Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 front and rear floors

Post Thanks / Like

818 front and rear floors

Instructions have you rivet front floor (below battery tray). I was thinking it might be worth making it remove-able with screws/rivnuts. Would love to hear thoughts for and against!

I think I would apply a thin self-adhesive rubber strip (maybe 031-062 thick) and then screw in place?

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Instructions have you rivet front floor (below battery tray). I was thinking it might be worth making it remove-able with screws/rivnuts. Would love to hear thoughts for and against!

I think I would apply a thin self-adhesive rubber strip (maybe 031-062 thick) and then screw in place?

-Ben
    Mine being an R version I try to make most things removable, this is one of the panels I riveted as I did not see anything there I needed access to from underneath and also that panel will get a lot of air flow on the track and wanted to make sure I did not have issues
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Two things. First over time steel screws would corrode and be a job to remove, so drilling out rivets would be an easier job. Second, while drilling the holes for the floor is easiest at the beginning of the build, riveting it on at the end may make the build a little easier.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use 1/4" rivet nuts and bolt it in place: Hold the pan in place with duct tape then drill a 1/8" hole through the pan and into the frame and then secure with a cleco. Repeat until you have enough holes in enough locations for the bolts. Remove the pan, then drill out the 1/8" holes in the frame to 25/64" and install rivetnuts in the frame. Then drill out the 1/8" holes in the pan to 1/4" or 5/16" to fit the 1/4 bolts.

I would not install either of the floor pans until the car is basically finished - just no reason to do it before then and it keeps this easily accessible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a 1/8 drill and clecos, then a 10-32 drill tap and then SS pan head screws to make panels removable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREENLEE-DRI...cAAOSwxH1T62lk
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine being an S it was a must to have as much as possible removable. I used 10-32 alu rivnuts with SS 10-32 bolts.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Mine being an S it was a must to have as much as possible removable. I used 10-32 alu rivnuts with SS 10-32 bolts.
    Frank,
    you are really mixing you metals. steel frame-alum revnuts-stainless steel screws-alum. panels. You should read up on galvanic corrosion.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, good thing bringing to attention. Too late for me as I have hundreds of rivnuts on the car and hundreds of bolts I paid for but I checked the web to see if I did something really bad and although it's not as good as steel-steel-steel, I think I'm not too bad. Alu and steel are very close on the corrosion chart, FFR uses alu rivets so why not alu rivnuts. Then I'm using black oxide STEEL bolts, thought they were SS but aren't. And I'm using copper anti-seize on the threads which helps on corrosion if what I read about that is true. I do have some zinc bolts on alu rivnuts and 18-8 SS bolts on same rivnuts, I'll check on those closely but they are rare. According to what I read, dissimilar metals need a corrosive environment to corrode. Since I'm not driving in salt or water and the car is always in a dry garage, that should also minimize corrosion. I guess I'll keep an eye on my bolts and inspect every year.

Good stuff to remember, tnx for pointing out.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that the original engineering includes the strength of each panel in shear. When glued and riveted any load would be spread evenly and the panel held in place to prevent any buckling. Personally I doubt the difference is enough to worry about but it would be good to hear that from a qualified expert involved with the original computer modeling.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a lot of things removable for easy access later, but the floor panels are all riveted except the angled piece (which not everyone seems to have) between the front floor and battery area floor. Everything is pretty reachable from the top so I saw no reason to make those removable.

Larry