Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member, Perhaps An Old Question: Build Sequencing?

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Member, Perhaps An Old Question: Build Sequencing?

Greetings all. I'll try to be concise.

Am gearing up for a potential build. In preparation, I visited FFR a couple weeks ago, observed their operations, talked with their folks, bought a MKIV print manual for review, and joined these forums to build my knowledge base.

Despite my search efforts, I'm -thus far- unable to track down clear project plans which discuss sequencing the build.

Primarily, I'm seeking information on the "can't do this after that," "must do this before that," "better to delay this," and "better to start this earlier versus later" items.

I do not wish to reincarnate an existing thread here. Should this information exist, please point me in the right direction and I'll quietly carry on with my research.

Many thanks.

MBDSLPWR

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been following the book, except my modifications, and so far it is coming along nicely.
    You may want to go to the build school because I've had a friend go and he loved it, but chose to NOT order a kit.
    He said if he did decide to order a kit he might just go back to the build school for a refresher course because it was so much fun.
    Check out the attached video and see if this might be of interest to you:

https://youtu.be/MKsh3yTzGYA

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.ffcars.com/#/topics/168897?page=1&_k=ai4a3i

This is in the FAQ section of the "other" site

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a lot of flexibility on how to proceed. The manual goes in a pretty good order. My limiting factor on following the manual was parts availability. I started following the book until I got to a point I was stopped waiting for a backordered part. Everyone has a different experience and time tables with back orders so that will be the unknown. At one point I had multiple areas of the car about 90% done waiting for a part to show up. When it did I was able to finish that area and mark it off my list. I had zero experience coming into this but once I got going it became pretty apparent what needed to be done before what. I found it useful to make a checklist of sorts. When I got to a point in the manual and I did not have what I needed to complete that step I had a separate list I would write down the page number, what I was missing, and what I needed to do. Then later on when those parts came in and I completed that step I could cross it off my list. Helped to make sure I did not skip any important steps.

A few specific tips I have come across that may be what you are looking for:

A good tip I got on aluminum panels was do not do a final install until you absolutely have to. The more of those that are permanently installed the more items on the car will be harder to access. This is particularly important for the side and top of the drivers footbox. Clecos are extremely handy for temporarily holding panels in position.
    Guys do panels differently but I found it worked good to drill them all as much as I could when I was taking them off the frame for the first time. I got about 95% of the holes drilled as they came off and then took them all to the powder coater. Then as I was reassembling I never had to do much more panel work or have any sort of wait for them to be coated.

I find the search function on this forum hard to use and find exactly what I am looking for. If you have questions fire away. Great community of people here that are happy to help you out.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 01-17-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: edited to remove incorrect info
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    ...Don't install the trunk floor permanently until after you have secured the rear cockpit wall...
    Actually that is backwards---don't install the back wall until after you have riveted the trunk floor.

MBDSLPWR,
    Your question is kind of broad; can you be more specific? It is possible to jump back and forth on many items when necessary due to convenience, supply or space issues. My general order is:

---build suspension
    ---run brake and fuel lines (a few aluminum panels need to be in place when doing this)
    ---install aluminum but leaving off the top and outside of the driver's footbox
    ---install wiring
    ---install drivetrain and cooling system
    ---initial body fit
    ---bodywork & paint
    ---insulation & carpet (body off)
    ---final body installation and trimout

Nothing is set in stone but that works for me.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    A related question of sorts... Is there a sequential list of all the parts included in the Mark IV Complete kit? I find myself picking up a bag of bolts (say number 12345) and having to go page by page in the shipping list to determine what they are for.
    It would be great if a list existed that showed all the parts in numerical order.
    It also would have been great if I'd organized the parts better when I unpacked but thats another story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Actually that is backwards---don't install the back wall until after you have riveted the trunk floor.

MBDSLPWR,
    Your question is kind of broad; can you be more specific? It is possible to jump back and forth on many items when necessary due to convenience, supply or space issues. My general order is:

---build suspension
    ---run brake and fuel lines (a few aluminum panels need to be in place when doing this)
    ---install aluminum but leaving off the top and outside of the driver's footbox
    ---install wiring
    ---install drivetrain and cooling system
    ---initial body fit
    ---bodywork & paint
    ---insulation & carpet (body off)
    ---final body installation and trimout

Nothing is set in stone but that works for me.

Jeff
    Thanks for correcting me Jeff. Posted that to early this morning and had a brain cramp! I am deleting that from my previous post so there is no confusion.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Johnson View Post
    A related question of sorts... Is there a sequential list of all the parts included in the Mark IV Complete kit? I find myself picking up a bag of bolts (say number 12345) and having to go page by page in the shipping list to determine what they are for.
    It would be great if a list existed that showed all the parts in numerical order.
    It also would have been great if I'd organized the parts better when I unpacked but thats another story.
    Not aware of any such list. Wouldn't it be easier to do the opposite? Only look for a part number (e.g. bag of bolts) when the build sequence calls for their use? After the inventory, I leave all the parts in the boxes as shipped. If I add or move anything or as backordered stuff arrives, I mark up the list so it's always accurate. Then use the packing list to find specific items. Stuff is generally grouped together, but not always.

I'm with Jeff on the sequence he shows. The only caveat I would add, especially for new builders, is for brake, fuel and wiring keep an eye on the aluminum panels and where they're going to fit. Make sure you're hanging tubing and wiring in available space as well as where it can be serviceable when you're done.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Followed the book for the most part. One thing I found useful in addition to what's listed above I also left the PS outside footbox panel off till I had the carpet fitted & Installed.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff - I'd like to ask more specific questions, but being so new, it's all a case of "I don't know what I don't know." With these initial responses and some more digging, I can (and will) ask more pointed questions.

To all - thanks for the useful information so far.

MBDSLPWR
    Last edited by MBDSLPWR; 01-17-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling error.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I'll add my 2 cents. On parts, I find that I have to go back to the original inventory frequently. I labeled the plastic bags of hardware as to what they are (i.e. header bolts, fuel parts, etc.) so it's easier to understand. I, too, sought a numerical list, but other than me creating a spreadsheet of parts (I didn't), there is no consolidated parts list other than your packing (by shipping box) list. Relative to the sequence item, I tried to stick with the sequence in the manual, except where Build School advice differed. I'm beginning to think it doesn't make that much difference, as I end up doing and undoing so many times. But what the heck - isn't that the fun part?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have an example build spreadsheet I could borrow as a start point?

Pre-empting a legitimate question from elsewhere: "Do you really want to know the costs?" Not overly concerned about costs, but -DO- want to track options and suppliers and prioritize options within a budget. Seems a key planning activity.
    "Time spent in recon is seldom wasted."

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an excel spread sheet that I used to record every purchase I made during the construction of my car. I have a tab that compares budget to actual and a tab that summarizes the purchases by type of item such as tools, hardware, supplies, parts (such a battery, turn signals ect.). Some may say I'm anal but the reality is I am an accountant. I would be happy to share it with you. Send me a PM with your email and I will send it off.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    JIMOCO - Thanks. PM en route.
    "Time spent in recon is seldom wasted."

Post Thanks / Like
    if you are building it per the book, the sequence in the manual is a good guide. Each time you add an option or deviate from the book it can change the sequence a bit. I was pretty lucky with back ordered parts, meaning I had a few but they never interfered with my sequence. Even with parts issues there is always something that you can be working on. I think if you are powder coating or doing something special with your body panels you will need to think your steps through carefully and mock up assemblies more so than if you are following the book and riveting on bare aluminum panels. Have fun. Each choice you make, makes your finished project and your build experience unique.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed the manual except for the previously mentioned trunk floor/rear cockpit panel installation and I ran the rear wiring harness, brake and fuel lines before the cockpit and trunk aluminum were permanently installed.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    The great people at FFR put the assembly manual together for the benefit of the builder. Follow the assembly manual in sequence from the front to back and you won't find yourself built into a corner cause you thought you could deviate and do it better. Now, before I get "Trumped" for that comment .... yes you can jump around some, but the 1st time builder will benefit from following the manual.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Like Norm B, I installed the brake and fuel lines, rear harness and drilled my roll bars before installing the aluminum in the trunk and cockpit.
    Other than that I've pretty much done the build by the book except for the alternative engine, transmission, and rear end.
    I did move the wiring harness to the passenger side, to keep the driver's foot box clean, so the blinkers had to be flipped and I had to extend the brake pedal light switch wire.
    While these changes may be off the deep end, the build sequence has been in the order of the book.
    Shown below is pretty much where I am, so if I can do it, then so can you:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.