Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is the consensus for a pinion angle on a 3 link

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the consensus for a pinion angle on a 3 link

I recently posted a progress report on my shimming of the TKO transmission ( http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...nsmission-shim ). EdwardB brought up a good point on properly setting up a pinion angle in a static (unloaded) condition, versus the loaded pinion angle that is desired. Right now, I'm at a 0 degree pinion angle, static, and was going to tweak it to a slight negative angle in order to have a 0 degree angle under load. I have a Moser M9 rear end, a 427w, TKO600, custom 11-1/2 inch driveshaft with Spicer 1350NZ U-joints, and with Gordon Levy's LCA's on the 3 link setup. All pivot joints on the 3 link have Heim joints, so there are no rubber bushings in the suspension, and I hope very little angular deflections and rotating of the rear end and pinion.

With that, should there be minimal negative static pinion angle (I'm thinking in the neighborhood of a half degree), or does it need to be more pronounced, like 1 or 2 degrees, (or more)? Apparently, the really "loose" rear ends (leaf springs, etc.) need way more that that, but I'm hoping my setup is solid enough to need a very minimal negative pinion angle (static).

What say all of you?
    Last edited by boat737; 02-02-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread