BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring harness placement question.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring harness placement question.

I got into laying out the wiring harness this afternoon. The directions are pretty vague but I'm fumbling my way through it. How do you guys keep everything neat and out of the way of the master cylinders and cutch and accelerator cables. Also the rear harness, alternator, starter, and sending unit wires seem to all need to run out of a mysterious hole in the engine side of the drivers foot box. I have no such hole! Should I drill a hole and put a large grommet there? Any pictures of pedal box neatness and wiring routing would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks as always

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some photos of how I ran the Ron Francis harness on a carbed roadster I built for a customer

Rear harness runs through the "mystery hole" at the upper rear corner of the RH driver's footbox panel (maybe it's not there on the most recent footbox panel configuration):

Then thru the tunnel to the rear where it branches off to the fuel tank and corners. Break out of the loom where necessary for items such as the speed sensor or neutral switch:

I extended the alternator and solenoid wires then ran them to the right side between the firewall and dash. I made an aluminum patch panel and ran the loom through it with grommets then forward along the outside of the upper 3/4" square tube where they become virtually invisible when the body is on:

From there one leg hits the alternator, the other goes to the solenoid which is mounted to the RH engine mount perch. This combined with a front mount battery keeps the cables short:

The front harness, with items such as lighting, horns, cooling fan, etc. goes through the big hole in the front bulkhead and along the outside of the upper left hand 3/4" square tube. Additionally a smaller loom (above the booster and to the right in this photo) carries wires going to the coil, distributor and oil pressure sender:

Finally the remaining wires for electric choke, coolant temp. sender and thermostatic fan control sensor are punched through the center of the firewall:

Everything is in split loom and I always use a rubber grommet anytime I send loom through an aluminum panel. I think that's about it---hope it helps!

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff that's perfect. The patch panel you are referring to, I don't see it in the panel. I see we're you went through the firewall but don't see the panel. I like the idea of extending the alternator and solenoid to get them to the passenger side! I have the rear harness ran and looking good and I understand the front harness. It was that mystery hole that had me stymied. I will drill a hole and get a grommet for it.