BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: For All The Chevy People Out There

Post Thanks / Like

For All The Chevy People Out There

I'm an unabashed fan of the GM LS engine platform and happy to pass along pics and info to any others out there. If someone if thinking about an LS in a Roadster, yes it's a great choice. It's got such a small physical profile that there is plenty of room. I'll have more than enough room for a large expanded passenger footbox, and no need to modify the engine-side of the driver's footbox to accommodate headers.

LS3_2.jpg

I'm going with a T56 Magnum which has a pretty darn big outside dimension. I'm going to have to get awfully creative with the tranny crossmember, that's for sure. It looks like everything will line up well with the potential shifter points. There are two different positions available with the stock shifter, and a 3rd location available with a different cover plate. I had to remove the shifter and top plate to get the tranny in(where the white towel is stuffed in), and will leave it off until the final install.

LS3_1.jpg

Right now the back of the tranny is just sitting on the cross-tube since my tranny crossmember if significantly mis-aligned with the frame. If I really tweak it I can get the two front bolts into the frame, but then the back isn't even close to lining up. I'll deal with that later, my goal was to get the engine in to see how far forward I can put the firewall, how the footboxes will work, etc... It's actually sitting about an inch or so too far towards the back, but I got a great idea how it would work.

LS3_3.jpg

I can't wait to wake up the 525+ hp sitting inside this engine. It's going to put a HUGE smile on my face...

-TJ

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now That's The Way You Do It!

Great Job & Man That T-56 Is Long!

That is, way, way tougher to stuff that thing in than a ZF/6-Speed.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Hat's Off To You From The Other Dark Side Guy!

PS: Shoenfeld makes IMCA headers for the LS platform so you might want to check out their website.

IMCA Modified (Adjustable) Headers
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-19-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always been a fan of mis-matched engines. If you can make it fit, but it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the LS3/TR6060/8.8" combo in mine. It works great!
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the thread jeepurz, I will be following it closely. My plan right now for the upcoming purchase and build is for an LS with a 4L60E. Not sure the trans housing will clear w/o mods.

The unanswered questions I am particularly interested in trying to get an answer for: 1) motor mount options, 2) trans mount options, 3) header choices, are custom my only option?

I am planning on moving to Phoenix within 6 months. Within 2 weeks of moving there, I will place the Mark 4 order.

-mosh1999

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mosh1999 View Post
    Thank you for the thread jeepurz, I will be following it closely. My plan right now for the upcoming purchase and build is for an LS with a 4L60E. Not sure the trans housing will clear w/o mods.

The unanswered questions I am particularly interested in trying to get an answer for: 1) motor mount options, 2) trans mount options, 3) header choices, are custom my only option?

I am planning on moving to Phoenix within 6 months. Within 2 weeks of moving there, I will place the Mark 4 order.

-mosh1999
    I won't be much help on whether the 4L60 housing will fit but can add commentary to the other questions.

1) There are several motor mount options. Choices include Mustang LS conversion mounts like Dirty Dingo or BRP Hotrods(what I used), you can get universal mounts and potentially need to modify them, or you can get "fab-your-own" kits that will include the plate steel, bushings, tabs, etc.. and you weld them up. I'm relatively happy with the BRP mounts, it's almost exactly what I was planning to fab up myself but decided my time was more valuable than building them so I just bought them.

2) Trans mount is going to have to be almost completely custom. You'll be able to start with the included one in the kit, but it will almost certainly need to get cut and rewelded to work around the pan. I just saw a build thread with a Ford AOD that had to do the same thing. Not too hard if you've got some fab'ing skills. Which you'd better if you're going to tackle that combo in an MKIV. Factory Five allows lots of customizations to make each car "personalized" but it's still expecting a Ford motor so you'll need to get creative on some things like myself and the other "odd-ball engine" builders have. If you've got 4L60 dimensions I can help measure some things to give you an idea if it'll even fit.

3) As of right now some form of custom exhaust will be needed, I have yet to find any off-the-shelf parts that could work. Soooooo many options...
    => Reverse the manifolds and get a custom j-pipe bent and welded up
    => Fab your own kits which include header flanges, bends, etc... and you cut and weld them up
    => You can start with a Ford small-block header(proper spacing) and hack the flange off and weld on an LS flange. I was going to do this but talked with a builder that side it worked OK on one side, but not at all on the other. Spent $$$$ on the original headers and wasn't worth it.
    => Some of the custom headers places might be willing to build some but that'll set you back a decent penny.

I'm planning to get a 4 into 1 into 4 collector and bag o' bends and cut weld them up. I'll tack them with MIG and let my Uncle(welder by trade) finish with TIG. They'll be covered with heat wrap anyhow so they don't need to look super perfect as if they were to be ceramic coated.

Good luck on the build!!

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a supercharged LSA in my (Australian-made) 2016 Absolute Pace 427SC. Currently putting down 504hp to the rear wheels on high octane pump gas, but will make more once it's retuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as headers, look at 2010 Camaro shorty headers flipped around so they dump forward. BBK #40200. Worked in my Daytona. Look at post #38. I had a exhaust shop make a pipe to go between the headers and the roadster side pipes.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...t-s-first-home

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
    As far as headers, look at 2010 Camaro shorty headers flipped around so they dump forward. BBK #40200. Worked in my Daytona. Look at post #38. I had a exhaust shop make a pipe to go between the headers and the roadster side pipes.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...t-s-first-home

JC
    I had planned to do this route, but failed because they hit the alternator. You can do this, but you need a high mount alternator position.
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R

Post Thanks / Like

Chevy Motor Mounts and Headers

-mosh1999
    I did a gen1 SBC with Tremec 600 install by fabricating offset adapters to utilize the existing pedestal provided for the Ford motor. Someone may have a pattern for this for the LS motor, since there are a few out there. The Tremec mount lands on the provided mounting holes with no modification.
    I did the cut and tack method of building the headers. I got an assortment of bends in 3 sizes that would slip together. This enables you to step the pipe sizes with the great benefit of easy assembly and adjustment without butt welds. Come from the four way flange with straight sections and from the flange with small diameter bend, next bend is next larger diameter and must mate with one of the straight pipes to the four way flange. Kind of fun and you will end up with at small collection of bends that didn't quite fit.
    Do this with sidepipe flanges connected and side pipe positioned correctly ( level and spaced evenly from body). Support them on jack stands with hangars in proper location.
    Obviously, motor should be in finished mounting position before header work.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you to all that replied.

1) Jeepurz was correct, wow, there are several options for installing an LS in Fox bodies, so there are several motor mounts that can work for this application. So that issue is easily taken care of.

2) Thanks to jeepurz 3 chassis pics with the motor and manual trans installed, I think a 4L60E will fit. I won't be sure until I try it, but I feel much more confident that I may only need slight modifications to the trans tunnel. If so, it may be easier to use the universal adapter LS plates that allow moving the motor forward in 1/4" increments.

3) Trans mount will have to be fabbed. I'll get the correct trans mount then go from there.

4) Thanks to Jkrueger for the link to the BBK headers. It looks like I will be able to use aftermarket shortys reversed or OE manifolds reversed. It will most likely be OE manifolds that come with the motor I will pull out of a vehicle.

I've decided to just go with a stock LS motor, pulleys, wiring, computer to get it rolling and painted for the first year of driving. Then build a real strong motor and spend money on headers and a better j pipe configuration. If I need to buy aftermarket pulley system for the first motor, I'll have to just get it. I will have the fuel system strong enough for upcoming requirement.

I'm not using a donor, but ordering the base kit and upgrades is the best choice for me due to a non Ford driveline. I still haven't decided on the rear end yet and I don't see where I will need the 3 link, so the 4 link looks just fine. Strictly a street car, no autocross. Doing an 2015 IRS looks cool, but the cost pushes the project back even farther. Does anyone have any opinions?

I've registered for the build class since the instructions can only guide me so far. Also, I can use the vacation. Building a car with fellow enthusiasts for a weekend will get my mind off work for a few days, and its only a 3 hour drive to get there. Plus, from what I've read, it will help streamline the build and I won't be having to be researching and post too questions. Anyone with build class experience?

mosh1999

Post Thanks / Like
    Save your money and do the 2015 IRS, or at the least do the 3-link. I've heard nothing but bad things about the stock 4 link in these cars. Something about roll centers and weird handling characteristics.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the semi thread hijack
    Attn: mosh1999
    I am in the process of installing a ls3 with a 4L70E. The trans will fit but on mine I had to remove the
    parking brake lever mounts. The brackets hit the pan of the trans. I have the 2015 IRS and the tailshaft
    is 1" above the crossmember to line up with the pinon. I plan to use something like the Fiero park brake
    lever so original location is not important for me. One benefit for me is more foot room with only one pedal.
    The trans A frame needs major mods to fit around the trans pan but not impossible.
    Good luck with your upcoming build

Cecil
    MKIV 8851 Complete LS3 376/480 4L70e Auto 2015 IRS 15" Wheels Rear Exhaust

Ordered 2/25/16 Delivered 3/26/16 Still building 1/1/22

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That looks awesome!!!
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
    Save your money and do the 2015 IRS, or at the least do the 3-link. I've heard nothing but bad things about the stock 4 link in these cars. Something about roll centers and weird handling characteristics.

JC
    Thank you for the response, I will check into the 3 link more that I had. It seemed like the most popular choice, but I thought it was due to it being default on the complete kit.

mosh1999

Post Thanks / Like
    II still haven't decided on the rear end yet and I don't see where I will need the 3 link, so the 4 link looks just fine. Strictly a street car, no autocross. Doing an 2015 IRS looks cool, but the cost pushes the project back even farther. Does anyone have any opinions?
    No, we don't have any opinions around here...

The 4-link solid axle setup gets a lot of negative comments. Some deserved. Some maybe not so much. Like everything, it depends. First the donor only 4-link is quite marginal in every way. So maybe some of the reputation came from that. But you are talking about non-donor, after market upper and lower control arms plus the FF coilover setup, right? For just street cruising, that will work just fine and it's very unlikely you will ever push it hard enough to experience the sometimes unpredictable geometry and bind that comes with the Mustang style 4-link. Fact is it's a bit stronger than the 3-link for straight ahead hard launches. It's handling in curves, again when pushed hard, where it can be problematic. If you ever plan to track or auto-x the car, then I agree stay away from the 4-link. Properly set up with aftermarket parts, I don't think there's a big difference in ride quality between the 3-line and 4-link solid axle setups. The new IRS is supposed to be the best performing and most comfortable setup. I'm looking forward to finding out just how much when I finally get to drive my new build. But it does add to the cost. The newer IRS center sections and knuckles/hubs are pretty reasonably priced. Some solid axle assemblies can be pretty pricey. Depending on what you're planning, the difference may not be as much as you think.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be the odd man out.

There are likely 10 million mustangs out there with 4 link and countless other cars and trucks. They work Fine.

Granted, I have only built a few with 4 link, But riding in the car and driving the car on the street there are no noticeable handling or ride characteristics from the 3 link.

On the track a 3 link or IRS is better for sure,. no argument, but for street car the 4 link works just fine.

Additionally, if you've never built a car before the 4 link is the easiest to install and there are no set up adjustment. Bolt it together and drive the crap out of it,.
    Last edited by FFinisher; 03-20-2017 at 07:38 AM.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    So have you considered axle selection based on resale value? You may not be interested in performance but what about when you go to sell the car? With the poor handling characteristics of the triangulated four-link will this be a detractor to potential buyers? Some want these cars because they look cool but others want them because of their performance potential. Choose wisely.

Post Thanks / Like
    3 link was the only option I bought. We all have to go around corners and the faster the better
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    So have you considered axle selection based on resale value? You may not be interested in performance but what about when you go to sell the car? With the poor handling characteristics of the triangulated four-link will this be a detractor to potential buyers? Some want these cars because they look cool but others want them because of their performance potential. Choose wisely.

Never had an issue selling car with 4 link.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting a Chevy engine in the car will automatically impact resale so in the grand scheme once a potential purchaser gets past that fact the effect of rear suspension choice will be pretty minimal IMO.

Jeff

22. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!! keep up the good work!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Putting a Chevy engine in the car will automatically impact resale so in the grand scheme once a potential purchaser gets past that fact the effect of rear suspension choice will be pretty minimal IMO.

Jeff
    Agreed 100%, even as the thread starter and a die-hard LS fan and builder. The only way my choice of engines won't negatively impact resale is the off-chance that a potential buyer loves the LS platform as much as I do and isn't afraid to be different. That being said, the the 550+hp LS3 that's starting in the car will be replaced with a LS2 punched out to 427. So at least it will have a 427CID powerplant which most our our cars don't. Hoping that'll at least be worth a chuckle at some point....
    It's all a moot point for me though, because I plan to heavily use this car with no intention of selling or even contemplating things that could/would affect resale value.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Atta boy, build it to drive it!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    How did that 4l60e fit with the ls engine an what mods did you do