BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wrapping a 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Wrapping a 33 Hot Rod

I have heard plenty of people talk about getting their car wrapped instead of paint but have not really seen if anyone has done it or not. So has anyone gotten their car wrapped? Seems like a good idea and it is much cheaper than a paint job and easier to fix if there are issues. Some of the systems cover the wrap with a clear laminate that resist chips and scratches and even if it gets scratched they so heating it up right quick with a small torch and it flows back to smooth again.

I emailed one company for a quote earlier this week and sent a few emails back and forth. The quote was $2,200.00 + $181.50 tax out the door. That was for the design, print, lamination and install. They include the cost of design and said that depending on what the owner and designer come up with could take anywhere from several days to a few weeks. Also depends on how fast the owner can get back with the designer when proofs or questions are sent for reply.

If anyone has photos of their 33's that have been wrapped I would love to see them.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I've thought about doing this to a roadster. I'm interested to what others have done and what you end up doing.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    I have heard plenty of people talk about getting their car wrapped instead of paint but have not really seen if anyone has done it or not. So has anyone gotten their car wrapped? Seems like a good idea and it is much cheaper than a paint job and easier to fix if there are issues. Some of the systems cover the wrap with a clear laminate that resist chips and scratches and even if it gets scratched they so heating it up right quick with a small torch and it flows back to smooth again.

I emailed one company for a quote earlier this week and sent a few emails back and forth. The quote was $2,200.00 + $181.50 tax out the door. That was for the design, print, lamination and install. They include the cost of design and said that depending on what the owner and designer come up with could take anywhere from several days to a few weeks. Also depends on how fast the owner can get back with the designer when proofs or questions are sent for reply.

If anyone has photos of their 33's that have been wrapped I would love to see them.

Tim
    I just finished wrapping my 818R, turned out very nice (I think), I used about 50' of 5' wide wrap, I think that the 33 would be a very wrappable car, the roadster not so.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched them wrap cars during SEMA in a booth. Wrapped the same car, multiple times, each day. Plain, metallic, chromes, printed graphics, race stripes of every type. Pretty cool.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    We use wraps all the time on road race cars and the results have always been really good. Just make sure you use a reputable company whose work you can see beforehand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont you still have to do all the same body work prior to wrapping? Once the bodywork is done is the wrap really that much cheaper than paint?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Dont you still have to do all the same body work prior to wrapping? Once the bodywork is done is the wrap really that much cheaper than paint?
    Scott,

Well, yes and no... With some of the modern day paints you have multiple coats of color with wet sanding in between the layers. The multiple layers of clear coat to get it looking right. Adding any kind of metal flake and you have more to do between the layers as well. Some of the paint it'self can be very costly and paying someone to shoot it on top of that. Add some trick graphics like a couple sets of flames and it goes up even more.

With the wrap you have to resolve the fitment issues and make sure you have a smooth surface to work with. But you just need a good gel coat for the wrap to stick to. Additionally the final surface is a clear coat wrap that protects the wrap. I saw a video where someone scratched up a wrapped car with a wire brush and they were able to fix it with the heat from a torch. Plus if you do get damage to the wrap it is cheaper to fix. When I was in the shop checking out their work there was a Lamborghini that was wrapped and the owner had tagged the wall at a drag strip a couple weeks before. He had a new fender put on the car and they were re-wrapping the front fender from the original design. Total cost for the re-wrap was $300.00 out the door. They said that normal cost for re-wrapping the damaged part of a car was less than $500.00.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    The wrap needs a good base to adhere too. You have to still do all the base body work and primer steps and wet sanding and end with sealer. Once sealed, that is a good surface for the vinyl to adhere to. Any imperfections that show up in paint can show up in a wrap. It shrinks into voids just like paint will. You can save money on the color and clear stages.

My best friend owns a wrap shop. I worked with him to help get it started. Really is amazing. The materials are expensive and time consuming to print, laminate, and install. If done properly, it looks real good, but I still think a really good paint job looks better. Especially a solid color. You can do trick graphics though.

I may wrap mine since I have a resource for it. Haven't decided, and it's not m likely choice (mainly due to color I want) but I am keeping that option open.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking a solid base coat color and then using wrap applied for the two tone or other graphics choices, but I have gotten too worried about it yet. The more curves the greater the difficulty which leads to higher cost. The dirt track guys use it because its more chip resistant. I've seen the camo on jeeps and it does hold up well under abuse so maybe that or the 3M clear will go on the lower sections.