BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Will it fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Will it fit?

Yeah, I know. I need to get my build log updated. I haven't put anything out there since November. It's coming, soon. Nevertheless, this can't wait. I made a bracket (thanks EdwardB and WareagleScott) to keep my fuel pressure regulator off the firewall. I finished that up and mounted the regulator - and gauge - just now. The question is if there's enough room between the back of the Coyote and the front of the gauge. In my infinite wisdom, I neglected to measure the distance between the firewall and the back of the engine when I had it temporarily in place. You can see from the photo that this assembly sticks out nearly 5 inches. Is that going to work or do I need a do-over? If I'm going to fix it, now is the time...

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine sticks out 4.75"
    The closest the engine is to the firewall is 6". You should be good.
    I will add my regulator was in the way when I was putting the motor in. It worked but it would have been much easier had it not been there. Yours may not be in the same position as mine. You may want to consider taking it out for the engine install and then putting it back in.
    I really mounted mine to low. The harness didn't even end up going behind it. Edwardbs positioned his much better. I did not do a great job of copying his position.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Also I just took a second look at your picture. Yours is low like mine. At that height I actually have to hold a mirror in front of the gauge to read it from behind because the motor blocks the view. It works just fine but isn't optimal.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is fairly low. The bracket is mounted to the bottom of the cross member. I used a flat piece of steel and riveted it in place. Taking it out when I mount the engine will pretty easy - the regulator is held onto the bracket by two machine screws. I needed to get it in now so I could determine how long the braided lines between the hard lines and the regulator need to be.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    A bit higher up and all will be well.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a picture of how I installed mine. Replaced the supplied bracket with a flat plate and mounted it to the underside of the 2-inch tube. In this position it's 4-3/4 inches from the firewall to the gauge. It's right at 6 inches to the nearest possible interference from the engine. I didn't have to remove it to take the engine in and out, but kept a very close eye on it. It's true it takes a mirror to read the gauge at this location. I'm planning to remove the gauge anyway, once I'm satisfied the pressure is stable. Generally not considered safe practice to leave those in long term, even though many do.

The whole point of mounting it in this fashion is because of the routing of the 2015 Coyote control pack cable, clearly visible in this pic. If you choose to route in this manner (e.g. from the dash harness and PDB on the firewall DS to the PCM by the PS wheel well) this seems to be the best location for the cable (1 inch in diameter) and moving the regulator out clears the cable and gives a straight path for the feed and return fuel lines from below.

Last edited by edwardb; 02-06-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the pics, it looks like there is room for a 90* fitting, which will turn the gauge to a visible angle.
    Another option is to put a pressure line to a better location for the gauge. I am sure the gauge will mount in a standard gauge mount flange, OUTSIDE of the cockpit.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something to think about. Many engine fires are due to failed fuel pressure gauges. Best plan is to dial in the fuel pressure then replace the gauge with a pipe plug.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I like EdwardB's photo. This was where I got the idea for mounting with a flat bracket, so the only difference is that his is completed... I agree with removing the gauge once all is dialed in. I kept the plug that came with the regulator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounting on the firewall is fine. It allows ample room for adjustment and doesn't interfere with wipers or heater if you are installing them. In fact, probably easier to read the pressure indicator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure it will fit there. But do you really want it there? As you install stuff, keep in mind maintenance and repair. That's an inconvenient place to work on. If you have to R&R that part in a year or two (new parts fail), is it going to be an exercise in frustration? Remember that the body cowl is 5-6" forward of the firewall, so you'll have to reach under the body and behind the intake.

Move it over to the driver's side. Plenty of room, and easy access.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Something to think about. Many engine fires are due to failed fuel pressure gauges. Best plan is to dial in the fuel pressure then replace the gauge with a pipe plug.
    I have read of that issue as well, and question the need for the gauge, once the engines running well.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010