Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by bigger; 06-15-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I run a little antifreeze but will be switching to a product somewhat like water-wetter.... one that provides corrosion resistance and lubrication. There are a lot of products on the market for that.

As for the pump, it doesn't really matter since the water from the AWIC won't be very hot. I would locate the pump in the lowest spot in the system. I have mine right by the battery.

I have mine plumbed so warm water enters the top and flows to the bottom. I am running a degas tank so I fill from there. My degas tank is in the engine compartment near the intercooler, and is the highest point in the system.

I run a dual-zone air temp gauge that shows pre and post temps. If I see high post temps, I know the pump failed. No alarm or anything though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running orange dexcool. (plain water would freeze here)

I also have my pump on the hot side and agree with Hindsight on the location. I have both hose down the right side of the car. My pump is near the right trailing arm mount.

I have my inlet to the bottom of my heat exchanger and out the top. My logic is to force any air out of the top of the heat exchanger back to the awic intercooler.

I am running a non pressurized system with a 1 quart degas tank on the awic intercooler.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-25-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Redline water wetter. Closed system with a recovery tank (wouldn't call it pressurized). I measure air temp after the intercooler. I get ambient +10F air temp after the intercooler. That included a track day at 104F. Probably driving 7/10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigger View Post
    This is all very helpful! How would I implement the degas system?
    If you look at my picture above, there are 2 small blue hoses coming out of the intercooler.
    My vented degas tank is mounted in the hump, about 10 inches higher than the intercooler.

The bottom of the degas tank goes to the bottom of the intercooler. This hose uses to gravity feed the system.
    The top hose on the intercooler bring any air back to the top of the degas tank.

After running the system for a few minutes all the air is out of the awic system.
    After each 1 hour (75 miles) of track day running:
    1. We inspect the coolant level in the awic degas tank.
    2. inspect coolant level in the enging cooling overflow tank.
    3. check oil level in the dry sump tank.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same as Bob, mostly, for my bleeder and degas. Check my build thread. Tons of pics showing how I did it.

You might consider running the hoses down the center console instead of down the side sails. There will be less heat in the center console. Also, consider wrapping the return (cool) hose with foam pipe insulation and wrapping all hoses in hot areas like engine compartment or radiator area with reflective heat sleeving.