Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote flexible fuel lines and pressure regulator location questions

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote flexible fuel lines and pressure regulator location questions

It's been too long since I updated my build thread, but I'll do that shortly... In the mean time, I am moving on to fuel system and have a few questions:

1) I have the complete kit and the Coyote setup from FFR which means I received both the hard lines for fuel AND the flexible lines which came with the Coyote kit. I plan on using the flexible lines as that seems to be what they recommend. My only hesitation is that the EFI instruction book tells us to route the flexible fuel lines down the trans tunnel. I am putting on a driveshaft safety loop, so I guess I can get comfortable with that (and I understand that the coupe guys only have that option). Anyone have any problems or suggestions as I am starting fuel system today?

2) The manual says to mount the pressure regulator on the firewall or under the 2x2" tube. Can you show where you mounted it with easy access with a gen 2 coyote in there?

Thanks,
    Jason
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpgI used the flex lines and they worked perfectly. I mounted the regulator on the fire wall into the 2x2 next to the passenger foot box.
    Last edited by Mike Garrett; 06-28-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    2020 Mark 4, Coyote 5.0, gen 3, complete kit, solid rear. Started 3/22/20

3. Thanks Traveller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also mounted mine on the 2x2 tube. Actually quite a bit of room behind the engine. Visible in this picture early in the build. As far as the fuel lines, for the Roadster it's not necessary to run them inside the trans tunnel so I would recommend against it. I ran mine on the outside of the 4-inch round tube as high as I could. Pretty straight shot from back to front. I personally prefer and have installed hard lines with SS flex at each end. But the plastic flexible lines are OK too I guess. What most DD's use.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks Redlinejoev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My fuel lines run up the outside of the 4" tube on the passenger side. The advice I got was do not run fuel lines in the transmission tunnel. The people that told me that pretty much put an exclamation mark on it as well. Just sayin'.

My fuel pressure regulator is mounted in the same location as edwardb's.

I don't know what type of lines they provide in the kits now, but I can describe what I received and what is currently installed: I got hard lines. 5/16 feed and 1/4 return. That lasted about a month. I now have flexible lines running from the fuel filter (under the trunk) to the pressure regulator on the firewall and all the way back to the tank. I used 3/8 line in both directions. The flexible line allows a single piece of tubing for the entire trip to and from. Just my 2 cents.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Also mounted mine on the 2x2 tube. Actually quite a bit of room behind the engine. Visible in this picture early in the build. As far as the fuel lines, for the Roadster it's not necessary to run them inside the trans tunnel so I would recommend against it. I ran mine on the outside of the 4-inch round tube as high as I could. Pretty straight shot from back to front. I personally prefer and have installed hard lines with SS flex at each end. But the plastic flexible lines are OK too I guess. What most DD's use.
    Thank you, Paul. That picture really helped me see how much room I'll have to work with.

Jason
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    My fuel lines run up the outside of the 4" tube on the passenger side. The advice I got was do not run fuel lines in the transmission tunnel. The people that told me that pretty much put an exclamation mark on it as well. Just sayin'.

My fuel pressure regulator is mounted in the same location as edwardb's.

I don't know what type of lines they provide in the kits now, but I can describe what I received and what is currently installed: I got hard lines. 5/16 feed and 1/4 return. That lasted about a month. I now have flexible lines running from the fuel filter (under the trunk) to the pressure regulator on the firewall and all the way back to the tank. I used 3/8 line in both directions. The flexible line allows a single piece of tubing for the entire trip to and from. Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks. My kit came with both hard and flexible. I believe the hard lines are part of the complete kit, and the flexible come when you order the coyote install kit. Here is a pic I have of the flexible lines I installed:

Do you know if they can be cut down and the fittings reused? I found this site that suggests they can be so long as a new furrel is used:
    https://hotrodfuelhose.com/pages/tech-page

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    is it better to run the 3/8ths lines up the passenger or driver side rail?

at what point do you cross over to the engine bay to get the lines up to the regulator? seems you'd have to go under the 4" tube? or is there a spot to go over?
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    is it better to run the 3/8ths lines up the passenger or driver side rail?

at what point do you cross over to the engine bay to get the lines up to the regulator? seems you'd have to go under the 4" tube? or is there a spot to go over?
    This post in my #8674 build thread shows how I routed the fuel lines. 3/8-inch rigid stainless. But the same path would work for other types. Doesn't go under the 4-inch tube. This is a Coyote so pretty neutral which side to use. I used the PS since that's the same side as the fuel pump in the tank. For a carb build with a mechanical fuel pump, I run them on the DS since that's the side for the fuel pump at the engine.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post228787
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Thanks. My kit came with both hard and flexible. I believe the hard lines are part of the complete kit, and the flexible come when you order the coyote install kit. Here is a pic I have of the flexible lines I installed:

Do you know if they can be cut down and the fittings reused? I found this site that suggests they can be so long as a new furrel is used:
    https://hotrodfuelhose.com/pages/tech-page
    Unfortunately, I can't say with certainty whether or not your flexible line and fittings can be reused. According to the link you included, the hotrodfuel hoses can. I know my line came in one big roll, so I had to cut it and install the fittings, but that was a while ago. I'd check with FFR to see what they say, as I suspect different hose manufacturers take a different approach.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Paul - I have a question regarding how you mounted the clips that hold the brake and fuel lines. Your build thread shows that you used 10-32 fasteners into tapped holes in the frame, so I assumed this was to be able to remove lines later on if ever necessary. But, it looks like the clips that hold the rear brake line in the DS footbox are riveted, and that section of line is buried under Lizard skin, seemingly making that line a pretty permanent installation. Is the reason for the 10-32 fasteners vs. stainless steel rivets for all the clips mostly aesthetic? I'm always worried about fasteners coming loose years down the road, even with blue Loctite (I think that comes from riding single-cylinder motorcycles that eventually rattle EVERYTHING loose over time) so rivets would seem like a simple way to ensure those lines stay where they're supposed to stay.

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by JohnK; 06-29-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This post in my #8674 build thread shows how I routed the fuel lines. 3/8-inch rigid stainless. But the same path would work for other types. Doesn't go under the 4-inch tube. This is a Coyote so pretty neutral which side to use. I used the PS since that's the same side as the fuel pump in the tank. For a carb build with a mechanical fuel pump, I run them on the DS since that's the side for the fuel pump at the engine.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post228787
    ah yes, thanks Paul! I'm still shocked at how much room there is behind the Coyote!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!