FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TKO transmission shim

Post Thanks / Like

TKO transmission shim

After following the threads, I knew I would have to shim up the transmission. (427w, TKO, Moser M9). It seemed that most people were good with a 3/4 inch shim, some with 1 inch, so I decided to start with the 3/4 inch. Got it all made up and painted and installed it. Eyeballing it, it looked real good. I, once again, used EdwardB's ideas on the design of the shim. Thanks again Paul.

I then searched the forums on drive line alignment and started working on that. With the 3/4 inch shim, and adjusting the 3rd link, I could just get within limits of the pinion angle of 1 degree, and operating driveshaft angles of 1.6 and 2.6 degrees, again within limits. But of course my OCD couldn't leave it alone. I figured I could get it better.

When I bought the 3/4 inch stock from McMaster, I also ordered 7/8" and 1" stock as well, just in case. So I made another shim from the 7/8" bar, painted it, and installed it. This got me just about perfect. Another small adjustment on the 3rd link got me to a perfect 0 degree pinion angle, and operating angles of 1.5 on each end of the drive shaft. About as good as you can get.

Of course, with all the measuring and figuring, I came across another little issue. My rear axle was a little cockeyed, which meant that the car would not track perfectly. It wasn't off by much, but, ah heck, I noticed it and now I had to fix it. The FFR lower control arms are not adjustable, so I ordered Gordon Levy's adjustable lower control arms and installed them as well. By measuring off the frame, I adjusted the rear axle straight(er). Only about 3/8", but it should be real close now.

The bottom line: the rear end and drive line should all be perfect now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad my shim fabrication ideas were useful. Looks like you're getting things dialed in. Two comments. First, you don't mention ride height. I assume this measuring and adjusting you're doing is at ride height? Otherwise it's not valid. I suspect you've got this covered, but just double checking. Second, for your three link, you actually want a little negative pinion angle at rest. The pinion will rise some under load. I believe most recommend 1 to 1-1/2 degrees negative for this suspension. Then under load it is around that zero degree ideal number.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good points, Paul. I was laying in bed last night and remembered that I should have noted the ride height in my post.

Yes, I have the ride height set at 3.9" front, and 4.25" rear. Once the car is finished and at final weight, I'll re-adjust the ride heights back to those numbers.

As for the pinion angle, I thought about that, but figured I would tweak the 3rd link, or the LCA's later, once I was closer to final weights and such. As for the 1 to 1-1/2 figure, I was thinking less than that. Am I wrong? I'll need to go back and research some more I guess. I was figuring less than 1 degree, like maybe 1/2 degree, especially now since I have no rubber bushings in the rear axle set up at all. The LCA's and the 3rd link all have Heim joints now, so would that eliminate, or nearly so, the movement under load?

It's amazing how you change one little thing on the drive line, and it affects 3 or 4 other things. Go figure.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Good points, Paul. I was laying in bed last night and remembered that I should have noted the ride height in my post.

Yes, I have the ride height set at 3.9" front, and 4.25" rear. Once the car is finished and at final weight, I'll re-adjust the ride heights back to those numbers.

As for the pinion angle, I thought about that, but figured I would tweak the 3rd link, or the LCA's later, once I was closer to final weights and such. As for the 1 to 1-1/2 figure, I was thinking less than that. Am I wrong? I'll need to go back and research some more I guess. I was figuring less than 1 degree, like maybe 1/2 degree, especially now since I have no rubber bushings in the rear axle set up at all. The LCA's and the 3rd link all have Heim joints now, so would that eliminate, or nearly so, the movement under load?

It's amazing how you change one little thing on the drive line, and it affects 3 or 4 other things. Go figure.
    You're thinking through this and all good. I personally don't have any 3-link experience, so can't give you a firm answer. Only what I've seen from others. It's going to move some as the suspension moves and squats under acceleration for example. I can't say whether 1/2 degree or whatever is right. Only that zero at rest may not be quite right. But you know how to adjust, so easy enough to tweak. The only diffs that don't move are the IRS ones that are bolted to the frame. Doesn't apply to us, but some rear suspension types, like leaf springs, they put the pinion angle at negative 5 or 6. Those are obviously really moving!
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-18-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You're thinking through this and all good. I personally don't have any 3-link experience, so can't give you a firm answer. Only what I've seen from others. It's going to move some as the suspension moves and squats under acceleration for example. I can't say whether 1/2 degree or whatever is right. Only that zero at rest may not be quite right. But you know now to adjust, so easy enough to tweak. The only diffs that don't move are the IRS ones that are bolted to the frame. Doesn't apply to us, but some rear suspension types, like leaf springs, they put the pinion angle at negative 5 or 6. Those are obviously really moving!
    Thanks again. Maybe I'll start a new thread to see what the consensus is on what an "un-loaded" vs. "loaded" pinion angle should be.