Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 818X - A new exotic "coach build" of the 818

Post Thanks / Like

Cool The 818X - A new exotic "coach build" of the 818

Hi everyone,

First a quick introduction. My name is Tim Neil and I live near Toronto, Canada and I'm embarking on a new adventure of trying to create a "coach build" of the 818 which will be known as the 818X (X for exotic)

If you are wondering what a coach build is, it’s basically using the chassis/components/monocoque from an existing production vehicle that has removable body panels as a platform and then creating your own body design on top.

I'm no stranger to the modified car world nor the kit car world. The vehicle that I will be using as the donor car is my 2002 Subaru WRX that has too many modifications to list and I've been an active member of NASIOC for years and years. Here's a link to a couple of shots of the donor.

I've also built a 1989 Batmobile in my own 2 car garage that I recently sold about a year ago. That was the opposite process where I had the body shell and then had to build a complete vehicle underneath it fully functional with automatic gun doors, disc throwers, power hatch, screen accurate interior and afterburner. A Throttle quadrant from a WWII navy bomber was used as the gear selector just like the movie car!

I'm working with a local designer with whom I've done a few projects with in the past to see if we can re-skin the 818 while trying to reuse as many components as possible. Right now we are on the 3rd revision of draft sketches to get the design language and general shapes we are looking for. We're now working on a 4th revision which I should have some updates for soon, and then we'll be moving to the 2D rendering phase. Initial details can be found on my blog but I'll also share some top level details here.

For the front we are going with the bumper and headlight design of “C”. This design will provide air flow under the license plate area and up through the 45 degree radiator and finally out through the hood vent. Additional air will also come through the side openings of the bumper. The headlights will reuse the components from the 818C and we are looking at also adding some LED strips to the front bumper.

For the rear we are working with the design of “D”. This will be a fixed wing and will likely use the tail lights from a Lincoln MKC for a modern LED look. The central exhaust may have to change depending on clearance from the transmission, but the goal is to likely have the area between the tail lights and the bottom diffuser be a mesh similar to a Lamborghini Gallardo.

The side profile of the car will be very similar to the design of “F”. We are going for a fairly sculpted angular look that will provide upper side air inlets to help provide airflow to the intercooler in the engine compartment. Similar to that of a Lamborghini Murcielago or the new Acura NSX.

We will also be looking to widen the car by about 2 inches per side compared to the concept drawings to give a wide low look with a narrow cockpit. A hopeful stretch goal will be to see if we can somehow reuse a modified 818C roof/hatch structure which makes windshields and door/hatch glass much easier since no re-engineering would be required.

This is just the start of the journey, but like all my car projects, I always enjoy sharing the highs and lows along the way

Post Thanks / Like
    This look like a very interesting project. Can't wait to watch.
    Does it make sense to take apart your show car and use it as a donor? Most of us are using 2 to 5k WRX salvage cars to save money.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, very ambitious. Can't wait to see you get started! Do you have your kit yet?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    This look like a very interesting project. Can't wait to watch.
    Does it make sense to take apart your show car and use it as a donor? Most of us are using 2 to 5k WRX salvage cars to save money.
    Bob
    I've had my WRX since 2004... it's time for a change and I can recoup my investment in the car... leather seats, center console (fabricated into the 818), cooling systems, engine work, fuel pump, axles, transmission etc.. There's thousands upon thousands of dollars spent on the car (forged internals, JDM 6-speed, etc) that I want to continue to use

I'll be parting out the remaining items from the car like the 9-piece widebody, wheels, EDM headlights.. bla.. bla.. bla..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Wow, very ambitious. Can't wait to see you get started! Do you have your kit yet?
    I don't have the kit yet. When we get to the 3D modeling phase we'll be looking to see if it is at that point that I need to have the kit here with me, or if we will simply 3D scan an existing 818C and chassis. My friend runs a company that does full automotive 3D scanning/modeling and design. So we'll just need that first set of data and body/chassis connection points to create the CAD models. Who knows, maybe Factory Five will help us out with that respect for access to a chassis/body.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, sometimes I feel like my 818 is uber-customized but this really puts it into perspective. Good luck with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mathew designed the livery for my car. You're in good hands.

Fact5-8181.jpg
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    Mathew designed the livery for my car. You're in good hands.

Fact5-8181.jpg
    Yes, a very multi-talented individual with a lot of cool toys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Wow, sometimes I feel like my 818 is uber-customized but this really puts it into perspective. Good luck with your build.
    Thanks! Yes the component nature of the Factory Five chassis and body separation gives you full creative license.. Basically your only constraints are cabin position and wheelbase

Post Thanks / Like
    Will you be planning anything other than conventional operating doors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Will you be planning anything other than conventional operating doors?
    Current plan is to use the exact same door frame and mechanical pieces that come with the kit.. but re-skinning the doors to fit the new body shell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Welcome! And don't leave.

Looking at your batmobile pic, seeing how small the white car is, is has to be very far, that garage ain't no 2-car garage, but something like a Jay Leno's garage. lolll

What do you have in mind for the interior? Of the 818.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Awesome! Welcome! And don't leave.

Looking at your batmobile pic, seeing how small the white car is, is has to be very far, that garage ain't no 2-car garage, but something like a Jay Leno's garage. lolll

What do you have in mind for the interior? Of the 818.
    The Batmobile was just under 8ft wide and was 20ft from the tip of the nose to the tip of the rear wings. You'll see from my garage tour how I hoisted up the front of the car in order to get it to fit in the garage

For the interior I'll be reusing my leather seats and will be transplanting the center console of my WRX (2005 console swap) into the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very ambitious project. I'm excited to see the progress. The custom center console in the WRX looks great. The whole dash and console fit surprisingly well with the chassis. See my build thread if you haven't already.

I've always thought it would be awesome if someone designed a very progressive whole new body. Take the main mounting points of the chassis, wheel locations, interior bits, etc. and bring them into CAD. Overlay the custom design and adapt to make things fit together. Then take the completed body design and have it CNC carved from foam. Create molds from the foam parts, and off to the races with custom body panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    Very ambitious project. I'm excited to see the progress. The custom center console in the WRX looks great. The whole dash and console fit surprisingly well with the chassis. See my build thread if you haven't already.

I've always thought it would be awesome if someone designed a very progressive whole new body. Take the main mounting points of the chassis, wheel locations, interior bits, etc. and bring them into CAD. Overlay the custom design and adapt to make things fit together. Then take the completed body design and have it CNC carved from foam. Create molds from the foam parts, and off to the races with custom body panels.
    That's essentially the process that we're going through

I just checked out your build and you're right.. the WRX/STI dash does fit really well! Maybe I'll have to steal your idea and create the new door shape to use the BRZ/FRS door panel without modification.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!, looking forward to watching and thanks in advance to posting and sharing as you go.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I am fairly certain that if the little lad pictured in my avatar were to see that Batmobile in real life his head might literally explode...very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by svanlare View Post
    WOW!, looking forward to watching and thanks in advance to posting and sharing as you go.
    Thanks, this should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mistasherm View Post
    Welcome! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I am fairly certain that if the little lad pictured in my avatar were to see that Batmobile in real life his head might literally explode...very cool.
    Yeah, we always had great reactions with the kids when we brought the Batmobile out.. especially when the 30Cals with ammo draping out the side came up and out of the hood

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, I used to read your threads on NASIOC - good luck with the project. I always liked your flat black WRX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post
    Hah, I used to read your threads on NASIOC - good luck with the project. I always liked your flat black WRX.
    Cool! Thanks!

Well now that WRX will transform into an 818

Post Thanks / Like
    If you need any help I am down in London and just finished my 818, I am a mechanic by trade and can do fiberglass and welding and fabrication. you can check my build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    If you need any help I am down in London and just finished my 818, I am a mechanic by trade and can do fiberglass and welding and fabrication. you can check my build.
    Awesome! It would be great to check out a local build or even sync up with you on the import/delivery process. I know bringing the Batmobile kit over the border was a bit of a ***** so any advice would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh niiiiiiiice! Is it your intention to be reproducing it for others or just a mean custom machine?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    Oh niiiiiiiice! Is it your intention to be reproducing it for others or just a mean custom machine?
    Right now the focus is on trying to make it possible. Who knows where it will go from there. Step one is coming up with a design that I love enough to make the next 1000 steps worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    Was that your Batmobile that I saw going up and down Hwy 10 several times, a few years back? I've started building a 'C' in the last six months, that I picked up from FFR. I can share some stories about bringing it over the border.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE FURNACE View Post
    Was that your Batmobile that I saw going up and down Hwy 10 several times, a few years back? I've started building a 'C' in the last six months, that I picked up from FFR. I can share some stories about bringing it over the border.
    No that wasn't mine.. that was the "Brampton Batman's" car. It would be great if you could shoot me over a Private Message with any advice on bringing the 818 into Canada

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see the latest revision of the 818X sketches are ready to roll. These have the changes that I mentioned in the previous blog article. We now have some wider top side vents to really funnel in air for the intercooler along with the additional air flow from the roof scoop of the existing 818C.

We made a few changes on the tail lights and gave the front a more aggressive look. The next phase will be taking these drawings and producing 2D rendered digital art for the front quarter view, side view and rear quarter.

These 2D renderings will then also go through a series of tweaks as we start to see what things look like as they move from sketches into something more life like.

Post Thanks / Like
    The latest version of the design looks incredible!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    The latest version of the design looks incredible!
    It's coming along nicely! A nice aggressive look with clean lines that isn't over the top crazy. The 2D renders will really start to bring it to life

Post Thanks / Like
    You aren't the only one building a completely new body. There's one here in San Diego too. Although he's using metal, anyone taking on this challenge has my respect.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...hard-way/page9
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! I'll check out the build

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone,

It's been a while but we're still working away at the project. Today I have some rendering updates. These are the first revisions of 2D renders that will help us better see the car in a more 3D space.

First are a side view and a front quarter view:

From here we'll want to make some adjustments. First out of the gate are adjusting the "blobby" nature of the initial renders. We want to make the lines more streamlined and cleaner. We also need to create more of a belt line along the sides of the car (lime green arrow) to make the muscles a little bit more tense.

Where the violet zig-zags are is an important part of the car that we'll need to further develop to make sure it is nice and tense as well (think of a relaxed muscle vs a flexed one)

Below is a revised variation with a few more tweaks. We'll be continuing to revise and work our way to something exciting. And yes, those are air scoops at the quarter windows to help get some air flowing to the intercooler

Post Thanks / Like
    The initial sketches looked like the new NSX, very sexy.. the latest pictures reminded me more of a customized BRZ.

Good luck with the project! I did something similar using chicken wire and foam once.. but never got to the final stage with that. Doing it in software first is the way to go
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    The initial sketches looked like the new NSX, very sexy.. the latest pictures reminded me more of a customized BRZ.

Good luck with the project! I did something similar using chicken wire and foam once.. but never got to the final stage with that. Doing it in software first is the way to go
    Yup, that is exactly what I was trying to get at when mentioning that we need to work on the "blobby" nature of the 2D renders. The lines need to tighten up to be more like the sketches to give more of a muscular/angular look

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have not seen it, check out the Yamaha Sport Ride concept car. Gordon Murray (McLaren F1 fame) had a hand in its design. This blog has some info and also a concept sketch that I think looks real nice. You might like it too.

http://kp-gasket.blogspot.com/2015/1...sport-car.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that first side profile picture. Makes the car look more aggressive and flowing and less bubbly.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to make copies and sell that body kit?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Are you going to make copies and sell that body kit?
    That's thinking way too far ahead for me LOL.. right now the focus is on design... Then the modeling... Then trying to make it work.. then think about next steps

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries, I was wondering what your vision was. Sometimes people wake up in the morning and say "hey, I want to market a design". But they have no idea what that design is, they just know they want to sell it. The goal is different but the current steps you're in are the same. Which is why I wanted to clarify.

Either way, the current design looks great! I only like less those diagonals bars in the nose. But I'd take the entire kit any time if it was a roadster. Sorry my vision for my build is a roadster.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Figured out what looked familiar of that side view. It's reminiscent of a Lexus LFA minus that weird side window scoop.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast