BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Firewall and Aluminum Panels

Post Thanks / Like

Firewall and Aluminum Panels

Still a while before I order my 33. Looking at multiple build threads it seems some are riveting the panels and others are tapping and using screws to put together.
    Is there a concencus on the best method? Advantages or disadvantage of one over the other?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rivets are easy but you may find a need to install, remove, and reinstall the firewall several times during your build. You could use clecos for temporary installation and rivets for the final installation. Or you could go the more difficult route (that's what I did) and drill & tap for 10-32 and use SS button head screws. I needed to make the firewall removable for servicing so the screws work best for my application. If you do use SS fasteners on any part of your build be sure to also use anti-seize.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the panels that may be removed, it access panels i used aircraft nutplates, clecos are a great help to hold things in place as they are drilled I have sources if you want to try them out

Post Thanks / Like
    On anything I may want to remove, I use aircraft nut plates in areas with access and 10-32 screws. No access gets tapped. Anything I want permanent gets blind rivets in blind areas and solid rivets in areas with access.

Hint. You don't have to tap the 10-32 screw holes in the mild steel. Just run in high quality self tappers (not from HD) for the build process and replace with the nice machine screws at the end of the build. Make sure and lube them as the threads will be tight.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!