Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 818X - A new exotic "coach build" of the 818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Figured out what looked familiar of that side view. It's reminiscent of a Lexus LFA minus that weird side window scoop.
    I can see that... Also a bit of the new Alfa. With the positioning of the cabin in respect to the wheelbase we couldn't really do a pushed forward cabin design of some supercars.. so we are looking for more coupe mid engine designs to draw inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Project update!!

We now have a revised version of the 2D renders that is really starting to shape up and creating more visual appeal to the car. Less "relaxed" and more "flexed" appearance

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice!
    Except for the mirrors, but that's just a small portion.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    The latest 818X renders are available. In these versions there have been continued refinements of the front end and side features. The side air scoops have been reshaped to be less harsh and further blended in the boomerang/slingshot side accents.

The front end has also been reshaped along the bottom half creating a more organic styling allowing for some nice aerodynamic accents that could be painted a different color or carbon fiber.

Side renders have also been updated to raise the nose of the car to better match the new front end modifications as well as updated fender lines to blend into the boomerang side shapes.

Next will be some more refinements and the first revisions of the rear view of the car

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic, muscular look. Like the much wider rear fenders for bigger rubber. Look forward to your new renderings.
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastzrex View Post
    Fantastic, muscular look. Like the much wider rear fenders for bigger rubber. Look forward to your new renderings.
    Yeah, definitely wanted to give it some "hips"

Post Thanks / Like
    Giddy-up!! The latest renderings of the rear of the 818X are now available. There have been a few different treatments done to the rear of the car to see what best fits. Below you’ll find a bit of the reasoning behind some of the renders and differences between them. From my perspective I always wanted something that is a bit crazy, so of course I lean more towards the crazy renders than the subtle ones.

First up is the render that is most like the original concept sketches v4.0. After putting into color, the back felt a little heavy and chunky. So some time was spent to explore some other design routes that would help make it appear more lightweight.

In 4.01 side “spat” in carbon or black were added (just behind the rear wheel, lower area) to reduce the amount of body color.

In 4.02 the entire rear diffuser area was raised, so we see more of carbon/black, as opposed to the body color (whatever that may end up being). Diffuser, fin, canards, are nice ways to make the car look lighter (while being aerodynamically useful).

4.03 and 4.04 are more radical approaches, they look a bit more mechanical and less fluid than the others, but I think that direction looks best.

I personally like 4.03 as a pretty radical looking back end, and also a lot of space to vent out air and heat from the mid engine layout. Next will be figuring out where to go from here. I’ll keep you posted on further updates as we have more information to share.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like 4.02 best myself. I makes the car look lower and thinner (at least from that angle) without diminishing its true width. For me the last two are too busy. But I do like what you have done with the total concept!
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastzrex View Post
    I like 4.02 best myself. I makes the car look lower and thinner (at least from that angle) without diminishing its true width. For me the last two are too busy. But I do like what you have done with the total concept!
    Yeah, I'm on the fence... I keep going back between wild and mild... In the end the chosen design will have to match the overall theme of the car and not look out of place

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want crazy/exotic I would get rid of the entire "black out" section behind the wheel like the current crop of GT3/GTE spec cars.

6fe2c1018580c2a484e3daa29954ea5d.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    They all look great, 4.02 will probably have the widest appeal. You could make it more radical by opening up the bumper area above the diffuser with a mesh look, giving it more air flow like 4.03 and 4.04.

Post Thanks / Like
    4.02 with the 3rd brake light of 4.01 (required here in case some day you decide to take orders and sell the body panels).

You might want to add in some rear air ducts and hot air openings cuz it may change the final look.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    All good suggestions...

Definitely 4.02 could have the whole area behind the license plate be mesh like 4.03 & 4.04 to provide air flow, and the brake light position from 4.0 could be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    4.02 is the only one I would consider. The others reminded me of the latest Mustangs, and the last two I thought were way too busy, especially the multi-faceted brake light lenses.....nice drawings though!

While I am critiquing, and with all due respect and appreciation for the skill involved in conceiving and drawing these, I am not a fan of the current lines down the sides, and think something is lost in the transition from door to fender. Something doesnt flow, but cant verbally articulate it very well. I try to glance very quickly at these images and see what my initial impression is.....as if it just passed me on the street.

Keep 'em coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just stumbled across this project, is it still going?

Post Thanks / Like
    First time I’ve seen it also. Wonder what his progress is by now.

Post Thanks / Like
    To my knowledge he never bought a kit, just worked on the design in plans of it. My guess is it went nowhere, been a few of these re-body threads that died off. I looked at all of them before i started my extensive body modifications WHICH I HOPE TO GET BACK TO this weekend, before my project joins the list of dead ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    He probably came to the conclusion that there are too many deficiencies in the ffr design. After all, if you can make a body, you probably have the skills to build your own chassis. I do like the direction he was headed.
    Funny thing is that I did not see anyone else’s body attempts before modifying my body. I tried to stay true to the overall design following the adage that form follows function.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12