Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ontario VIN registration process questions

Post Thanks / Like

Ontario VIN registration process questions

OK - I have a question on registering a new VIN with the ministry, can this be done before car completion?

Here's the issue -
    I can’t insure the parts or chassis for fire and theft under house insurance (according to my home insurance rep) it has to be in a vehicle policy - but that means it has to have a VIN. It’s a strange grey area. ALSO, I want to incorporate the VIN number stamping in the build process and make sure it appears on the engine, the chassis etc. At this point the car is a rolling chassis with engine and trans etc, but has a long way to go to be considered DONE.

The steps as they sit in my head (let me know if I'm close here based on you experience)

1) Register for the VIN through the ministry with the affidavit and label the car “unfit” as it has no safety and cannot be plated (that’s how my track car is registered)
    2) Insure the mostly done chassis through an auto policy for fire and theft so I can sleep at night.
    3) Once the car is completed I transport it for a safety inspection at our local certified mechanics
    4) With the safety certificate and registered VIN I can then get the car plated and insured for road use.
    5) ROAD TRIP TIME
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Those steps will work just fine. Your insurance company (and I recommend Zehr insurance) will probably require an appraisal in order to insure the car. You will basically have to have an interim appraisal done so that you are covered for transporting your car around, then a final done when it's complete. Most appraisers do not charge much for the final after the interim has been completed by them.

Use this guy for insurance. He's great to deal with.

Perry Triemstra
    Zehr Insurance Brokers Ltd.
    24 Hope St. West, Box 430
    Tavistock, Ontario
    Phone 519-655-2422
    Fax 519-655-2343
    [email protected]
    Last edited by valin; 02-04-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Jonas.

Sadly, Perry from Zehr's passed away in January of 2017, but if you call the office somebody else can help you. I spoke with Perry a few times and he seemed to be a great guy and knew his stuff.

You'll also need to make sure that your vehicle meets the Federal Safety Standards for Light Vehicles for the year of manufacture (stability control appears to be the main stumbling block, DRL, windshield wipers and defrosters). SRS and ABS is not required.

Best regards,

Jonathan
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC Build started January 2018
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)