Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF ROCKET build #8890

Post Thanks / Like

FF ROCKET build #8890

Hi All, Name is Greg I start my build site on the other forum thought I would show it over here also. Will pretty much be a copy paste from there to here. but would love to hear ideas and critiques.

Well Christmas did come early this year.

After 14 years of wanting to build this car the time has finally come. It is going to be an early air force retirement gift. wanted to drive it to my retirement ceremony in five years. So it looks like I will make that dead line.

As for the car itself I was going to wait for the 50/50 sale and pick it up then. When the SEMA sale started I was excited by seeing the 289 had the 50/50 sale attached to it. I call FFR and asked if they would do it on the standard roadster. I was told no and that they probably wont again. Go,s to show how popular these cars are. No worries but doesn't hurt to ask. So after wifey and I had a discussion I decided to just go for it now and take advantage of the sale that was going on.

So right be for I called FFR I called Gordon Levy to ask what spline drive shaft I needed to get. He once again mentioned to me that he knew a guy selling a barely started car (front arms and maybe F panels installed). He first told about it when I went and picked up and oil pan a few weeks before. Problem at the time was the car was a 3 link I was going to do an IRS. When I looked at the cost savings of this deal. I could not resist. So now instead of a IRS, I will be installing Gordon's 5 link.

Car:

Mk IV roadster
    Powder coated
    351 Ceramic headers(For Sale $500)
    Gas N Pipe Headers and pipes
    Leather seats
    Vintage gauge GPS (want to trade for Auto-lites)(traded)
    15" Halibrands (sold)
    Chrome roll bar
    Stainless Bumper set (Sold)
    Wind wings
    11.65 Brake kit (For Sale $550)
    Stock GT front brakes (Sold)
    Levy Racing 6 piston brakes up front
    Levy Racing Live rear axle brakes
    Levy Racing 5 link wrapped around a Forte 8.8 rearend
    Levy Racing Front Control arms
    Levy Koni double adjustable shock and springs
    FFR tubular lower and (Sold)
    FFR front upper Arms (sold)
    FFR 3 link refit kit (Sold)
    FFR manual steering rack (For Sale $225)
    FFR rear lower arms (Sold)
    Levy power steering kit
    Russ Thompson light kit
    Russ Thompson drop trunk

Color thought about, but undecided (wife hates the color I want)

Power provided by:

427w Dart block
    Callies Crank
    Callies rods H-beams
    JE Pistons
    Total seal rings
    Custom ground cam
    AFR CNC heads
    Super victor JR intake
    Braswell Carburetor
    Levy Oil pan

Should put out somewhere around:

575+ hp
    600+ ft-lbs

So Stewart Transport has been really backed up lately. I had a weekend open up so a friend of mine and I bombed up to Yuba City and north Sacramento area to go get the kit and body. When we got to Ken Pikes (AKA Street Rod Painter) shop we decided to leave the body and just pull the chassis and parts back to Tucson. So 26 hours later hear it is in it's new home.

Work space before car

After cleaning

The trip to go get the Rocket

Last edited by Planecrazy1976; 02-17-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your early retirement project, and thank you for serving. I also bought mine as a retirement gift, which is next January 2018. I am 4mos into the build of a 289 and ready to do initial electrical systems check and fire it up pretty soon. My wife tells me I'm not spending all next summer (Ohio) working on it, which I won't. But, something will get done here and there. Hope to have painted before next winter.
    Have fun, take your time, and be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete, I will get this build thread caught up to mine on the other site. It has been fun soo far, loving ever minute of it.

Post Thanks / Like

OHH am I having FUN!!!!

So I got to finally work on the car a few days these last couple of week. I removed some parts that I will not be using, and have already sold a few of them. I took apart and redid some tasks that the previous owner had done. More for my OCD and wanting to know that it was done to my liking. I remade the front f panels. There were some miss drilled hole and rivots that were not in the frame. I removed the original firewall because it is being replaced with the thicker one from FFMETAL.

I am installing Gordon Levy's 5 Link rear end. So I began the prep work for getting the tubes measured and cut out where it rear support goes in. It is a pretty scary task of cutting on a perfectly good frame. But once the first cut is made it all goes away and you caring on with the task.

This past Sunday we welded in the new parts they fit like a glove. while looking at the frame I made the decision to cut off all the unused suspension mount. So after the cutting of the mounts not even sure how many sawzall blades we went through, but what I can tell you is that these cars are made by true craftsmen and very well built. Why can I say that well after cutting the metal out. We took on the monumental task of grinding all the weld off. Let me just say that after 8 hour of grinding (I know my neighbors love me) and one brand new to now not working angle grinder. Yes I had to buy a new one just to finish the last welds. The frame is clean and beautiful. Still have to go back and clean up the new welds and soft wheel the ones that we removed in prep for paint.

This weekends tasks will be cleaning up the frame and paint. And trying to figure out how to get a hidden battery box in the trunk with a 5-link. I have been told it can done just worried about how much axle movement there is. But will tackle that this weekend. I got my axles shimmed up for my rear brakes which I hope will be in this week.
    Last edited by Planecrazy1976; 02-07-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: fixing pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the family!! While I am not quite as close as Gordon to you, I am not that much further north. Good to have another FFR in the state. If I can be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to ask. FYI Phoenix has a Cobra club, and Tucson may as well. Good people in the group. Members of the Phx cobra club will often drive down to Tucson. Hope our paths will cross at some point.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a question anytime you post with pics. do the moderators have to verify? Thanks Jazz i met a few cobra guys already when there was a small cruise here in Tucson. good people. i do hope to meet up someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    no once you hit like 5 or 10 posts you dont need them anymore... It is a verifying thing, keeps people from opening accounts and posting advertisements.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks thats what i thought. i guess i will just say Hi to alot of people. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Planecrazy1976 View Post
    Just a question anytime you post with pics. do the moderators have to verify? Thanks Jazz i met a few cobra guys already when there was a small cruise here in Tucson. good people. i do hope to meet up someday.
    I have used the photo upload system built right into this forum and have never had a problem with it. I know that Photobucket has had its issues. I have been very glad that I chose to upload everything here. Let me know if you would appreciate assistance getting started uploading photos to the forum site.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jazzman, I would like move my pics but then it mess up my build thread on the other forum. I am going to tsee if it gets better after I have a few more posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel tank strap moved

I move the passenger rear tank strap mount to the lower part of the frame so it will not be seen in the trunk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I will enjoy following along.
    Those are some pretty cool looking RC planes in the first garage pic. Any links to youtube videos of them in action?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg-

What a great retirement present! It looks like you are off to a great start.

You are right about cutting into the frame; it takes lots of guts to do that. I like what you are doing though.

Good luck as you move forward. I look forward to watching your progress.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareaglescott, I personally dont have any videos on youtube of my planes flying. But do love the hobby, although I must say i have not flown for a little while. Had to take a lot of time to get finances right to tackle. This project plus I love to mountian bike more than fly.

Steve, the first cut is always the hardest. Beautiful thing is that it can a generally fixed if messed up. Thanks for the encouragement!

Post Thanks / Like

Drop Trunk up date

So for some updates:

Got the Russ Thompson drop trunk installed. Not much to say about it really simple mod that gives a lot of benefits. Builds and installs just like Russ's instructions. I decided not to cut the bars. I mean the smaller triangle looks like a gallon of milk(read 6-pack) will fit peferctly. I mean we are building this things as grocery getters RIGHT!

Post Thanks / Like

Hidden Trunk battery a NO go.

The FFMETAL battery box does not fit with 5 link, I bought it with the idea of getting an IRS, but when found the deal on this car I figured I could make it work after getting the frame work installed it is a no go with the box as it its. It is roughly 9 inches tall so that is the main problem. It ends up over the axle tubes which at an estimated ride height are at 9.5 inches and I'm pretty sure there is more than a .5 inch of movement up and down. I purchased an XPS battery which is smaller than a yellow top, roughly 7.8"H x 6.7" L x 6.5" W. So I kinda gave up on hiding it in the trunk. Last night I cut the box down to make it smaller and fit my new battery. I will see if the new size will work on hiding it, but the depth hasn't changed. Soo it still will not fit anywhere I am just going to center it on the upper trunk area, cover it in carpet and call it a day.

I will cut the side tabs off at a later time. I wish it had been hidden, but it wont be seen in this box. I have a few products by FFmetal this battery box kit is super nice well engineered. Call Bill you will not be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to add some front bling

Over the Christmas and New Years holidays I was able to get away from the grind of work. And get some major things done on the car. I finally received all the parts I need to complete the install of Gordon Levy's front upper and lower arms. The installation was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be just a lot of measure, check, re-measure, check, pilot drill, and then open up to full size.

The set up requires drilling new holes and inch lower that the predilled hole that are currently there. These meausements are a little tricky to do just take your time. The key to drilling these holes was have long enough bits to go through both mounts. Easy to do just a visit Home Depot.

Once all the drilling is done on the bottom mounts. When I got all the parts install I noticed that there was interference between the shock body and the upper are. After research and calling Gordon. I found that i need to dill new up shock mount holes an inch back from the original ones.
    Once that was done all was good!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the bling!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Love those arms - they look awesome.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I really love the look plus the lower roll center coupled with the 5- link should make this thing handle quite well!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Rear end finalized

After I got the front arms all buttoned up I moved to the rear end. After I got the all the axle side to side lash removed. It requred two .06 axle shims in the pumpkin. Was an interesting challenge see as I had never done and thing to this style reared. Closes I came was change gears in a quick change rear end on my friends race car between heat races or settng up to go racing. Once the axles were recheck. I install the caliper and brakes. LOve the look of red calipers.

And of course when you put those on you have to slap some wheels on you know to check clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Brakes done in the back, Now for the front.

As it has been posted on here many times. And written better than what I can do,I'm not going to get deep into how this was done just pics of the progress.

Post Thanks / Like

One step closer to a roller

The final pieces came in right before Christmas to finalize the Gordon Levy 5-link.

New rear arms straighten things out and unbind it all. It is really cool seeing the suspension go through it's movement. All that stuff that is usually hidden while we are driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to do something different!

So I like the idea of when you open the hood and look in the engine bay there is nothing but huge glorious 427 cubic inches of motor staring you back in the face. I didn't want to see heater blowers and all that.(Heater required "Wife") so I went the route of putting the blower motor behind the dash with the core. Also solves the issue of not having too build a box to enclose the heater to keep unwanted air and engine fumes coming through the heater when its not in use. I am using the FFmetal firewall that is .090" think to give the added strength of holding the heater components. This allowed me to use the original firewall for mock up.

Once I got the core and blower on the wall, I was only worried about fitment from the back of the five gauge cluster and the blower. It turned out perfect, it's tight and close but there is no rub hard to tell from pictures.

So now that I know the part will fit I need to construct a plenum to still blow air over the core. This beautiful pink poster board did the trick(supposedly all daughter could find, I think not.) After my eyes were able to adjust to the color I can up with this shape.

Busted out the template plastic so that everything would transfer over to the real firewall.

Post Thanks / Like

Plenum Bent

So I bent the plenum out of one piece of aluminum the four seams will be welded and ground off. And once its powder coated will look like one piece.
    When its finally installed, will use some aircraft sealant to seal everything up so no air can be pushed out.

Gaps get pulled tight when screws are fully tightened.

Post Thanks / Like
    And besides the RC planes, did you check out the David Clark hearing protection Scott? Lol, fellow airplane goobers unite!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep Warmie, With being military, second job in aviation, plus friend owns and airplane. I have a few DC's laying around and they make pretty dang good hearing protect. Yeah user name kinda has double meaning. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mighty impressive suspension mods. That thing should handle like its on rails.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a roller!

I had the NITTO NT05's mounted up the 17 wheels. It is amazing how big the rear tires are on this thing. I love the looks of these tires and hopefully the stickiness will help put that 427 HP to the ground and get this rocket moving.

MAN that is close!!!
    Last edited by Planecrazy1976; 02-24-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

BRAKE meaning brake line

I always knew the brake lines were going to be fun so I made the first one that ran from pass front brake to the drivers front brake. Had a buddy come over who does brakes for a living and always did the brake line on my buddies race cars. He looked at it and said that's cute then proceeded to remove my beautiful work. After feeding him cokes and pizza we now have front brakes, reservoirs, master cylinders and lines run to the rear. Rear brakes will get finished this weekend. Crazy thing is I Gilly does not use a tubing bend just hi Ginormous hands and thumbs. I think it all turned out gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Driver side front wall.

One of my goals was to try to keep the engine bay as clean as possible so no real distractions Just motor. Like I have done by moving the heater blower into the dash next was to tackle the opening in the forward most panel of the driver foot box. I always was not a fan of the panel just riveted on top. I know a lot of you will say that doesn't matter because that area will be plenty hidden by reservoirs and body and such. But I still love the clean look soo here is what I came up with. I made my filler piece out of .040 Alum. Riveted it to a larger piece about a quarter inch bigger. I then bent channels that we .040 in wide and riveted them to the panel which gave a slot for my piece to slide in. just needs a little more refinement to blend perfectly. Then once powder coated all the flush rivets will disappear and all that will remain are two simple straight lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Some unexpected progress.

I was driving home from work the other day and an email popped up on my phone. It was from Ken Pike AKA Street rod painter. It was picture update on my body. When I bought my car the body was already at his shop so when I went to go bring the car back to Tucson our first stop was to get the body. After talking with Ken that day I decided to just leave the body there. Ken had another customers MK4 in the shop and he said he was going to use that chassis to mock up and get the body going while I build and decide on a color. So this thing just got real!

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg-

Nice work getting to the roller stage. I like many of the small details you are incorporating! I think it will look very sharp.

Looks like you are going to have a painted body in fairly short order. That is very exciting!

Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve,

I think I have this thread caught up o where we are today. With work commitments I really only get to spend Sunday in the garage. It truly has been a fun project so far. Street rod painter(Ken Pike) said that the body can be finished as soon as 4 weeks. Which I am not ready for yet. LOL Talk to my engine builder a he telling me about 4 weeks for the motor. I just got all my panels back from the powder coater will be posting update later today.

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood rear parking brake adaptors

While I waited for all 68 parts to come back from the powder coater I thought I would catch up on some of the small stuff. First I made my parking brake brackets to fit the Wilwood rears. They are made out of Lokar Ford Explorer brake tabs. I used the cable ends to mark the pattern, then a drill to open them up, and the my dremel tool to get them to the correct shape. Once on worked like a champ.

Pic was taken before final clean up. But you get the point.
    Last edited by Planecrazy1976; 03-10-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Russ Thompson turn signal

Now for the Russ Thompson turn signal. I picked up a bezel from Replicaparts.com, But when it showed up I noticed that you could not put the turn signal through the bezel. As you can see the mount is in the way.

I drilled out the rivets to be able to remove the bracket.

I then installed 8-32 rivnuts. they cleared the inner shaft support. If you did have interference you could remove the bushing screw and redrill where it will work.

As you can see the cut out in the bezel allows it to slip over the rivnuts, be careful with the wire don't pull on them to hard.

I then drilled out the spacers to go over the rivnuts. Then reassembled with 8-32 screws. You could just rerivet the mount back on, but I felt that with this being removable would make the dash install and removal a heck of a lot easier.

Last edited by Planecrazy1976; 03-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Updates

Wow it has been awhile since I have updated. I feel that I should me farther along, but with work commitment and life I guess I have made decent progress. All of my panels are back from powder coater and look fantastic. I finally have permanent​ panels installed.

Because I did my gas tank mod I had to bend a new cover panel here it is install once carpet is installed will never know.
    Last edited by Planecrazy1976; 04-30-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You do very nice work, but you already know that.

Looks Great!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel lines are in

Got the fuel lines in and plumbed. I am running an after market fuel pick up that has a #10 feed and a #6 return. I reduced the feed to #8 and ran #8 and #6 lines to the engine bay.

I installed the fuel filter under the passenger side seat plate mounted to the frame rail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    You do very nice work, but you already know that.

Looks Great!

Steve
    Thanks Steve. It's labor of OCD. I mean love. Thanks for the support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast