BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AWD's New build... lots of questions....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok cool thanks guys.... I'll forge on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea what I am doing... But I am going for it!!!!!

Prob used to much high strength body filler.. I mixed some and it started to get hard fast.. well live and learn... so I spread as much as I could, filler in the areas that I could... Over filled parts, with bigger "gobs" in some places... But I can sand those down, just adds more work...

I got better here!! =)

Post Thanks / Like
    ok ok ok! moving on up!

So I got a a lot of time to work on everything this weekend. Some tips i have been picking up
    -DA it with 120.
    -using a DA, keep it moving, I have done a lot of wood sanding with a DA so I am familiar with it. Keep it moving and dont press to hard with it. I also wouldnt go be low 120 with it.
    -When blocking, hit everything from all different angles. I bought a 7 piece block set, and I have used every piece.-
    -HSFR is a ***** to block out!!!
    -rage gold blocks out so nice, but it dusty as ****! I did the first round in the garage... MISTAKE!!!!! haha, I did the second/third round of rage in the driveway.
    -when mixing the rage, I ended up mixing a smaller amount, working it and then mixing more. I also mixed it hot.
    -However when it started to setup, and was getting hard to spread, I trashed it. Just because I am new to this, and complicating things with hard to spread rage was not my idea of fun.
    So far I am happy with how everything looks... I have taken my time, and I am starting to like this... Not enough to do full time, but enough for me to say, I did everything on this car! Anyways here are some pictures.

Sanding the HSFR

Rage on the rear

blocked the body out to 120 also

More rear work

front getting blocked out

Post Thanks / Like
    After everything today. I am happy to keep moving on.

front

My neighbor is retired, and would prob kill me if he saw this.... ha but he likes to help out with anything that my gf and I are doing. He is into cars, and is restoring a 1939 ford. He has never done body work, so he wanted to give it a go, and he did a good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend you replace the balljoint boots with some polyurethane ones. Those Mev-O-Tec balljoint boots normally split pretty quick.

Grease the snot out of all the suspension bushings during assembly. OK, too late, but not really. Body still isn't on yet.

Zip ties on the spring hats to the springs

What is the frame number?

Where are you located? Check with your state registration and inspection requirements before selling everything.
    ~ Bruce
    MK4 #8189
    400hp 351w, TKO600, 3.27 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Right on man, I hadn't heard about the boots splitting Thanks. Everything is greased until it comes out the side and all hole possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    AWD-

Everything is looking good. I am going to tackle the bodywork myself as well, and I have read all the bodywork threads, and will read them all again! They really are excellent, and full of great tips and advice!

Despite the crazy amount of work, I think that in the end, it will be very rewarding. At least, I hope so!

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    engine comes thursday from forte.... I got a 351w strokes to 427w with a tko600... somewhere around 450hp and almost 500torq. I have been working on body at night. and I am pretty much ready for slick sand painting. I still need to button up some small pieces on the rear and put the aluminum in, but that will only take about an hour or so. All those damn holes are already drilled!

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of pictures today...
    bought a new engine crane. Harbor freight! it was on sale and then with my inside track club member ship it was even more cheaper! I ended up paying about 150 for the 2 ton crane.

Got brave and decided to cut the hole in the hood.... Measure once cut twice right??? maybe it is measure twice cut once? I dont remember, oh well, where is my beer!

dropped hsfr in the hood gaps, and all around the cut! Mixed it hot, and let it cook!

So in my brave mood, I was cutting the hood. I didn't have a saw horse or any extra place to lay the hood while I cut it! So I decide to do it on the body buck, and be real careful about it. I didnt want to over penetrate the hood and hit the body of the car... I did both long sides of the cuts, and the front cut. All came out great! Then I went to make the back cut. I got confident and stopped paying attention. Doah! I ended up cutting the back ledge of the car. Didnt notice it until I was cleaning up.... Son of a *****! Time to clean it and break out the hsfr! fixed that mistake right up!

Blocked out the rest of the body! All groves, holes and the hood...

Ive been having to travel during the day for work. Saw a delorean the other day. Even had the flux capacitor in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my engine from Forte. It is actually in my garage now, and getting ready to be put in.... but it sounds nasty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCqJfvTyY5Y

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have been forging on little by little.... engine is in the car. bolted down! headers are bolted on. I went with the Gas'n headers. I like the quality of the headers finish and all. Nice Stanless steal. To get them to fit I had to drill out a couple of the holes to a 1/2 inch hole. ate up two expensive drill bits, but they now fit and are snug in place. I do have another issue with the headers. I number four port on the driver side, I cant put both bolts in. the one bolt on the inside wont fit, the piping is in the way.
    Hard to see but here is a picture

fit and finish

My drive shaft is a little long, I think?!??!?!?!?! I dont know if it should go into the transmission somemore, or if they sent me the wrong one. From other threads it looks like the right one. I have a tko600 with a 351w block.

the engine went in super smooth! I did it by myself in 45 min. The only problem was the one that I posted about not being able to get the driver side mount into the holes. That issues was resolved by putting a bar between the block and the mount on the passanger side and stepping on it. and then moving the bar to the driver side, and repeating the step!

there she is... a 351w stroked out to a 427!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to try to fit it into the frozen jeep power wheel, but I got a stink eye from my daughter!! ha

Post Thanks / Like
    Motor looks great in there!
    FFR sent me the wrong drive shaft initially so that is certainly possible.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, yea I looked at your thread since I knew you had a tko600 and the IRS setup. I'll have to call them today and see what tech says. I was hoping to get it all buttoned up this weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    started on the dash. I am trying the carbon fiber over lay.... so far it is looking nice. I first cut and drilled some of the holes i needed. Next i sanded down the jagged edges sand made everything smooth. laid the carbon fiber out on a table that I made (i made a red oak japanese table, 18 inches off the ground. it is beautiful) cleaned the dash, dried it off, and laid it down on the carbon fiber roll. Pushed it all out with a body filler spreader. I then left it alone for a week and a half. I cut the back side and rolled all the edges... Once that was done i started to fill in gauges...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Carbon Fiber looks great ...
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Still working on the wiring... I am sorting through it, with the help of a lot of people on here... So thanks for that!
    Finishing up the radiator install

I put rivets in the breeze shroud, and then attached the fan..

Shroud to radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Coil wire says it goes to the negative side of the coil.... I have seen some people with it going to the positive side???

Underside of the trunk where the batter cut off is.

Battery cut off and battery ground wire bolt

Starter wire up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    Coil wire says it goes to the negative side of the coil.... I have seen some people with it going to the positive side???
    The orange wire labled "Coil" goes to the + side. Purple wire labeled "Coil-tach" goes to the - side.

Looking at your "T" filler and cap... I really suggest that you reconfigure it so that the cap is at the highest point of the system like I show in this one:

You'll have a bear of a time getting it filled and bled where you currently have yours.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots going on here..... LOTS!!!
    Got my wiring figured out. Thanks for all who helped... I still have some issues to address... The water temp gauge wire, is wired wrong on the plastic piece side... So i had to cut off the connector and put on my own connector... not a big deal, but time consuming tracing the problem, and fixing it.

I got it fired up for the first time on sat..... That video is coming.... Super excited there.. it is so load, but sounds so good... I took it around the block after I worked out some of the issues I had.. Very small ones... It runs great..

I need to upload more pictures.. but you get the gist of it =)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yee Haw! Congratulations!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    First scaring the kids first start video I have seen.....love it! Congrats!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a video when we are getting ready to start and the little boy goes running out of the garage and down the driveway... Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working on some issues. My fuel line developed a little leak at one of the joints... Some how the line became loose.... So I went back and used a better fuel line sealant and redid all the line fittings.... Attempted to set the alignment, at least best I could, so i can go cart it just a little bit.. And then there was the clutch cable issue... which is outlined below...

This is what I came up with... I tried to arrange all the plates and could not get the cable to line up right. I used 22g steal, cut the hole for the firewall cable adjuster(which I ordered off amazon just for this idea) and then trimmed everything up for the other plates.. Once I got everything lined up, I traced the plate onto the steal again. I double up the 22g steal plate just so it was more rigid. I didnt know how much pressure was going to be applied to the plate and if it would hold up over time. Better safe then have to redo it again in a year! Anyways it is not painted for completely trimmed out in the pictures below... But you get the idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped posting cause of the photobucket issue, and I havent had time to sit and figure out a work around... So here we are... Back at it again.... I am winding the bases on this build.... I spent a lot of time sanding, applying rage, sanding, applying more rage, sanding more, applying more rage.... Taking a beer break...... 3 gallons of slick sand... Guess what, more sanding.. MOre beer... Applying a 2k build primer.... MOre beer..... more sanding. applying a 2k primer, more sanding and wet sanding.... washing is all down... letting it sit for a good week.... bought the sealer, paint and clear coat..... read a lot, and watched a lot of videos.... Big shout out to miller and klein, those guys really helped with a lot of knowledge and details. Please follow this thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...sonx2-Bodywork I was following along when he was painting.... I was right behind him... My car has now been sitting for almost 3 weeks with the clear coat on... I just need to find time to cut and buff it...

Anyways here are some pictures
    IMG_20170711_072836

IMG_20170722_152202
    IMG_20170722_152205

IMG_20170722_193954

a little run
    IMG_20170805_154606
    IMG_20170819_161747
    Last edited by awd-turbo; 09-05-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    First coat... the color is supposed to be subaru dark gray metallic... But when they mixed it, they mixed it a little darker for better coverage....
    IMG_20170820_082931

couple of coats in
    IMG_20170820_082949

I did 4 coats all together..
    IMG_20170820_085701

let that flash... tac rag it.... and went to town on 4 coats of clear...
    IMG_20170820_120959

IMG_20170820_193952

IMG_20170821_065551

it looks black outside..... it is to dark, I think, but I will live with it.....
    IMG_20170821_182803

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too dark at all. Looks great, good job.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it is too dark. That looks awesome. Man, just fantastic. It looks like you had better luck with the clear than I did. Have you painted before? If not, I am really impressed.

I really do like that color. The second to last picture seems to have almost a pearl like look. Kind of like it changes from dark gray to almost black depending on the light. The metallic flake also gives it a nice pop. I wish my paint had more metallic like yours. Great job.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. Nice work.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking color!

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome, especially for a garage painted car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobinsonx2 View Post
    I don't think it is too dark. That looks awesome. Man, just fantastic. It looks like you had better luck with the clear than I did. Have you painted before? If not, I am really impressed.

I really do like that color. The second to last picture seems to have almost a pearl like look. Kind of like it changes from dark gray to almost black depending on the light. The metallic flake also gives it a nice pop. I wish my paint had more metallic like yours. Great job.
    Thanks man... Yea I have not painted ever before... hahah. I watched a lot of kevin Tetz video's on you tube. The clear came out awesome... I only have one place that is a sag.... and one little one on the rear... I honestly thought that the front is where my run would be...

Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I like it. Nice work.
    Thanks boyd

Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Great looking color!
    Thanks man... I was trying not to copy your style to much hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by BTHWarrior View Post
    That looks awesome, especially for a garage painted car.
    thanks... I actually took my time, listened to what miller and kleiner had to say... I was expecting more dust in the paint, but I cleaned the garage before hand, started spraying at 430am... and I used a inline water/filter separator at the compressor, and inline water separator "ball" at the gun along with the devilbiss snake. That all helped big time... Since I was shooting a metallic paint... I researched how to paint with it.... From stirring the paint, to shaking it up as you paint to keep it all moving, to laying the last coat in one direction/laying it on while it is still "wet".... Thats what I found when I searched for everything... it was a lot of hard work.... and I still havent wet sanded it yet.... But it is mine.... and I ****ing love it!!!! haha

Post Thanks / Like
    looks great

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks fantastic. Question. At what point did you remove the body from the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good to me. Are you going to put stripes on it?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alv69 View Post
    looks great
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    That looks fantastic. Question. At what point did you remove the body from the car?
    Honestly, i removed it after I lined up the doors. I drilled the holes for the hood handles while it was all off... The only time the body was on the car was when the doors needed to be lined up... outside that, I did everything on the body buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Looks good to me. Are you going to put stripes on it?
    No, I was going to drop black stripes, but I decided against it at the last min..... A) i want matte black stripes. Only way to do that is to put them on after the clear coat, from my understanding. b) I thought it was way above my pay grade at the time... But after i have finished this, I would def try it in the future on the next build...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast