distribution for automotive paint. With exception of a few counties in northern CA all LEGAL "commercial" paint is waterbourne to meet the VOC regulations. This is mostly color. Most undercoats (primer/sealer) and topcoats (clears) are still solvent but most have been reformulated with reduced VOC to be compliant.
    There are a few other areas in the US now with low VOC laws and more coming.

DIY painters will experience quality issues due to the water product being more sensitive to air flow, humidity and temp that you don't have without the proper paint booth controls and enviroment. Not as forgiving as solvent product
    Last edited by partsman; 01-14-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've painted custom stuff with House of Kolor (solvent based) and bodyshop stuff BASF Glasurit and RM(water), as well as Sikkens (water).

Yes, they are slightly different, but I use the same guns for both (Sata 4000 hvlp for color, Sata 4000 RP for clear.)

The solvent based offers better control of flash times over a wider array of temperatures, but I find the water based actually is easier to spray metallics evenly and with no clouding. They just lay better.

Biggest difference...you need airflow for water, whereas you need heat for solvent. Other than that, not a problem to shoot either.

Oh....the water based is way easier on the lungs. But don't mess with the clear. Full hood. Always.