FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine and Trans Options

Post Thanks / Like

Engine and Trans Options

What is the best normally aspirated engine and trans combination (year, model). Will the EJ 25 work with the kit?
    I'm seriously considering piecing out the needed Subaru parts, is this a good idea? I'd prefer using new brake components to those off a salvaged car. What concerns me the most is coming up with the proper fasteners, buying them by the piece would be expensive.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    A number of guys have built their cars without a donor, and a few others like myself wish they had too. If your budget is low, get a donor. If your budget already included lots of upgrades, and you don't mind sourcing the parts, then go donor-less.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any EJ motor will work including the NA ones. 02-04 made 165 hp, in '05 they got VVT which bumped them up to a pavement buckling 170 hp.

The transmission on the NA cars doesn't really mean much because the power and torque are so much lower you'll never really hurt one. The only real reason the 5MTs blow up is because kids with hoonigan stickers and monster hats soup up their WRX and beat the snot out of them.

One nice thing about the 818 is that because you don't have a rear differential to match you can pretty much run any 5MT you want so long as the half shafts match up (again, '02-'04 are interchangeable, '05-'07 are different.)

As far as hardware, somewhere on this forum is a thread that lists all the nuts and bolts you'd need to do all the suspension out of AN hardware. I think the total was less than $300. Just about everything else could be sourced from a local hardware store. Because it's a Subaru there's only a few different thread sizes (mostly M8 x 1.25).
    Last edited by phil1734; 02-02-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    "What is the best normally aspirated engine and trans combination"

According to information on the net, in 2010 the EJ 253 engine was improved and uses a different head cover gasket. This may be argued as the best NA engine to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't dig too far into it, but I recall seeing that the FFR NA solutions route at least part of the exhaust under the frame cross member- yuck. So you (may) need to consider that feature or an alternate solution. I went EZ30R (H6)- and also have to build headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea where that thread is? I've tried 10 searches and no luck... That is a list I would love to have since I am missing a lot of my suspension hardware. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    Any EJ motor will work including the NA ones. 02-04 made 165 hp, in '05 they got VVT which bumped them up to a pavement buckling 170 hp.

The transmission on the NA cars doesn't really mean much because the power and torque are so much lower you'll never really hurt one. The only real reason the 5MTs blow up is because kids with hoonigan stickers and monster hats soup up their WRX and beat the snot out of them.

One nice thing about the 818 is that because you don't have a rear differential to match you can pretty much run any 5MT you want so long as the half shafts match up (again, '02-'04 are interchangeable, '05-'07 are different.)

As far as hardware, somewhere on this forum is a thread that lists all the nuts and bolts you'd need to do all the suspension out of AN hardware. I think the total was less than $300. Just about everything else could be sourced from a local hardware store. Because it's a Subaru there's only a few different thread sizes (mostly M8 x 1.25).
    FFR Build Status: Reset button hit
    '03 Subaru Impreza eSi RHD...because Japan

Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    I didn't dig too far into it, but I recall seeing that the FFR NA solutions route at least part of the exhaust under the frame cross member- yuck. So you (may) need to consider that feature or an alternate solution. I went EZ30R (H6)- and also have to build headers.
    The exhaust changed in 2005 as well, so I can't vouch for how an '05-'07 lines up, but the '02-'04 is mostly under the frame. Not the prettiest thing in the world if you somehow manage to get your head low enough to see it, but it is underneath the angled portion of the chassis that the transmission sits on so you'll still bottom out by the gas tank. It also makes it difficult to implement a belly pan or diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like
    At one time I had a Subaru XT Coupe. It had a low slung exhaust system that would self destruct every time it either bottomed out or it collided with a parking strip. Having the exhaust routed over the rear suspension is a much better solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    why not just run the turbo exhaust on the NA engine (equal length), flange to the up-pipe with a 130 degree bend out through a center muffler mounted on top of the trans? Or, do a cool long tube header up around the valve cover to a 4-1 collector....or, insert cool idea here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    why not just run the turbo exhaust on the NA engine (equal length), flange to the up-pipe with a 130 degree bend out through a center muffler mounted on top of the trans? Or, do a cool long tube header up around the valve cover to a 4-1 collector....or, insert cool idea here.
    Because the NA donors typically don't come with the turbo exhaust.

But that is the plan. It's just so far down the to-do list at this point it's hardly worth thinking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    A number of guys have built their cars without a donor, and a few others like myself wish they had too. If your budget is low, get a donor. If your budget already included lots of upgrades, and you don't mind sourcing the parts, then go donor-less.
    It's not about budget as much as safety with brakes etc. Not really thinking of upgrades just new or factory rebuilt components.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, great information. Been reading posts on here for weeks and you condensed what I needed to know into just a few lines.
    So 05 and up for the EJ engine and any 5MT, just have to make sure to match up the half shafts.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wageslave View Post
    Thanks, great information. Been reading posts on here for weeks and you condensed what I needed to know into just a few lines.
    So 05 and up for the EJ engine and any 5MT, just have to make sure to match up the half shafts.
    05-07.

2008 and up went to a can-bus system and while they would physically fit wiring would probably be a nightmare. If you get a hold of Brian at iWire they could probably tell you more as I believe they are working on being able to integrate them into the 818 chassis should you still want to pursue that option.

The 5MT also did undergo some changes to the bellhousing and clutch slave in the late 90's early 00's so don't source an ancient one trying to save some cash unless you know it will work with your motor. With that said, a 5MT for a NA car is about a third of the cost of one for a turbo, and the only difference is the final drive ratio, which doesn't matter for the 818.
    Last edited by phil1734; 02-06-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    05-07.

2008 and up went to a can-bus system and while they would physically fit wiring would probably be a nightmare. If you get a hold of Brian at iWire they could probably tell you more as I believe they are working on being able to integrate them into the 818 chassis should you still want to pursue that option.

The 5MT also did undergo some changes to the bellhousing and clutch slave in the late 90's early 00's so don't source an ancient one trying to save some cash unless you know it will work with your motor. With that said, a 5MT for a NA car is about a third of the cost of one for a turbo, and the only difference is the final drive ratio, which doesn't matter for the 818.
    Thanks for straightening me out on that phill1734.
    I have been looking at engines and trannys on ..autopartsearch.com and the engines run fro $1600 with 100,000 to $2500 with 90,000 and trannys $250 to $400, with free shipping to my local yard, are those good prices?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    For NA parts that sounds about right.