BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  71
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Making progress on my build...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think in those areas I would make an addition to the door frame that extends out to the skin and then glass over that tube.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will find that if you do a small square tube down low, and another one up high, horizontally, and weld them to the door frame and then glass over them, that will make for a very strong, durable, door.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the joys of a one-off car. When I built the door frame, I was thinking sleek, minimal material, minimize weight. You can be assured that the passenger door frame will fit the door skin a little better!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a functioning door! On passenger side, will make the door frame slightly different so I can glass the frame directly to the door skin per Mike's recommendations.

Last edited by beeman; 10-15-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Panels will be refinished of course

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Progress!
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Bee-

Doors and door cards look great! You are in possession of large brass ones my friend! Taking the parts from different cars, cutting things up, welding like a madman, adding countless customizations all in the pursuit of a cool ride; mad respect!!

I have really enjoyed following along, and always look forward to your latest update. Keep up the awesome work!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, slowly but surely! I have a track weekend at M1 Concourse in 3 weeks, need to do a few prep things on the roadster (fluids, brakes, alignment, maybe bumpsteer, pre-radiator aluminum) which will take a little time away from the 'project'.
    Started side "B" this morning.

Just throwing this out there... If you are cutting fiberglass, I highly recommend a respirator like the one on the left. It keeps the dust out of your lungs. Good $30 investment, every garage should have one...obviously need it for VOCs as well. N95 on the right, I can smell the fiberglass so it's not keeping all the dust out of your system. Keeping it out of your eyes, that's a whole 'nother thing

Here we go again!

Last edited by beeman; 06-24-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    The devil really is in the necessary details... ie the adjustable window stops

Passenger door coming along.

Picked up a spare roof, going to build it into a lightweight composite roof, ideally one that I can separate in half for stowage like the 918 and other modern targas. The Honda roof is pretty cool though, aluminum and weighs about 22 pounds with cosmetics included.

Last edited by beeman; 06-25-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    GTM off the lift, need to prep the go kart for track weekend in 1 week.

I always thought the roadster was a little car... Until now! It is massive!

Back on the ground with new door frame, I like the height of the outer door bar at 25". Inner chassis side bars planned as well for rigidity and protection.

Last edited by beeman; 07-07-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Spending the weekend at M1 Concourse. Interesting track. Roadster has been performing great.. Thanks FFR!

Saw this pretty lady walking after dinner. Gorgeous!

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Your thread caught my eye not because I knew what you were doing, but by your screen name. (My last name is "Beamon", pronounced the same as your screen name!) But I am so glad I took the time to read your thread! My customization work on my MKIV to add a tilt front is child's play compared to your amazing work! I just read the entire thread. Your work is truly amazing. Your vision is amazing. You can be very proud of what you are doing! It takes confidence to cut up any of these finely designed vehicles, but to do it to the top of the line GTM takes some serious levels of skill and creativity. I chuckled at your question about the look of the taillights. By that point in your thread, I was already so dumbfounded with your amazing work that I could barely form words to tell you how much I loved the taillights! It all is truly amazing. Keep up the good work, and thank you for sharing it with us! Your work is inspiring me!! I had been thinking Coupe as my next project, but your inspiration is drawing me back to reconsidering the GTM again. I guess I had better finish the FlipTop first!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Your thread caught my eye
    Thank you for the kind words! I really considered a tilt front on the Roadster as well, I followed a thread on a tilt front a while back (maybe Stinson Pilot). I also think that the Coupe would be an awesome build, I have definitely considered it. In my mind, it's a lot like the Roadster as far as how I would enjoy it, so I wanted something completely different. I'm not going to build more than 1 GTM, so I decided to go a little crazy and make sure it ended up the way I want it.

I just spent a couple days at M1 Concourse. After a few laps to get those tire walls out of my mind, I ended up really liking the track. Other than 1 episode resulting in a 'tow of shame' (car sputtered and died after the hairpin turn...turns out I had triggered the inertial fuel cutoff switch - didn't even get off the track!), the car did amazing. But it seemed like I was in between 2nd and 3rd gear for a lot of the corners. I'm ready to take it up a notch with more power and real aero. That's where the GTM comes in.

Good luck finishing your Roadster! You will have a ton of fun with it.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting brakes done on the GTM so I can get an official alignment including caster prior to any permanent fender positioning. Hope to have them bled today.
    Summer is not conducive to a blistering build pace. Kids started school this week, summer flew by.
    Spending a lot of time with the roadster, Auburn auction/cruise-ins in 2 weeks, heading to Gingerman in 4 weeks.
    Here's a pic from M1 Concourse. Lap timer wasn't working right, from video I was running a 1:22.5 or so.

Last edited by beeman; 08-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Brakes are done and bled. I read that you have to use some kind of GM tool to trigger the ABS while bleeding, everything seemed to bleed fine with no leaks and a very firm pedal. That may change the first time the ABS actuates.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR supplied seats are OK, but leave a little to be desired. I feel like they were made to fit all sizes from 150-280 pounds. I'm sure they fit fine with the standard chassis, but I'm finding them to be too wide in the seat and upper wing areas. Yes they fit, but barely, and I don't need that wide of a seat. So I tried something that really turned out great. Del Sol seats are desirable swaps in the Honda community, they have excellent support and sit lower than other Honda seats. I disassembled the Del Sol seat into upper and lower portions and ditched the OEM sliders. Total weight of the upper and lower portions with metal internals is 16 lbs, compared to 13.6 lbs for the FFR GTM seat. Headrest is removable via clips, will have to be modified.
    Should be straight forward to fab up some brackets.
    Crappy donor seat used for proof of concept, will find a nice one or get it recovered.

Seat bottom width at maximum point (bolsters) is 19.5". Seat upright is 19.5" wide at bolster, 17.5" wide at upper 'wings'.

The lower seat portion fits perfectly in the GTM seat location, as does the upper.

Other than a thin metal shell and very comfortable foam, my butt is right on the floor. Headroom, baby!

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Really leaning towards a mono front wiper, to keep things simple and light. I procured a Toyota rear window wiper that looks like it will work well for the rare times I see rain. Off/int/run. Entire assembly with wiper/arm is 2.8lbs.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy smokes, just went through this entire thread. To think when I first clicked on it I was going to be looking at someone's really nice build thread...wow did I underestimate what I'd see. Hats off to you on what so far looks incredible. Sub'd to see the rest

BTW...love the Mexico Blue on the Roadster. I'm a huge Porsche fan and that is one of my favorite colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mia65cobra View Post
    Holy smokes, just went through this entire thread. To think when I first clicked on it I was going to be looking at someone's really nice build thread...wow did I underestimate what I'd see. Hats off to you on what so far looks incredible. Sub'd to see the rest

BTW...love the Mexico Blue on the Roadster. I'm a huge Porsche fan and that is one of my favorite colors.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed catching up! Yeah I had my mind set on Mexico Blue for the roadster... Showed my painter (who specializes in muscle cars) and he was skeptical, to say the least, about my color choice. As soon as he had color on the car, he was immediately sending pics to his buddies, it really works.

Didn't have time to get an alignment this morning. So the latest tangent is that I'm going to build up the passenger door as a suicide door and see which side I like better. Actually, with the shape of my door frame and limited ability to hinge solidly at the front, I won't be surprised if the passenger door wins the talent contest. I think it's going to be a cool feature.

Driver side. Works but there is flexing of the door (at the hinge) while open.

Getting ready to fab up the passenger side.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Love the idea of the suicide door. Hope you can make that work. Looks like it would make it much easier to get in and out also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Summer is winding down, time to make some progress on the GTM... Took the roadster up to Gingerman Raceway last weekend, had a ball with it. It really holds its own up against the new stuff but just can't keep up on the long straights. Was running about a 1:50 lap on day 2. Instructor gave me a nice compliment, said of the many Cobra replicas he's been in, mine drove and handled the best. He's done over 20k laps at Gingerman. I'm still a rookie, just done a couple track days a year for the past few years...

The GTM story continues with two steps backwards. I didn't care for my main roll hoop on the GTM... If I leaned the seat back, my helmeted head easily contacted it up top, and it stuck in too much from my b-pillar, which was contacting my seat back.
    Here's a pic of what I'm talking about :

So I busted out the Sawzall and markers and got to work

I am SO MUCH happier with this roll hoop compared to the old one. I really took my time to make every bend perfect,
    I got it to where I want it down to millimeters. It just disappears into the body. Now I can move forward on the project without that 'I think that could be better' feeling...

Last edited by beeman; 09-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Its amazing the time and work you have done to the car. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey, I think I see a little piece of metal there that used to be part of the original GTM you started with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Hey, I think I see a little piece of metal there that used to be part of the original GTM you started with.
    I think you are referring to the hatch hinge mount. Unfortunately, it is destined for the scrap heap.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mad skills Bee!

I always look forward to your updates! I really admire the vision you have for this car, and even more the ability to convert that image to action.

I hope you are able to spend a lot of time in the shop this winter, so we can all see the progress you are making.

Thanks for posting your progress; seriously mad skills!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah Beeman! Looking good!

It’s scary to make the first cut, but your into it now!

Every day is a new challenge of how do we make this fit and work.

I wish I was right there with you.

The best part is when you are done you will have a very fast one of a kind car super car.

That’s priceless.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, I'll try to keep things moving along!

Just got a text from my engine builder. Not sure how they crammed 525 ponies into this, but LPE is awesome!

Last edited by beeman; 09-26-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what LPE is selling you, but 525 HP LS3s are a standard factory crate option from GM. It's what we run in the FFR PDG GTM race car. We actually get a bit more than that with a good tune and carefully built exhaust.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...41625/10002/-1
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Crash, I'm familiar with the GM crate motors, I looked at the one you linked to, it's very similar to the one that is being built for me. Cost is similar so it really didn't affect my decision. LPE built the LS1 I have in my C5, and I have had no issues with it. I wanted to stay with them for the GTM because I have experience with them, plus great communication and support. I'll have help with installation and a dyno tune as well. Plus I want a little LPE sticker on the GTM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    She has a heart! Engine arriving tomorrow, better get cracking! Swapped out the LS3 water pump for the LS1, smooth valley cover, moved oil pressure sender to side of block...

Last edited by beeman; 10-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another frame mod, at full lock my tires are about 2" below this tube, could contact on compression... Stupid wide tires...

So before I go further, taking these down to re-do that tube, shouldn't be too bad. Got the driver's side taken down...
    Last edited by beeman; 10-21-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Seems good that you caught that when you did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I noticed it as soon as I installed the CCW's a long time ago, has been on the 'to-do list' for a while... One of those things that I wasn't looking forward to but knew I had to correct. I'm trying to finalize the chassis so I can get a final alignment and go to town on the body.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Got that frame tube replaced, had to redo the shock mount, no big deal. These are the vette tires, even more clearance with the CCW'S.

Now it's time to get the door frame done, it's going to be a complete redo so I can hinge at the rear.

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Now it's time to get the door frame done, it's going to be a complete redo so I can hinge at the rear.
    Nice work. Suicide doors? Sweet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got done getting an alignment, had not checked it since moving the UCA mounts.

7.5 caster
    1.15 camber
    1/16 toe
    Had a wide range of options up to 3 of camber and 9+ of caster.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Numbers look good. What about bump steer?
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    I had it down to minimal after moving the mounts but before this alignment today, so I'll obviously have to redo it. I think the driver's side alignment was around 8 caster and -2 camber where we started today. I didn't want quite that much caster or camber so we dialed both down a bit. So I'll recheck the bump steer and optimize it at some point.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast