Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2015 EJ20 + 6 Speed Trans

Post Thanks / Like

2015 EJ20 + 6 Speed Trans

Hello all,

I'm going to look through the threads a little bit more, but I wanted to get a definitive answer here if possible. I just got a pretty good offer on a motor and transmission: 2015 WRX EJ20 and 6 Speed Manual. The obvious question is: will it fit in the kit?

I remember reading somewhere recently that the 6 speed STI trans doesn't fit, but this isn't STI. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    You are a bit off on either the year or your abbreviation. the 2015 WRX has the FA20 motor in it. That may help your search. There have been a few threads on it. Not sure if anybody has gone through with it.

Search google: "FA20 site:thefactoryfiveforum.com"

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...he-FA20-engine

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 6 speed STI transmission does fit but requires a minor frame modification to make work. If you can weld, it will be easy. If you can't weld, anyone with a mig welder and a bandsaw could do it for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new WRX 6 speeds are more like the 5MT that we are used to. The case is very different than the STI 6 speed. It has a 75mm shaft spacing like the 5MT and no bump in the bottom like the STI 6 speeds do that make frame mods required. They are also not much stronger than a Legacy GT 5MT.

Having said that I have not tried to bolt one up to see if its direct fit.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    The new WRX 6 speeds are more like the 5MT that we are used to. The case is very different than the STI 6 speed. It has a 75mm shaft spacing like the 5MT and no bump in the bottom like the STI 6 speeds do that make frame mods required. They are also not much stronger than a Legacy GT 5MT.

Having said that I have not tried to bolt one up to see if its direct fit.
    hobby how do the weights compare?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    You are a bit off on either the year or your abbreviation. the 2015 WRX has the FA20 motor in it. That may help your search. There have been a few threads on it. Not sure if anybody has gone through with it.

Search google: "FA20 site:thefactoryfiveforum.com"

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...he-FA20-engine
    Thank you billjr212, and everyone for the info.

I have to say it's more than a little embarrassing. I'm far, far, (far) from being an expert, but I should have known better. I got off the phone with the guy excited and just spewed what I'd heard. Beside saying it was an "EJ20" he also said that it was a 2.0 Liter, and was quite emphatic about it coming from a 2015. I thought American WRXs haven't had 2.0s for quite some time now?

Either way, I'd like whatever ends up going into my kit to have forged pistons, and the price of whatever motor this was was too high to justify tearing it apart--especially when for a similar amount could get at least part of the motor built by someone who knows a lot more about it than I do. I think I'll keep saving and keeping my ears open for a cheap 2.5 and the right transmission.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    hobby how do the weights compare?
    I've only seen pictures and read post on nasioc so I do not know the weight difference.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The weight difference between the WRX 5 speed and the STI 6 speed is about 80lbs. Not sure about the newer WRX 6 speeds though.

Post Thanks / Like
    An FADIT engine in an 818 would be a monumental undertaking. In addition to being expensive it would also be very complex for little or no gains. I wouldn't suggest it.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    does the FA from a BRZ bolt to that transaxle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    does the FA from a BRZ bolt to that transaxle?
    I'll take a shot at this, I'm sure someone here will probably correct me because I'm no expert on the new tanny. I've thought about building an NA 818R using the method below. Here's my understanding:

1) The BRZ FA block only bolts to the new RWD tranny, not any AWD tranny.

2) The 2015 WRX AWD FA block bolts to the new AWD 6 speed tranny and all the old EJ AWD trannies. There are guys on NASIOC who have put the 6 speed STI EJ AWD tranny on the 2015 WRX FA block.

See this You Tube of a 2015 WRX FA with a 2015 STI EJ 6 speed swap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BjLoe7W7L0

And NASIOC thread: 2015 WRX v7 JDM 6spd Swap https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...highlight=fl1p

So you could use a 2015 WRX FA short block as a base to build a NA 818R using a LGT or other 5 speed or to any 6 speed AWD tranny (new or old, that can be adapted to "FWD" and fits). You could use a 2015 FA whole engine assembly for a Turbo engine but there's lots of packaging issues to solve with it's turbo location so there's no real reason to use a WRX FA if you're going Turbo.

But that doesn't solve the oiling issues FA engines have. The BRZ/FRS/86GT time attack high downforce cars have issues with oil starvation. Phil at Element Tuning initially had a project to dry sump the FA engine but just a couple of days ago verified he has dropped the project for his BRZ Time Attack car. He says he's solved the oiling issue with his proprietary internal oiling modifications to the FA block, + an Accumulaor, + Oil Cooler. So he could build me a high compression FA engine with the typical mods (cams+head work+ HC pistons) to get the HP to NASA ST3 levels in a lightweight 818R using the 2015 WRX FA block. I'd probably use a LGT tranny. At least that's the theory. I'm too deep into my STI rebuild for this year that there's no way I could do it in 2017.

Here's his info page on the FA build: http://elementtuning.com/competition...r-wrx-fa20dit/
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 01-26-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great info, thank you for posting. I wonder how the new WRX AWD 6 speed compares in both strength and weight to the old STI 6 speed.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Great info, thank you for posting. I wonder how the new WRX AWD 6 speed compares in both strength and weight to the old STI 6 speed.....
    From what I've read not as strong as the old STI 6 speed (which is why they are doing the swaps into their new 2015 WRXs!); but stronger than a 5 speed. At least the 2nd gear in the new 6 speed is thicker than the 5 speed 2nd gear.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer