Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Opting for Boyd Tank in lieu of FFR Tank

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Opting for Boyd Tank in lieu of FFR Tank

I just placed my order for the 33' last week and would like to use the Boyd Tank instead of the FFR Stock Tank. I was a little hesitant to delete at time of order as they said you can't delete just the tank, but have to delete the entire "Fuel Package". Can anyone confirm exactly what that entails? I am trying figure out what additional components I would now have to purchase on top of the Boyd Tank...are we talking filler neck, lines, everything? I am going with a 306 EFI. Thanks for the feedback up front.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not delete the tank. It comes with some stuff you will need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you want the boyd tank so badly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    Why do you want the boyd tank so badly?
    Not that I want the tank so badly, I would actually prefer to not have to spend the additional money on something that can be supplied with the base kit. There is an overwhelming perception throughout this forum that the stock tank from FFR presents some challenges with regards to filling, "slosh" and in some cases, leakage and may be an inferior product. I don't know if these are just isolated cases, but I do know in my reading, the opinion of opting for the Boyd Tank (or an alternative tank) has come up more than I have heard the opposite. I would love to hear from those that have gone with the stock tank and have been perfectly happy with it. It would save me a couple bucks and I wouldn't need to change my order. I appreciate you posing the question as it really does drive back to if there is a true issue in the first place...thanks.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    "There is an overwhelming perception throughout this forum that the stock tank from FFR presents some challenges with regards to filling, "slosh" and in some cases, leakage and may be an inferior product."

Of those posts that I have seen it was never documented if the issue was an installation issue or defect of manufacture. You are correct that there is an "overwhelming perception" that there are tanks that leaked and the design could be better. As a potentially leaky fuel tank is/would be a safety concern, does anyone know if F5 ever looked into any of the reported leaks and what they found?

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my stage 1 kit in mid 2016 and contacted FFR regarding the issues on the tank prior to ordering and was told that they had been resolved (you can take that or leave it).

However, I can confirm that my kit does have at least some baffles on the bottom of the interior to help prevent sloshing and also has a different vent setup than what is in the manual which should help prevent the filling/gurgling issues others have seen, but we will see when I get it to a gas pump since to date I have only been using fuel cans. I can also confirm that it doesn't leak, but that doesn't say too much since Ive only had it for 8 months...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to delete only the tank. However, FFR's policy may have changed. The way it was worded on my invoice (below the $110 fuel tank deletion) was: "DELETION OF ASSEMBLY FROM KIT. KIT PACK PLEASE REMOVE FROM BOX 20A ALL BUT 33312 ASSEMBLY." The 33312 assembly includes fuel filler neck, cap, hose, clamps, and ground strap.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just tried to install factory gas tank. the lower mounting tabs are ok, but the upper tabs are not long enough to reach the tabs on the frame. I can rework the tabs by cutting them and bending them forward. But why should I have to ?