FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Driveshaft question

Post Thanks / Like

Driveshaft question

Hello all, just when you think your getting close to completion.--

I have a 4r70 trans and its had a light seep from the tail shaft seal for a while now fiqured the seal dried out but after jacking the car up and placing on stands I saw fluid pouring out the back of the trans, I think that factory five supplied me with a shaft for the aod trans not 4r70 so I believe the outside diameter of 4r70 yolk is larger. Does any one know if I can just swap the slip yoke out, not sure if u joints are the same. Also ive attached a picture to show the shaft - my other question is if the shaft is in far enough I did install adjustable rear control arms.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,Ang

20170127_200809_resized (1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    While I am not familiar with the 33 hot rod setup, I just went thru something similar with a 289 roadster for a different trans. I would suggest you contact a local driveline company that has been around for years who knows the yolks and can advise the differences. We have one in Westlake Ohio named Henderson driveline, very knowledgeable. They will also know the bearing cap diameters and widths to know what u joint will be needed, if different. Spicer is a brand that you may want to look up, they may be able to help, being manufacturers of u joints and yolks. I Googled u joint dimensions and they are referred by a series of numbers, if I recall correctly like 13/30 that cross reference to bearing cap diameter and widths.
    I'll bet you will be able to swap out the yolk. I was able to with a u joint with something like 13/30 on one plane and 13/10 on the other. I'm sure yours will be entirely different, but hopefully you get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I am not familiar with the 33 hot rod setup, I just went thru something similar with a 289 roadster for a different trans. I would suggest you contact a local driveline company that has been around for years who knows the yolks and can advise the differences. We have one in Westlake Ohio named Henderson driveline, very knowledgeable. They will also know the bearing cap diameters and widths to know what u joint will be needed, if different. Spicer is a brand that you may want to look up, they may be able to help, being manufacturers of u joints and yolks. I Googled u joint dimensions and they are referred by a series of numbers, if I recall correctly like 13/30 that cross reference to bearing cap diameter and widths.
    I'll bet you will be able to swap out the yolk. I was able to with a u joint with something like 13/30 on one plane and 13/10 on the other. I'm sure yours will be entirely different, but hopefully you get the idea.

PeteH

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete,
    I spoke w/ a drive shaft shop today i'm having a complete new driveshaft made up just easier being that I feel the shaft is a bit short anyway.