BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wheels and tires for IRS

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels and tires for IRS

33 with IRS any one, what tires and wheels are you using? With full fenders!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is their any one with IRS 33 With full fenders that has wheels and tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tire clearance in fenders? Mainly tire travel up?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should also be asking if the wheels are centered in the rear fenders on the IRS. They're not with the solid axle version which limits tire size even more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    You should also be asking if the wheels are centered in the rear fenders on the IRS. They're not with the solid axle version which limits tire size even more.
    They moved the wheel back 1/2" with the new IRS so while it's still not centered it's not as obvious or limiting as the live axle versions.
    DB

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dale. Now I trying to figure out how I can fit 33" diameter tires under my rear fender wells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like 28 will work. Ten inch soft lip wheel, 5 or 5.5 back space-- with 285/40x19 tire, sec-11.4 tread-11.2 diam-28. Michelin super pilot sport
    265/35x19 on 9 inch soft lip wheel , same tire sec-10.7 tread-10.1 diam-26.3
    Last edited by 1932; 01-28-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Thanks Dale. Now I trying to figure out how I can fit 33" diameter tires under my rear fender wells.
    Not going to happen unless you cast some new fenders. I spent a lot of time trying to set mine up for a 30" tire and it was a no go. 29" is the absolute max with fenders.
    The fender is based on a 32" dia and that part isn't even pointing straight up. The true arc part is from about 11-3 o clock on the pass side for example so
    IF you rotate that fender CCW enough to put the true arc straight up you have to stretch the front side down about 4" to get it back down to the running board.
    33's put the car really high in back unless you raise the live axle to compensate.
    The next issue then is driveshaft clearance to the battery tray, cure that then you see the upper links are really steep ruining your instant center, even the much longer
    lower links will be at a bad angle for forward bite and your anti dive and anti squat values will be bad as well. If you get very far from the design tire and ride height you will have a LOT of work to do.
    BTDT
    Dale
    Last edited by myjones; 01-28-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been talking with Dan Ruth recently about this subject. I wanted 18" wheels in front and 20" in the rear, running full fenders. Dan recommended 245/45 in the front and 305/35 in back as being the largest tires that would fit in the fenders and allow full suspension travel.

One issue that's holding me up is that I haven't assembled the rear end yet, so we can't calculate the backspacing on the rear wheels. Can anyone share the hub-to-hub dimension on the 2015 IRS as used on the Hot Rod?

Thanks,

Keith