Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cutting holes for passenger side roll bar

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting holes for passenger side roll bar

Hi guys,

I'm in the planning stages and have a question. Is it possible to cut the holes for the passenger side roll bar by using the driver's side roll bar? The reason I ask is, I want to buy a passenger roll bar later on so I can take passengers on my local track. I don't want to buy it with the initial order and I don't want it on the car for cruising and car shows. My thought is to cut the holes and make plugs to cover the holes until I need the roll bar at the track. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you could use the DS roll bar to confirm the proper hole locations for the front two holes. But you're going to need the actual PS roll bar to get the angled third leg. They're mirror images of each other. Lots of guys have the holes in the body with fillers when the roll bar isn't installed.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked the "Cutouts included" option and only the driver side roll bar. When I picked up the car, the passenger side holes were pre-marked with sharpie but not cut (picked up the car 2 weeks ago), so it seems you would have what you are looking for. The only difference may be that they knew that I only had one roll bar selected, so if you buy both they may go ahead and cut both.

One of my questions was whether a PS roll bar could be temporarily removed - it sounds like it can from the post above.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think your approaching it wrong and causing more work for yourself later on. Order both from FFR and fit them to the car. Then just remove the passenger side until you need it.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBen View Post
    I picked the "Cutouts included" option and only the driver side roll bar. When I picked up the car, the passenger side holes were pre-marked with sharpie but not cut (picked up the car 2 weeks ago), so it seems you would have what you are looking for. The only difference may be that they knew that I only had one roll bar selected, so if you buy both they may go ahead and cut both.

One of my questions was whether a PS roll bar could be temporarily removed - it sounds like it can from the post above.
    They mark the PS roll bar locations in all cases. But I would consider the marks as a starting point or suggestions. I would strongly recommend not cutting or drilling anything without the actual roll bar and checking carefully as you go. I just went through that on my current build with a PS roll bar. The factory markings were "close" but the final locations with the proper clearance were slightly different. Same for the factory cut holes on the DS. They needed to be adjusted to have the proper fit and clearance.

Yes, the rolls bars are removeable. Take the bolts out and they should slide out. But if it's something you're going to do all the time, you may need to adjust the bend on the main bar a bit to make it a true slip fit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like purchasing the roll bar up front is the best way to go. I was trying to figure out a way to spread out the initial cost a bit. Thanks!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines