Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting prepped for first start.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting prepped for first start.

My tristar 351w crate engine should arrive early next week. In an attempt to get all of my ducts in a row, I have started gathering all of my engine accessories and anything else that I can think of that will help facilitate my first start hopefully next weekend. Here is a list of what I have gathered so far.

Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump
    79 LTD water pump (drivers side lower inlet for my application)
    28oz flywheel
    Flywheel bolts
    Bellhousing to block bolts
    Transmission spacer plate
    Msd 6al
    Blaster 2 coil
    100amp alternator from cvf racing
    Pulley set with spacer from cvf racing (includes belt)

I have a starter, clutch, pressure plate, and transmission as well.

Is there anything that I am leaving out?? I will grab the recommended oil once the engine arrives for break in. I will also grab transmission fluid as well. Do you guys have any tips or advice on prepping for a first start? The engine will have been dynod prior to arrival so it should not take much to get it dialed in.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Usudno; 01-28-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    bellhousing to block plate (this may be what you meant by trans spacer plate) but be sure to install it BEFORE the flywheel.
    bellhousing to block alignment dowels
    pilot bearing inside the crank recess for trans input shaft
    Grab an extra of break-in additive concentrate. I ran that in my first new oil after draining the break-in oil.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the dowels, they came with my flywheel. Bellhousing is also already installed on the transmission. The transmission has a new throwout bearing, clutch fork and all. What pilot bearing are you reffering to?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need to dial in the bell housing before assembly. This may require purchasing eccentric dowel pins. If you can't find these locally I get mine from RobbMc Performance. It also helps if you develop a check list of all the things to check and adjust for the first start. I always run mine a a test stand before installing them in a car as problems are much easier to deal with on the stand than in the car. That includes engines that were tested by the builder before shipment. Unless you have a break in oil you've used with good luck, use what the engine builder recommends and if he recommends a synthetic oil better do a little research first. I prefer Joe Gibbs BR 5W30 break in oil and either a Royal Purple or Mobil 1 oil filter. If you normally use Fram filters I suggest you also do some research on oil filters. Good luck, the first start is a milestone in any build.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean about dialing in the bellhousing? Please elaborate. The bellhousing is currently attached to the trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to American Powertrains website. They have link to YouTube video regarding bell housing dialin. Very informative.
    Doug
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    ...What pilot bearing are you reffering to?
    The pilot bearing is driven into the end of the crankshaft and the transmission input shaft engages it. Without it it the trans would destroy itself in short order---Craig may have just saved you from learning an expensive lesson!

Jeff

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dialing in the bell housing is simply checking and adjusting the concentricity of the bell housing to the crankshaft so that there is no bind between the pilot bearing and the trans input shaft. There is a tolerance that the transmission manufacturer wants to see held to ensure reliability and proper performance of his product. As Bobby Doug suggested, you can find videos (many videos) on the subject via YouTube. It's an important step that often gets overlooked by many hobbyists. Some get lucky and the run-out is close enough to get by without any significant problems other than premature wear of the transmission. Others see major problems like trouble shifting and blame it on the trans. I've seen some out significantly beyond spec. Do yourself a favor and perform this important step. You've spent a lot of time and money on your build and you want it to be right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff and naz. I will look into the bellhousing alignment as well as the pilot bearing.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should have one person who's ONLY job is to stand by with a properly rated fire extinguisher. And do the first start outside of your garage. There have been a few builders who've lost their shop etc. do to a first start fire.
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely what Ray said!
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure your phone is charged for the "must have" first start video, and cold beers for the celebration that follows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fire extinguisher will be on hand. First start will be outside. Beers WILL be had!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, Quick question. Shouldn't the crate motor come with a pilot bearing? I can pick one up just in case but I figured it may come on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you were using an automatic trans, you would not need a pilot bearing. It should not have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    Jeff, Quick question. Shouldn't the crate motor come with a pilot bearing? I can pick one up just in case but I figured it may come on it.
    Not necessarily. If you didn't ask your builder to install one I wouldn't expect it. As GSides9 pointed out they are not used with an automatic.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a call into then now

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a call into then now

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't trust the results of a phone call. It's a $5 part and a 30 second install so not a high priority to remember or record if they installed one. look in the end of the crank-it's pretty easy to see.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep.. I've done a little research on it. I'll pick one up today. Thanks for the help guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man am I glad I read through this. A pilot bearing is now added to my parts list. My motor is out of a mercury mountaineer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a part number handy.. I go to orielly auto parts and ask for a pilot bearing and they pull up clutch pilot bearings. I find a part on summit and their part that have two different diameters. One is .669 and the other is .678 or there abouts. Just want to make sure it will fit my application. Thanks