FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Finally did it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Finally did it.

Hi. I'm Boyd. Been around the forums for over 2 years, have chatted with a few of you on different topics.
    I'm a heavy commercial aircraft mechanic, been doing it on the line for 27 years. 5 years before that in General and Corporate Aviation.

Been a fan of F5 for many years. Have been building a spreadsheet for the last 2.5 years while saving the big bucks for a build.

Feb 1st, I decided my finances were in line and I'm at a great point in my life to do this. Placed an order for a complete MKIV.
    Added on:
    Powdercoat chassis
    cut outs
    wind wings
    sun visors
    wipers
    floormats
    Big Red Wilwoods, front & rear
    Moser 8.8 rear

I had been told 4-5 weeks to build the kit. After placing the order, found out there were some openings and they bumped me up. Kit will be done on 2-11... 10 days from ordering.
    Already setup with Stewart.

Just a very small piece of the huge plans I have...

427W, x head
    TKO600
    Full Gas-N exhaust
    2x4 FiTech
    17x9 & 17x10.5 AR105M Anthracite wheels with 255 & 315 NT05's.
    Thats the big chunks. Lots and lots of stuff from Breeze, Fortes, some electric mods planned.

Got a Build Dolly and a Body Buck for free from grluisi150 back in September. Kinda cool that they have been used for multiple builds and the F5 pilots have been signing and dating them. Hope to be able to pass this along when I'm done with them.

Anyways, Thanks for letting me hang around the forums for so long without having an F5. Yeah, I'm excited. No, I havent slept. Yes, I'm already spending money like a Madman.

I know, no pics, didnt happen. But there's nothing to take a pic of... yet.
    Last edited by Boydster; 02-03-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats ! Did you get in on the 9900.00 sale that went up today ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Not too far from me in NoVa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    No, I just saw it. Missed it by 2 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody know these guys?

IMG_20170203_163938.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Yes, the money can go out fast and furious when you get started on one of these.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This will be child's play for you.

C_O_N_G_R_A_T_U_L_A_T_I_O_N_S_!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!! Sounds like an awesome build!
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have fun, I am. One of the best parts of owning one of these is the build.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Welcome! Not too far from me in NoVa
    Maybe a goal for a first short road trip?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig baja View Post
    Welcome. Yes, the money can go out fast and furious when you get started on one of these.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much sticking to my spreadsheet so far, but even that is not what we'd call "budgeting". I've got some pretty high end stuff ($$) in the plans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    This will be child's play for you.

C_O_N_G_R_A_T_U_L_A_T_I_O_N_S_!
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleMaltWSKY View Post
    Congrats!! Sounds like an awesome build!
    I hope so... I think it will be. I went with the x-head 427 thinking if it's not enough, a simple cyl head swap and new headers can add 75 - 100 hp. Just about enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Have fun, I am. One of the best parts of owning one of these is the build.
    ...and I am so looking forward to it. I could have bought a GT500, but decided this would be more fun to build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    I called FF today when I saw that sale e-mail. It only applies to a base kit. But, if anyone has recently ordered a base kit, give them a call ASAP! They sounded like they were willing to apply the sale to recent purchases. It never hurts to ask.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I did but getting complete kit. I have to talk to Tony on Monday. Just trying to figure out what options.

Here are my thoughts
    MK4 complete kit, powder coated chassis, 351 headers, 302-351 engine mounts, 31 spline 2015 IRS drive shaft, Body cut outs, leather seats, P/S components, 2015 IRS, GPS gauge set, 17x9/10.5 Halibrands, rear nudge bar, 4 over-riders, wind wings, sun visors, front sway bar kit, rear sway bar kit, Floor mats, Chrome roll bars, 2015 stock brakes, extra side view mirror, drivers seat slider, side louvers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd-

Congratulations on taking the plunge; you won't regret it! I like your plan, and I think the time you have spent putting the plan together will pay dividends. I took a long time planning before I could order, and although I have made some changes along the way, having that solid plan in the beginning has made all the difference.

The next few weeks will be exciting. Getting the garage ready, sorting out what tools you may need to buy -- or at least convince the wife you need to buy! ;-o) Plus the whole dreaming about it before it gets there, will keep you occupied.

Good luck being patient until it gets here, and please keep us updated.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Boyd-

Congratulations on taking the plunge; you won't regret it! I like your plan, and I think the time you have spent putting the plan together will pay dividends. I took a long time planning before I could order, and although I have made some changes along the way, having that solid plan in the beginning has made all the difference.
    That's been my fun part of it so far. My spreadsheet is immense, with links to all the vendor pages and to the forums for certain topics I want to re-visit (think pinion angle and front alignment). I also know that I can afford to build it the way I want to. This will be my only build and I dont see selling it.

The next few weeks will be exciting. Getting the garage ready, sorting out what tools you may need to buy -- or at least convince the wife you need to buy! ;-o) Plus the whole dreaming about it before it gets there, will keep you occupied.
    No wife. She took off years ago for some dude with an italian accent that bought her a white BMW. I ended up getting a divorce in absentia. So I can buy anything I need. Long as the girl in my pic to the left of this post agrees.

Good luck being patient until it gets here, and please keep us updated.
    Thanks for making me feel welcome. I dont know that I'll do a build thread, but I will be sure to post some updates as it goes along. And especially for the cool stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    The girl on the left will definitely appreciate the open air drives.
    Welcome aboard!
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun - enjoy the journey and let us know when we can start helping you spend your money.

Oh.... and when you get stuck on something, just close your eyes and dream of doing this someday soon.......

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Makgecko View Post
    I did but getting complete kit. I have to talk to Tony on Monday. Just trying to figure out what options.

Here are my thoughts
    MK4 complete kit, powder coated chassis, 351 headers, 302-351 engine mounts, 31 spline 2015 IRS drive shaft, Body cut outs, leather seats, P/S components, 2015 IRS, GPS gauge set, 17x9/10.5 Halibrands, rear nudge bar, 4 over-riders, wind wings, sun visors, front sway bar kit, rear sway bar kit, Floor mats, Chrome roll bars, 2015 stock brakes, extra side view mirror, drivers seat slider, side louvers.
    Where do you live? I have a set of SS roll bars and SS bumper set. I will trade you driver side roll bar for the regular one, you pay shipping both ways... Save you some money... then if you want the passanger one, Ill sell it to you for cheaper then what they have them for...

Post Thanks / Like
    Go here and let people know of your plans. There are plenty of cobras in the area.
    http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/index.php
    A Md group has breakfast Sundays at 8AM at the Bob Evans in Bowie, Rte 301 and Rte 50.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Go here and let people know of your plans. There are plenty of cobras in the area.
    http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/index.php
    A Md group has breakfast Sundays at 8AM at the Bob Evans in Bowie, Rte 301 and Rte 50.
    Thanks Craig. Thats only 15 miles from me. I'll reach out to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Oh.... and when you get stuck on something, just close your eyes and dream of doing this someday soon.......
    Thats beautiful, Gumball... off into the sunset...