FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Important Advice for Coyote builds

Post Thanks / Like

Important Advice for Coyote builds

Change out your OEM oil pump drive gears ASAP.
    The OEM gears are made of powdered metal and can't stand up to the harmonics created in the 'Yotes beginning around 5500 rpm - that's right Ford installed a critical part that fails at 5500 in a motor designed to redline at 7,000
    Ask me how I know?
    I sold my MK11 several years ago and I purchased a 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack car. I've been making modifications to correct the issues Ford didn't fix, shifter bracket, aftermarket suspension, one piece DS etc.
    Last week I was driving home from a friends, country road doing under 60 mph and it starts behaving oddly, then the dash lights up with low oil pressure warnings and I shut it off immediately. I'm talking a 6th gear 1500 rpm cruise. Turned a bearing, Coyote sounds like a Jamaican steel drum band. My car has 100,000 KMs on it - we're talking 60,000 miles and it self destructed.
    I have not done any mods to the engine, it is box stock as delivered, those who know me can tell you how anal I am about regular maintenance and my Mustang got a fresh load of Mobil 1 when the oil use read out was in the 50% range.
    Ford introduced the 'Yote in 2011 and immediately went sporty car racing and the pump drive gears were the first failure, they know about it but never did anything about it. You can buy billet steel replacement gears in the $120 range and YouTube makes it look a reasonably easy two hour fix.
    Don't put it off, I'm looking at good money to rebuild it or bigger money to replace it.
    Scott
    2014 Mustang GT Track Pack
    F5 MKII (sold)
    MKIV soon
    "When in doubt go to full throttle, it may not solve the problem but it will end the suspense"

2. Thanks Redlinejoev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It damn sure isn’t a 2 hour fix.... 6 if you know what you’re doing and have the right tools. 12+ if you don’t. Ford did bandaid it on the gen 3 5.0 with a better harmonic balancer.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    posted this a few months back... unless you're pushing 700+ HP you're probably safe

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...oyote+oil+pump
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    btw - here's the work involved... it's A LOT of work...

Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!