Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front bike fender trimming?

Post Thanks / Like

Front bike fender trimming?

Getting ready to fit the front fenders. FFR gives me a lot of extra meat on the inside (mount side) and I would like to neaten that up a bit. Please post a picture of your fender that shows how you trimmed them. This picture shows the rough idea of my plan but I could use some examples of what we know works before I decide. Thank you for your input...
    14846926787471759731118.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    dont know about trimming yet, but my rule of thumb is " thats how i like it" BTW could you send a snap of the damn mounting hardware?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 135fixer View Post
    dont know about trimming yet, but my rule of thumb is " thats how i like it" BTW could you send a snap of the damn mounting hardware?
    first thing tomorrow, I will take a pic and get it posted. What I chose to do was use shorter bolts that went through the spindles and link arms and the fender l-brackets. Then I used metric coupler nuts with lock washers to hold that together so I could remove the fenders and brackets without pulling the hubs off to get those stupid long bolts out. I saw the idea somewhere here on the forum and modified it to suit my needs. I will send a pic of that as well. When I mounted the fenders, I went ahead and tapped the bracket holes to 5/16-18 threads so I could install the fenders from the inside with button head screws and of all things, fender washers. the 7/8" long screws came out virtually flush with the bracket so its really clean looking.
    Heres what the mounts look like:20170122_105926.jpg. I had to add a 1/4 spacer to get the fender centered over the tire. I tried cutting the original spacers but I am to clumsy to get four the same thickness. The spacers are 1/2 id collars from farm equip.
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 01-22-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added pictures

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, take a look at Tiger Bill's post from 27 APR 2014 showing how his front fenders cracked. Not sure he ever determined why but he may have not sanded all the saw marks out in the leading edge leaving a stress riser. Or perhaps he trimmed the leading edge of the vertical part back too far allowing more flex from wind buffeting which eventually cracked at the front adjacent to the intersection of vertical to horizontal sections. Here's a link (hope it works):http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...t+bike+fenders Your photo in your first post shows the planned trim pattern and you have left more material than Tiger Bill did so yours looks more robust. Anyway, it's always good to review what others have done and especially if they had problems we might avoid on our builds. Looking forward to seeing your's completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap! Thats not good and exactly what I am trying to avoid. Not building this for show. It has to be sturdy and not flop around on our lousy highways here in the Peoples Republic of California.

I noticed that my bike fenders had a ridge or perhaps a bit of extra material in several places on the inside of where Tigers broke. I also noted that the fenders are not solid fiberglass but have a core of some sort. That was apparent when drilling through them for the mounting holes. Maybe I will consider a couple layers of glass along that corner for extra support.