Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power brakes and power steering

Post Thanks / Like

Power brakes and power steering

Looking to add power brakes at least to my setup. Since I'm the second owner, what is the easiest package to buy to purchase for a power brake system and power steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots more information required to give any kind of answer. For starters, what version Roadster, what engine, what pedal box, what brakes.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the event it will play with your engine and set up, hydra boost might be a good option. One pump for the brakes and steering. It is a somewhat smaller booster on the brakes also. I would also throw the later model electric power steering in as an option. What brakes are you running now?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark 3.2, 302, manual 13.5" in the front and 11.5" in the rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks and can't wait to hear the suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    No such thing as a Mk 3.2 Roadster. If a Mk3 it's either a 3.0 or 3.1. And you didn't mention the pedal box type. But if it is a Mk3 chances are it's a Mustang pedal box with the master cylinder on the front of the footbox. I going to assume this is a completed car so will answer accordingly.

Hydroboost power brakes can be added by replacing the master cylinder with a hydroboost unit and new master cylinder. That can be done in conjunction with the power steering, using the pump to power both. Vacuum power brakes can also be added by replacing the master cylinder with a vacuum booster and new master cylinder. This does require a frame mod though, and not particularly easy with the body on. Both approaches are doable but some work on a completed car. An alternative you may want to consider is leaving it manual and going to more aggressive brake pads. It's possible to get some significant improvement with this alone.

Note if you don't see the master cylinder on the front of the driver's footbox, then likely it has a Wilwood pedal box with the master cylinders inside the footbox. Power brakes can be added to those, but it's a little more major surgery now that the car is completed.

For power steering, the usual approach would be to replace your manual steering rack with a Mustang 87-93 powered rack. Relatively easy to swap out. Then add an engine driven power steering pump. Putting a pump on your 5.0 is pretty straightforward.

These are pretty general responses, but hard to provide any more with the info provided.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-18-2017 at 12:13 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'm the second owner and the owner said that the 3.2 vs 3.1 argument goes back and forth here, so that is what I was told. So assuming it is a 3.1. Ok, if I went with the hydroboost setup, any idea of cost and is there a kit out there or just purchase the parts separately?

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpawarrior View Post
    Thanks. I'm the second owner and the owner said that the 3.2 vs 3.1 argument goes back and forth here, so that is what I was told. So assuming it is a 3.1. Ok, if I went with the hydroboost setup, any idea of cost and is there a kit out there or just purchase the parts separately?
    Umm, actually it doesn't. There really is no such thing as a 3.2 and I've never seen that discussed. Misunderstanding or poor communication. Who knows. My Mk3 was a 3.0 (#5125) with most of the 3.1 changes applied. The difference between those two is discussed occasionally. But it's been a few years since they were produced, so not too much any more. If you know your chassis number, we could help you determine which one yours is.

Mike Forte at http://fortesparts.ivypress.net/ could put together a hydroboost setup for you. Again though will depend on what pedal box you have, which I've mentioned a couple of times and you haven't told us. Makes a huge difference. http://www.hydratechbraking.com/ is another great source for hydroboost setups and parts. Neither source will be cheap. Works very well, but it's not an inexpensive setup.

If you're interested in looking at vacuum assisted power brakes, this is a complete kit that works very well. I've used it. http://www.whitbymotorsports.com/UIn...ventoryid=1608. But as I said before, does require a small frame mod (pictured in the link) which would be a little challenging to install with the body on. Possible I think, but challenging.

Mike could also probably help with power steering. I would also recommend http://www.breezeautomotive.com/ for power steering. He could definitely set you up.

In most cases, you're not going to find a pre-configured kit. Since these are all custom builds with so many variations, you will need to determine the exact parts required for your car. The sources I've mentioned should be able to help. Searching both forums can also show how others have set theirs up. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-18-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add to what edwardb mentioned...assuming a Mustang pedal box was used and IF the car was built properly the brake pedal was modified and will need to changed back to original for either vacuum assist or hydroboost. Now here is an important point; if the pedal was not modified it will result in the need for extremely high pedal effort which may be why you're asking about power assist in the first place. You'll need to know the answer to this either way.

The most cost effective route to power steering is with OEM components plus brackets and hose fittings from the aftermarket &/or forum vendors. Not a "kit" but I've detailed the entire shopping list on this and the other forum several times---plan on 3-400 bucks. The steering shaft comes into play so you will need to determine what vintage car you actually have because the Mk3 and Mk3.1 are different (and has already been pointed out there is no such thing as a 3.2).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, car is at the shop so I don't have access to it but it was Don Wrights Tangent Roadster that I purchased. He is a member on here. I will respond shortly. Appreciate the feedback thus far

Post Thanks / Like
    This probably doesn't help much this was the listing for the car for sale

Tangent Custom Roadster
    Hey, Guys. Up for your consideration is the Tangent Cobra Roadster. This is a MK3.1 version (but I remember seeing the plate in the car reading 3.2-no matter) and was completed around 2006 after a three year build. A donor build that only used the engine and trans from a 93 Mustang, the original engine had about 80,000 miles on the 5.0 HO roller motor and T5 trans.

Modifications set this roadster apart from most, mainly bodywork and interior differences. As you can see from the pictures the body mods are extensive, but not enough to keep it from being distinguished from the classic. All body mods were done by me and Walt, both professionals with years of experience is this type of custom work.

A few of the body mods to point out are; frenched headlights, taillights, parking lights, tag. Hood scoop is completely different and hood is finished inside and out. Rolled cockpit edges, modified door edges and all edges of body are worked and smoothed. Underside of body is armor-coated with bed liner material.

This is truly a unique roadster; it’ll always stand out in a crowd. Plus, it’s a hoot to drive! The 3:73 independent rear end will make her squat, light up both tires and take off like a bat. Sure, there are larger engines out there, but believe me when I say that a 5.0 is plenty for these cars – if you get to where you can habitually wring all there is out of this combination my hats off to you! But, flip the switch and you can have up to an additional 100 HP from the built in nitrous system.

Here’s a list of bullet points, some pictures and links to hundreds more during the build and after. Building is fun, but save yourself many many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours - take advantage of a car that is ready to go sailing this spring and summer!

Engine – 5.0 HO roller, Edelbrock dual plane manifold, Edelbrock 600 cfm (1405) T5 Transmission, 1-7/8” ceramic coated 4 into 1 headers and sidepipes. Energy suspension engine mounts. Stock tank, fuel pump, Mallory pressure regulator, braided stainless steel Teflon lines throughout. Aerospace Engineering electric water pump, three core new aluminum radiator, custom shroud and fan. Edelbrock square bore nitrous plate system, tank in trunk (never filled) all plumbed and ready to go at a touch of a switch. System will engage on WOT.

Drive Train – FFR independent rear end option on ordering, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, modified Bilstien shocks, custom rear bump stops and Tangent front bump stops. Drive shaft safety loop. All bearings and clutch pack new in rear end, new bearings in spindles. All rod ends maintained. King Cobra clutch.

Brakes – 13” Cobra front discs, 10” Cobra rear discs, all new from forum vendors. All stainless lines Breeze, modified to fit a –behind the seat- lever operated bias control. Custom parking brake location.

Tire/Wheels – 9x17 front and 10.5x17 rear. Chassis modified to fit the larger size rims (slightly before FFR made their change) Custom Bullet lug nuts and socket. Wheels are Mustang Bullets Anthracite Grey. Perfect condition. Tires are BF Goodrich 315/35 rear 345/45 front ZR17 with less than 4000 miles.

Has Cobra Earls fresh air blower system. Dark Water front spoiler and door edge trims.

Interior – outside of cockpit sprayed with lizard skin sound and heat insulation, interior of cockpit lined with Fatmat material. Custom grey carpet and faux reptilian material on dash and on Herbs custom door panels. Autometer ultra-light gauges, typical compliment plus; clock, air-fuel, dual brake bias pressures showing front and back brake line pressures. Custom aluminum dash and interior parts. Radyne racing shift linkage and Hurst T-Handle with Nitrous button, padded armrest. Custom steering wheel hub. Simpson harnesses and high back cloth seats, (not faded).

Electrical – I-Squared electrical system installed. Custom aluminum housing between the seats for breaker access. Custom water pump and fan timers allow for engine cooling after ignition off. Underdash switches for lights and emergency blinkers, also hidden ignition arm. Push button starter button on dash. Custom indicator lights on dash for power, ignition, water pump, fan, blower, nitrous arm. Courtesy lights, engine and trunk lights.

Safety – Cold-Fire fire suppression system, twin outlet sprays in engine compartment, palm button and safety catch both in trunk and cockpit. Master electrical switch in cockpit between seats. Dual roll bars.

Body – Custom bodywork all done with epoxy resin. Custom metalflake paint, cut and buff clear coat. Paint is flawless spare some micro rock nicks on the front spoiler area. Roll bar bezels. Tangent Blind roll bar attachment kits, grill light kit, leather kit. Side and top windwings. Custom motorcycle side mirrors. Custom fitted car cover, never been in the rain. Garage kept with cover on 99% of time. New battery in custom rear trunk mount. Custom trunk floor for more storage and access to fuel sender and pump. Custom hidden trunk hinges.

Wow, that’s a lot and all details were sweated over during the build – you won’t be disappointed. Here’s more pictures showing the build and other points of interest.