BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM part numbers/description in numerical order with box number

Post Thanks / Like

GTM part numbers/description in numerical order with box number

I have found it inefficient to find parts, what they are, and what box they are in with the info in the build manual. My Dad put together a list of all the GTM parts by their number in numerical order, what they are, and which box they are located in ( I assume FFR puts the same parts in the same boxes for each order but I guess yours could be different from mine). I tried to upload the file to the forum but I got a message that the 640KBs exceeds the forum limit of 200KBs for this file type. If you guys think this would be helpful info does anyone know how I could get this onto the forum site?

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1 View Post
    I have found it inefficient to find parts, what they are, and what box they are in with the info in the build manual. My Dad put together a list of all the GTM parts by their number in numerical order, what they are, and which box they are located in ( I assume FFR puts the same parts in the same boxes for each order but I guess yours could be different from mine). I tried to upload the file to the forum but I got a message that the 640KBs exceeds the forum limit of 200KBs for this file type. If you guys think this would be helpful info does anyone know how I could get this onto the forum site?

Keith
    If it's a csv file you can upload to google drive and create a share link. Google drive is free for anyone with a gmail account. FFR supplied my kit with a paper copy of what is in what box and the part numbers associated with it. If i had it in electronic format it would have been much easier to sort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Save it as a .zip file. It will be compressed and you should be able to upload it as an attachment. That's exactly what I did with a wiring spreadsheet in my current build thread. A number of forum members have downloaded it. The utility to manage .zip files is standard with Windows.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a PDF file. I tried converting it to a zip file but in only reduced it to 598 KB from 640. Thanks for the ideas though!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could break it up into sections and upload them individually. Use a PDF print driver and print a handful of pages at a time. Unless, of course, you have Acrobat (full version - not just the reader). Then you can save pages to new PDFs. The print driver route works fine too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blast3r0 View Post
    If it's a csv file you can upload to google drive and create a share link. Google drive is free for anyone with a gmail account. FFR supplied my kit with a paper copy of what is in what box and the part numbers associated with it. If i had it in electronic format it would have been much easier to sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Save it as a .zip file. It will be compressed and you should be able to upload it as an attachment. That's exactly what I did with a wiring spreadsheet in my current build thread. A number of forum members have downloaded it. The utility to manage .zip files is standard with Windows.
    Yea if it's a PDF it's not going to compress much. I'll bet if you zip the actual spreadsheet file it would be much smaller. Guys would find the spreadsheet file more useful anyway IMO. It can be edited, sorted, etc. If it's still too big or you want to use the PDF, then put it in an external hosting site and link to it. Like Google drive as suggested, Photobucket will store PDF's, etc. Or just offer it to anyone who sends their email to you via PM. I've done that too.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea, what I did was go through the manual and next to the listed part no. penciled in what box it is in. If you can get yours posted will also be useful.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not very tech savvy so I think I'll just split it into 4 sections in new posts so its as easy to access as possible. I hope its helpful!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just tried to upload one of the 4 sections and now it says the file is even larger than what I started with! (1.2 MB) I was "cut and pasting" the sections to a new folder. I'll have to figure what I did wrong here and see if I can find a way to get it on the site.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have posted the list on the other forum. It would allow a PDF of this size on that site. I hope some of you will find it useful.

Keith