Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vin plates ???

Post Thanks / Like

Vin plates ???

Please forgive me if this has been discussed in the past. I searched the forum and got nothing. I'm a newbie, just bought a FFR roadster at the recent Mecum auction in Kissimmee. The car I purchased has a Florida title with a FL**** VIN number on its title, or so claimed by Mecum. I paid all registration, title and tag fees to the Mecum auction agent. I tried to find a VIN plate on the car but can't find one. I looked in the engine compartment, cockpit, trunk and chassis below (I have a lift). No plate at all.

Where is the VIN plate or stamping on the FFR roadster ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR chassis number is stamped on the 2x2 cross brace that forms the bottom of the firewall mount and is visible under the "dash" on the driver's side. It'll be something like "F5R123456RD". Depending upon when it was titled and if the DMV and the owner used the SEMA-based replica titling laws, the FFR number IS the VIN. Older cars would have had to use the FL ASPT (assembled from parts) titling and a FL VIN sticker would be applied (usually over or next to the frame number, but really could have been installed anywhere the DMV employee wanted, but supposed to be readily visible.

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the state, the Factory Five Frame number stamped below the the drivers side dashboard on the frame cross member can be used as the actual VIN number. My frame number is my VIN number on my Mk4 and does not appear anywhere else.

VIN.jpg
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 01-31-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for your help with this. I had no idea where to look since everywhere I looked, I found nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you find it? I had my registered in CA and the CHP put the CA number on the FFR at the location above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike! Used to live in Indian Harbour! Contact Beal here on the forum... he's over near lake Washington. He's a great local resource, and can get you in contact with the Space Coast Cobra Club. They often meet over at Grill's over by the river.
    Welcome to the club, and enjoy the ride!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Steno. That's funny, I also live near Lake Washington. I'll keep my eyes open for a meet at Grill's. My wife and I just had dinner there last week.

If I join another club, my wife will leave me. I belong to the Space Coast Vettes, Space Coast Porsches, Central Florida Corvairs (don't laugh), SCCA (I race in the SEDIV TT events), NASA and a couple of others. When I bought the Cobra, my wife asked me "Does this mean we now join ANOTHER car club ?" I promised her we were not joining any other clubs.

Now that you mention another guy with a Cobra in the Lake Washington area, there is another guy in the neighborhood who live at the corner of Percheron and Appaloosa with a blue Cobra so I'm wondering if this is the guy you refer to as "Beal". If it is, we're about 8 houses apart.

Mesa Mike, yes I did find the FFR sticker/plate under the driver's side dash on the frame. It certainly doesn't stick out. I'm wondering if they stamped the frame as well. Most cars have dual VIN stampings, not sure about the FFR.

What is troubling me is that I haven't received my tag or title yet and the temp tag expires on February 5th. I bought and paid for the car on the 12th of January and usually Florida DMV issues titles within 14 days. I may have to take my registration and bill of sale to the local tag office to see what is going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the guy! 8 houses... that's great!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    Hi Mike! Used to live in Indian Harbour! Contact Beal here on the forum... he's over near lake Washington. He's a great local resource, and can get you in contact with the Space Coast Cobra Club. They often meet over at Grill's over by the river.
    Welcome to the club, and enjoy the ride!!
    Hey, I'm in Orange city fl and have not heard of space coast cobra club. I will have to check them out.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.