OK - I have a question on registering a new VIN with the ministry, can this be done before car completion?

Here's the issue -
I can’t insure the parts or chassis for fire and theft under house insurance (according to my home insurance rep) it has to be in a vehicle policy - but that means it has to have a VIN. It’s a strange grey area. ALSO, I want to incorporate the VIN number stamping in the build process and make sure it appears on the engine, the chassis etc. At this point the car is a rolling chassis with engine and trans etc, but has a long way to go to be considered DONE.

The steps as they sit in my head (let me know if I'm close here based on you experience)

1) Register for the VIN through the ministry with the affidavit and label the car “unfit” as it has no safety and cannot be plated (that’s how my track car is registered)
2) Insure the mostly done chassis through an auto policy for fire and theft so I can sleep at night.
3) Once the car is completed I transport it for a safety inspection at our local certified mechanics
4) With the safety certificate and registered VIN I can then get the car plated and insured for road use.
5) ROAD TRIP TIME