Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Currie 9" Rearend with Wilwood Discs

Post Thanks / Like

Currie 9" Rearend with Wilwood Discs

I stumbled across this setup and was hoping someone could tell me if this would work in a new MK4 4-link setup?

NEW CURRIE 79-93 5-LUG FOX BODY REAR END WITH WILWOOD DISC BRAKES, 11" ROTORS, RED CALIPERS, BRAKE LINES, PARKING BRAKE CABLES, AXLES, & BEARINGS, 1979-1993 FORD MUSTANG, THUNDERBIRD, FAIRMONT, MERCURY COUGAR, CAPRI, ZEPHYR

Specs:

• Brand New Currie Enterprises Rear End with 31 Spline Axles with Wilwood Disc Brake Kit including Red Calipers, Parking Brake Cable Kit, and Brake Line Kit for the applications below (Part # FDM79935-K5). | * Currie Crate Rear Ends are designed to be a bolt-in upgrade.
    • Fits: | * 1979 - 1993 Ford Mustang | * 5-Lug applications only | * 1979 - 1993 Ford Thunderbird | * 5-Lug applications only; Make sure to verify that your stock rear end matches the 59 1/2" width | * 1979 - 1983 Ford Fairmont | * 5-Lug applications only; Make sure to verify that your stock rear end matches the 59 1/2" width | * 1979 - 1986 Mercury Capri | * 5-Lug applications only | * 1979 - 1993 Mercury Cougar | * 5-Lug applications only | * 1979 - 1983 Mercury Zephyr | * 5-Lug applications only; Make sure to verify that your stock rear end matches the 59 1/2" width | * We do have rear end kits available for 4-Lug applications as well
    • Includes: | * Currie F9 Fabricated Rear End with 31 Spline Axles (Currie # CE-FDM7993X5) | * F9 Fabricated heavy duty housing | * 31 Spline performance axle package | * Built to the stock overall width (59 1/2") and pinion offset specs | * 59 1/2" is measured outside-of-axle-flange to outside-of-axle-flange, in other words, where the wheel bolts on to where the wheel bolts on | * Stock suspension brackets are installed in the stock location for an easy bolt-in installation, and urethane upper control arm bushings are installed in the upper control arm housing brackets | * Housing includes all 3rd member studs installed | * These are 9" Ford center sections, so they do require a 9" Ford 3rd Member (sometimes referred to as a Chunk); if you don't currently have one, we do offer them in several ratios | * Axles include: | * Stock 5 x 4 1/2" wheel bolt pattern | * Wheel studs installed | * 1/4" Thick heavy-duty bearing retainer plates | * Tapered Timken style wheel bearings pressed on | * The Axle flanges on this rear end are the Big Bearing Ford (New Style), also known as "Torino", which fit the Wilwood brakes perfectly
    • Wilwood 11" Disc Brake Kit with Standard Rotors and Red Calipers (Wilwood Part # 140-11389-R): | * Wilwood brake kits consist of specifically engineered & matched groups of components designed to provide superior brake system performance & custom appeal over a wide range of applications. | * Dynapro Low-Profile Pro-Series rear disc brake kits provide a complete solution for popular muscle car rear axle. Forged billet Dynapro Low-Profile four-piston calipers, 11" one-piece hat and rotor assemblies, and high friction pads provide optimized and balanced braking for all types of custom performance street/strip and show machines. The neatly hidden internal shoe system provides a clean installation with superior static holding power for parking | * These Low-Profile Brake kits require at least 15" diameter wheels
    • Brake Kit includes: | * .810" Thick x 11.00" O.D. Rotors with Hats | * Featuring 5 x 4 1/2", 5 x 4 3/4", and 5 x 5" bolt patterns | * Low-Profile 4 Piston Dynapro Calipers - Red | * Drum Parking Brake Assemblies with Caliper Mounting Brackets | * Bearing Retainers | * BP-10 Smart Compound Brake Pads | * All Bolts, Washers, and Shims necessary to install the complete braking system on both rear wheels | * You can view and download the complete assembly instruction booklet for this brake kit here | * This listing includes the Wilwood kit with Red Calipers and | * 11" Standard Rotors. | * Parking Brake Cable Kit: | * Connects to the Wilwood Parking Brake Assemblies, then comes together to join the stock cable behind the transmission | * Flexline Kit: | * Steel braided brake lines, caliper fittings, and chassis fittings to connect the calipers to the hard lines | * Also includes weld-on line tabs to install on your rear end | * Hard Line Kit: | * Steel hard brake line tubing to connect the chassis fittings to the included rubber hose | * Rubber hose connects those hard lines to the line on the frame | * Note: Tubing bending is generally necessary for the installation of these lines
    Last edited by Papa; 01-16-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it would fit but it's awfully expensive. I can set up an 8.8 with 4 piston wilwood brakes for substantially less that that.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Yes it would fit but it's awfully expensive. I can set up an 8.8 with 4 piston wilwood brakes for substantially less that that.
    I'd be interested in a quote if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me with one over the next week or two? I'm still finalizing my build and the rear end options have me totally perplexed right now. I don't plan to race the car at all and will use it for pleasure cruising on the street and maybe a trip into the Rocky's once a summer. I'm thinking 3:55 gears.

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot me an email to [email protected] and I can email one to you.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Having finally given up on dealing w/ axle end play and resulting pad kick back on my 8.8, I see a big advantage in those full floater axles/bearings in the Currie unit.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the Currie unit on my first roadster. The unit is bullet proof. You'll never have to worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    ...I don't plan to race the car at all and will use it for pleasure cruising on the street and maybe a trip into the Rocky's once a summer...
    For your intended use that Currie unit is overkill and overpriced. Talk to Gordon.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That package is overpriced. You can do better than that on price for the equivalent or better hardware. Also it doesn't come with a center section. A nice aluminum center section with a torsen or Eaton tru track will add $1500+ to that ticket. If you are dead set on a Ford 9 inch send me a PM. I just put a 9 inch in my truck project with Strange housing, center section, and axles. However a nice 8.8 rear with a Ford rear disc brake package can be had for much less and in a car as light as the roadster you won't break it unless you are running drag slicks. The 9 inch is overkill for anything but an all out FFR.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't think the price looked too out there, considering it included shipping. The same company sells the third member for $900-$1,400 depending on configuration, so yes, it's pricier than an 8.8, but price the 8.8 from FFR and by the time you add the rear end, freight, and the brakes, you're looking at just shy of $3,200. But, I am pretty much in the dark and that's why I posted here! Thanks for the replies and I'll keep researching -- also requesting a quote from Gordon Levy. I'm sure that will help me put some of this into perspective.

Thanks,
    Dave