BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Powder Coating Chassis

Post Thanks / Like

Powder Coating Chassis

Anyone want to share some feedback as to what ya'll might be seeing as far as chassis powder coating cost? Please include color for reference.

I recieved a qoute for Gloss Blue...$1500, seemed aweful steep to me! I'll rattle can it before paying that!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cost of the powder coat option from FFR is much lower than I could get in my area. $1,500 is not much higher than what I found here in Northern AZ. However, the quality of prep on my FFR powder coating left a lot to be desired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    The cost of the powder coat option from FFR is much lower than I could get in my area. $1,500 is not much higher than what I found here in Northern AZ. However, the quality of prep on my FFR powder coating left a lot to be desired.
    Thanks...I'd be open to going that way if they'd offer some different colors, guess that keeps cost down or staying with tradition...."You can have any color you want as long as it's black"- Henry Ford
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid $2,000 to have my Type 65 frame powder coated white. That got the frame blasted with a fine medium and coated with 2 coats of top-grade powder primer and 2 coats of white. I was very pleased with the work, which was done by an industrial powder coating company in northeast Ohio. I would do it again, despite the substantial cost.

As a point of reference, my wife's uncle gets his dirt track frames powder coated for $500 or so here in western PA. The prep process is, as I understand it, nothing more than wiping it down with acetone (or whatever) and putting a single coat of black powder on it. I had the option of going that route but declined as I wasn't comfortable with the quality and longevity of the work. Bottom line: like any other paint work, you get what you pay for.

Post Thanks / Like
    $1500 is definitely reasonable, have seen quotes much higher

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a guy in Ontario Canada that powder coated my frame and all the front end for $500. I dressed all the welds to take off the spatter and it turned out great. Btw that is Canadian dollars. I would ask around to get a better price.