Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do You Cut Bolts?

Post Thanks / Like

Do You Cut Bolts?

For the guys who cut down their bolts, deburring the threads has always been a pain. Here is a new tool that looks promising. Not cheap, but looks perfect for cleaning up the end of a cut bolt.

http://shop.uniburr.com/products/uniburr-plus-1816
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking tool Mike. Here's an old machinist trick from a very old machinist. Threads are cut at a 30-degree angle (60-deg inclusive) so any bolt or cap screw you can hold in your hand is easy to de-bur on a belt sander by simply holding the threaded end down at a 30-deg angle to the sander while turning it. Been doing this for decades and it works great. Admittedly the smaller fasteners like 10-32 can be difficult to hold but not impossible. But I do think the tool Mike found is cool looking and if you're having trouble with de-buring fasteners give it a shot. On the other hand, you now have a less expensive trick you can try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I do the same. In fact, I have a belt sander permanently mounted to my bench for exactly that. I like the idea of how this tool actually cuts the material with no burr.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!