Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pics of 818 with removable hardtop on/off

Post Thanks / Like

Pics of 818 with removable hardtop on/off

Deciding on type of 818 to build. I want the 818S with removable hardtop so I'm looking for pictures of a completed vehicle to see how it looks with & w/o the top, as well as, the process for removing & replacing the hardtop. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thx Mav

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it works that way. It was a lot of trouble to fit the top and the entire rear section of the body is different between the S and C models. I am sure that one of the more experienced members can give you a more definitive answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not removable to the point of "oh, I think I'll just pop this off before a drive today". The windshield is integrated into the hardtop. To remove it you need to unbolt the windshield frame and the top, install either an R or S windshield, and the engine cover (not included in the hardtop coupe kit). Once converted it will look the same as an S. It's probably a couple hour task.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    818S with removable hardtop in place is the same as the 818C. The coupe top is removable, but will take a few hours to accomplish as it includes swapping windshields. So, the photos are on FFR's website. There is a softtop that fits the 818S model. There is no hardtop unique to the 818S, only the coupe hartop that fits the 818S when its windshield and rear engine cover/trunk cover are removed.

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    818SandC 75.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AZPete; 01-16-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, Pete how long does take to make the switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch, let's see . . . it was an 818S, then I got the hard top and new front in August to convert to an 818C, now it's January . . . 4 months?

I haven't converted it back and forth from a C to S to C, but I think I could do it in 2 to 3 hours. I doubt I'll ever convert it to an S because I really like the snug hard top, but I could. The S windshield and the two engine covers are hanging in my garage in case I want to go topless, or for the next owner.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a video of a wind tunnel test that FFR conducted with the 818 c,s and r. It's obvious in the video that the the s and c are the same car( since the panels don't match in color). They start with the coupe and while testing the r they swapped the coupes hard top to s configuration.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...dtunnel-Tested

I've seen still pictures of the session but can't seem to find them.

There are pictures in the gallery section of the FFR website of the 818 s and c , pretty sure it's the same black car.
    http://www.factoryfive.com/galleries...18-sports-car/

http://www.factoryfive.com/galleries...ack-818-coupe/
    Last edited by flynntuna; 01-16-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx guys. I just could not understand how the top was removable. The whole idea makes a lot more sense to me now. I appreciate the explanations, pics and videos.

Unerstanding what it takes to "pop off" the hardtop makes it clear to me that the 818C will be a better choice for me. Thx again Mav