Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coil Options

Post Thanks / Like

Coil Options

So... I remember reading somewhere on here that there are other coil options than the Konis (normal or optioned), where do I find said options? Has anyone looked into double-adjustable remote reservoir coils? I'm asking for a friend.....lol.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The known-options today are to use the red or yellow Koni's from FFR, and play with spring rates however you like because the springs are a common size and there are many brands that make them.

I was getting a set of external double adjustable Ohlins coil overs spec'd out for me but the bill was going to be over $5k. Penske would be another good option - not as good as Ohlins but a close second, and they'd be cheaper. If you go this route, you just need to provide your corner weights, motion ratio, and a few other things, to a racing suspension supply shop and they can spec some custom coilovers for you. If you go that route, let me know and I'll send you all the applicable data points they will need since I already measured it back when I was going to head down that road.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR has double adj KONIs too... I don't remember how much
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're looking at coil over options you must be building something other than a daily driver. Whatever you do about shocks, if you are truly interested in performance and want to change the springs go to a supplier that can calculate what you need. Most folks simply look at a spring's physical dimensions and spring rate and never consider a spring's natural frequency and how that interacts from front to rear. Choose wrong and you won't like the ride or the handling and will be forced to cover up problems with damping which can have a negative affect on traction. If you're good with math you can run your own calculations to choose springs. A typical passenger car runs around .5 to 1.5 Hz with a 10% to 20% higher frequency rear spring, a full bodied race car may run 1.5 to 2.0 Hz and run a bit higher frequency in front for better transient response at corner entry with way more damping than a passenger car. For a better understanding of this you can Google the Eibach Suspension Worksheet for the formulas needed to calculate spring rates and natural frequencies.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen mixed reviews on the Konis and honestly wanted to see what options others had seen/developed for coils and shocks.

Personally, I'm considering the double adjustable Koni's and custom Swift springs once the car is completed and weighed.
    Last edited by STimedic; 01-29-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the double-adjustable Koni's on my Roadster. Upgraded from the kit-supplied and very cheap Pro Shocks (not sure they're in business anymore). The Koni's were great on the street and track. I didn't play with adjustments very much - honestly all the adjustment was overkill for a guy with my experience level.

I'll be using the red Koni's supplied with the 818R kit. I haven't seen/heard of any complaints. It will probably be a while until I have the experience/ability to benefit from an upgrade. Bang-for-buck is extremely lopsided when it comes to shocks (i.e. - not much tangible benefit from all the $$$ you could spend).

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to be good enough to need the double adjustable shocks.